New German car battery.

Old July 22nd 13, 08:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default New German car battery.

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:35:57 AM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, 21 July 2013 04:55:15 UTC+8, dsi1 wrote:

> >> My understanding is that the batteries in the early days lasted longer.

> >> When you got rid of a car, you'd take the battery out to use in another

> >> car. What's the low down on this? Can it be true?

> >The lead-acid battery hasn't changed that much. I can only speculate that

> >some new batteries have more thinner plates to get more CCA in a small

> >package. Or maybe old yank tanks (18-foot long cars with soft springs) did

> >not jolt the batteries so much.

> 1. Batteries did last longer because the plates were big and thick, because
>
> they HAD to be big and thick because the regulation was poor or even
>
> nonexistent.
>

> 2. Sulfation wasn't an issue because the regulation was poor, and if it was
>
> on some batteries you could pop them apart, scrape them down, and put them
>
> back together.
>

> 3. Batteries were very, very expensive. That's the real issue. You buy a new
>
> car, you move the tires and battery from the old car because tires and
>
> batteries were a substantial cost. These days, they are far cheaper.
>
> --scott

My guess is that this was in the 1940s?

Old July 22nd 13, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

dsi1 > wrote:
>On Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:35:57 AM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> 1. Batteries did last longer because the plates were big and thick, because
>> they HAD to be big and thick because the regulation was poor or even
>> nonexistent.
>>
>> 2. Sulfation wasn't an issue because the regulation was poor, and if it was
>> on some batteries you could pop them apart, scrape them down, and put them
>> back together.
>>
>> 3. Batteries were very, very expensive. That's the real issue. You buy a new
>> car, you move the tires and battery from the old car because tires and
>> batteries were a substantial cost. These days, they are far cheaper.

>My guess is that this was in the 1940s?

I don't think any of the US car manufacturers went to a regulated alternator
until 1960 or so. That made a huge difference.
--scott

Old July 22nd 13, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 07/22/2013 11:01 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On 22 Jul 2013 09:15:21 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> dsi1 > wrote:

>>> My guess is that this was in the 1940s?

>> I don't think any of the US car manufacturers went to a regulated alternator
>> until 1960 or so. That made a huge difference.
>> --scott

> My '61 Ventura still had a generator, and my '64 Bug. Think the first
> alt I saw was on my '64 Olds. Didn't pay much attention, as it never
> was an issue.
> But me and 3 mates stood on the Pontiac bumper and ****ed on the
> generator when it caught on fire.

I think MoPar was the first to use alternators, not sure what year. I
want to say 1960 or 61. I know that Studebaker got them in 1963. My
'62 still had a generator and I kept it original, didn't really have a
problem with it, but it was a heavy beast for its low output.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 22nd 13, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 7/22/2013 3:15 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
>> On Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:35:57 AM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Batteries did last longer because the plates were big and thick, because
>>> they HAD to be big and thick because the regulation was poor or even
>>> nonexistent.
>>>
>>> 2. Sulfation wasn't an issue because the regulation was poor, and if it was
>>> on some batteries you could pop them apart, scrape them down, and put them
>>> back together.
>>>
>>> 3. Batteries were very, very expensive. That's the real issue. You buy a new
>>> car, you move the tires and battery from the old car because tires and
>>> batteries were a substantial cost. These days, they are far cheaper.

>> My guess is that this was in the 1940s?

> I don't think any of the US car manufacturers went to a regulated alternator
> until 1960 or so. That made a huge difference.
> --scott

So what you're saying is that the advent of alternators allowed for
cheaper, smaller, and lighter car batteries? That's interesting. Thanks.
Old July 22nd 13, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 7/22/2013 4:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/22/2013 3:15 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> dsi1 > wrote:

>>> My guess is that this was in the 1940s?

>> I don't think any of the US car manufacturers went to a
>> regulated alternator
>> until 1960 or so. That made a huge difference.
>> --scott
>>

> So what you're saying is that the advent of alternators
> allowed for cheaper, smaller, and lighter car batteries?
> That's interesting. Thanks.

Right, but I've owned generator cars with no battery
whatsoever; bump start.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old July 22nd 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 7/22/2013 11:46 AM, AMuzi wrote:

> Right, but I've owned generator cars with no battery whatsoever; bump
> start.

A car with no batteries sounds interesting. Bump starting seems
impractical. How about starting a small engine with a .22 blank
cartridge. That would be cool.
Old July 23rd 13, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/22/2013 02:46 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 7/22/2013 4:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I don't think any of the US car manufacturers went to a
>>> regulated alternator
>>> until 1960 or so. That made a huge difference.
>>> --scott
>>>

>> So what you're saying is that the advent of alternators
>> allowed for cheaper, smaller, and lighter car batteries?
>> That's interesting. Thanks.

> Right, but I've owned generator cars with no battery whatsoever; bump
> start.

you can often bump start cars with dead batteries and alternators too -
often there's sufficient residual magnetism in the alternator cores to
self-excite.

--
fact check required
Old July 23rd 13, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, July 22, 2013 9:30:30 PM UTC-5, jim beam wrote:
> On 07/22/2013 02:46 PM, AMuzi wrote:

> >> So what you're saying is that the advent of alternators

> >> allowed for cheaper, smaller, and lighter car batteries?

> >> That's interesting. Thanks.

> > Right, but I've owned generator cars with no battery whatsoever; bump

> > start.

> you can often bump start cars with dead batteries and alternators too -
>
> often there's sufficient residual magnetism in the alternator cores to
>
> self-excite.
>

> --
>
> fact check required

James Stewart, Flight of the Phoenix movie.'bump starting' with Cartridges.
Old July 23rd 13, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_2_]

jim beam > wrote in :

> On 07/22/2013 02:46 PM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> So what you're saying is that the advent of alternators
>>> allowed for cheaper, smaller, and lighter car batteries?
>>> That's interesting. Thanks.

>> Right, but I've owned generator cars with no battery whatsoever; bump
>> start.
>>

> you can often bump start cars with dead batteries and alternators too -
> often there's sufficient residual magnetism in the alternator cores to
> self-excite.

except that has never happened. If the batt. is truly dead you can not
bump start a alt car, next time you want to try, disconect the batt and
It will NOT start. I thought you at least understood the simple stuff. KB