We Buy Junk Cars

Old June 29th 13, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

Default We Buy Junk Cars

So says a local TV commercial. What do they do with those junk cars?
Old June 29th 13, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

JR > wrote:
> So says a local TV commercial. What do they do with those junk cars?

Don't you have junk yards ?

Greg
Old June 29th 13, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 6/28/2013 6:31 PM, JR wrote:
> So says a local TV commercial. What do they do with those junk cars?

One of my customers runs a plant which disassembles them,
sending out rail cars full of steel chunks (big as a fist,
looks like black stones) and of glass, copper, aluminum etc.

No one cares what year or model, just the gross weight.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old June 29th 13, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/28/2013 06:17 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 6/28/2013 6:31 PM, JR wrote:
>> So says a local TV commercial. What do they do with those junk cars?
>>

> One of my customers runs a plant which disassembles them, sending out
> rail cars full of steel chunks (big as a fist, looks like black stones)
> and of glass, copper, aluminum etc.
>
> No one cares what year or model, just the gross weight.

it makes the people that do it very rich. plug right into government
[taxpayer] "environmental" subsidies, get paid to take old cars off the
road, and get raw materials for [what are typically] their own [or part
owned] metal smelting operations. that's ignoring the money they get
from selling used car parts. it's an absolutely awesome cash cow.

--
fact check required
Old June 29th 13, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:31:28 -0700 (PDT), JR >
wrote:

>So says a local TV commercial. What do they do with those junk cars?

Even after I stripped anything usable by pickers at a boneyard -
except tires- and told the hauler that, he came out and towed my '97
Lumina away.
And paid me 100 bucks. I didn't squeeze him for more.
Just wanted the car gone from my driveway.
This one had a set of year-old tires I paid $500 for, so they could
probably be sold for at least $100. I used to buy used tires.
But I had no need for 15" tires and didn't want the hassle of selling
them.
There was probably about a ton of steel and aluminum scrap in it.
Don't know the scrap prices.
Old June 29th 13, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-06-29, jim beam > wrote:
> On 06/28/2013 06:17 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 6/28/2013 6:31 PM, JR wrote:
>>> So says a local TV commercial. What do they do with those junk cars?
>>>

>> One of my customers runs a plant which disassembles them, sending out
>> rail cars full of steel chunks (big as a fist, looks like black stones)
>> and of glass, copper, aluminum etc.
>>
>> No one cares what year or model, just the gross weight.
>>

> it makes the people that do it very rich. plug right into government
> [taxpayer] "environmental" subsidies, get paid to take old cars off the
> road, and get raw materials for [what are typically] their own [or part
> owned] metal smelting operations. that's ignoring the money they get
> from selling used car parts. it's an absolutely awesome cash cow.

Usually the automobile recycling business is attacked by government. At
least it is around by me. NIMBY thing mostly. I don't recall any
environmental subsidies going to this 100+ year old industry besides the
ones like cash for clunkers were it gets it by collateral damage.

Thus most such businesses are in old neighborhoods that are currently
quite poor. Where any business is a good business and it's been a
junkyard for decades. Even when big corporate operations want to expand
they go looking for who they can buy up rather than try to build a fresh
location. Thus some retail yards end up being bought up to become
insurance yards. (where 'totaled' cars go to be auctioned off to people
with the required state licenses)

Old June 29th 13, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

JR > wrote:
> So says a local TV commercial. What do they do with those junk cars?

I think there is another type around here for cars that might have a
problem, and don't want to fix it, and don't want to list it.

I went looking for a 95 computer at a junkyard towards the country. I said
what I wanted, and waited. Finally guy said come with me. They expect you
have tools. Get in bad looking jeep, driving me around yard looking for
that year. Going through foot deep mud puddles, sliding around, dodging
others driving in mud. Looked over hillside in one section, could not find
it. While driving out close to the exit, there it was. Newly added. I got
out and took computer out. $35 .
It did work ok.

Greg
Old June 29th 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Friday, June 28, 2013 11:10:57 PM UTC-5, g wrote:
> JR > wrote:
>
> > So says a local TV commercial. What do they do with those junk cars?

> I think there is another type around here for cars that might have a
>
> problem, and don't want to fix it, and don't want to list it.
>

> I went looking for a 95 computer at a junkyard towards the country. I said
>
> what I wanted, and waited. Finally guy said come with me. They expect you
>
> have tools. Get in bad looking jeep, driving me around yard looking for
>
> that year. Going through foot deep mud puddles, sliding around, dodging
>
> others driving in mud. Looked over hillside in one section, could not find
>
> it. While driving out close to the exit, there it was. Newly added. I got
>
> out and took computer out. $35 .
>
> It did work ok.
>

> Greg

Google,,, Get R Towed (Jackson Towing Services) Get R Towed is what they call it. Sure, there are plenty of auto junk yards and scrap iron yards around here.
Old June 29th 13, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/28/2013 08:54 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2013-06-29, jim beam > wrote:
>>>>

>>> One of my customers runs a plant which disassembles them, sending out
>>> rail cars full of steel chunks (big as a fist, looks like black stones)
>>> and of glass, copper, aluminum etc.
>>>
>>> No one cares what year or model, just the gross weight.
>>>

>> it makes the people that do it very rich. plug right into government
>> [taxpayer] "environmental" subsidies, get paid to take old cars off the
>> road, and get raw materials for [what are typically] their own [or part
>> owned] metal smelting operations. that's ignoring the money they get
>> from selling used car parts. it's an absolutely awesome cash cow.

> Usually the automobile recycling business is attacked by government. At
> least it is around by me. NIMBY thing mostly. I don't recall any
> environmental subsidies going to this 100+ year old industry besides the
> ones like cash for clunkers were it gets it by collateral damage.

indeed, there's plenty of local nimbyism, but the states have come to
love junk dealers because they're "green". and "recycling saves the
planet"...

> Thus most such businesses are in old neighborhoods that are currently
> quite poor. Where any business is a good business and it's been a
> junkyard for decades. Even when big corporate operations want to expand
> they go looking for who they can buy up rather than try to build a fresh
> location. Thus some retail yards end up being bought up to become
> insurance yards. (where 'totaled' cars go to be auctioned off to people
> with the required state licenses)

that's local, not state. i'm watching that with a local independent
junkyard close to me right now - residential developments are slowly
moving in the junkyard's direction, and the local government has
correspondingly changed from being pro the local employer to anti the
negative influence on house prices [i.e. tax base].

they'll have to move at some point, and their market share will be
absorbed by the competing 800lb gorilla, also locally based, who is much
better politically connected [at the state and federal level] and
situated between the dock and railyard - an unassailable location.

--
fact check required
Old June 29th 13, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

Brent wrote:
> On 2013-06-29, jim > wrote:
>>>>

>>> One of my customers runs a plant which disassembles them, sending out
>>> rail cars full of steel chunks (big as a fist, looks like black stones)
>>> and of glass, copper, aluminum etc.
>>>
>>> No one cares what year or model, just the gross weight.
>>>

>> it makes the people that do it very rich. plug right into government
>> [taxpayer] "environmental" subsidies, get paid to take old cars off the
>> road, and get raw materials for [what are typically] their own [or part
>> owned] metal smelting operations. that's ignoring the money they get
>> from selling used car parts. it's an absolutely awesome cash cow.

> Usually the automobile recycling business is attacked by government. At
> least it is around by me. NIMBY thing mostly. I don't recall any
> environmental subsidies going to this 100+ year old industry besides the
> ones like cash for clunkers were it gets it by collateral damage.
>
> Thus most such businesses are in old neighborhoods that are currently
> quite poor. Where any business is a good business and it's been a
> junkyard for decades. Even when big corporate operations want to expand
> they go looking for who they can buy up rather than try to build a fresh
> location. Thus some retail yards end up being bought up to become
> insurance yards. (where 'totaled' cars go to be auctioned off to people
> with the required state licenses)

There was a big problem here several years ago with permits. Nobody had
one...so the broken-on-the-roadside cars kept getting tagged with the
bright orange ABANDONED stickers by the police, but no one could come
tow them away....becasue there was no "away" (reminded me of my side of
the "put your toys away" argument I had as a five year old kid).

Eventually someone swooped in with some kind of federal grant loan to
get things going again.

GW