Fuel comparison charts

Old June 27th 13, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Existential Angst[_2_]

Default Fuel comparison charts

Perty inneresting.
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf

Apropos of some recent diesel discussions, diesel fuel all by itself should
give 13% more mpgs, just from the higher btu's per gallon alone.
And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more expensive at the
pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol

It also becomes clear how gasahol shoves it in the motorist a little deeper,
as well -- radically lower btu's per gallon.

Unbeknownst to most people, regular gas has more btu's/gal than high test --
by dint of the higher stability of the tertiary carbocation intermediate, in
the combustion process.... no foolin.
Texaco was successfully sued over this li'l factoid, in their false
advertising of their premium fuels. Someone at Texaco didn't pay attention
in Organic Chem I.

#6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:
http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/he...on%20fuels.pdf

The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no fractionating
at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur....
But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could **** us
for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....

Some other useful charts:
http://www.chestnuthillchimney.com/C...ty%20Costs.htm
http://www.energykinetics.com/saving...parisons.shtml

Fwiw.
--
EA

Old June 27th 13, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
harryagain

"Existential Angst" > wrote in message

> Perty inneresting.
> http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf
>
> Apropos of some recent diesel discussions, diesel fuel all by itself
> should give 13% more mpgs, just from the higher btu's per gallon alone.
> And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more expensive at the
> pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol
>
> It also becomes clear how gasahol shoves it in the motorist a little
> deeper, as well -- radically lower btu's per gallon.
>
> Unbeknownst to most people, regular gas has more btu's/gal than high
> test -- by dint of the higher stability of the tertiary carbocation
> intermediate, in the combustion process.... no foolin.
> Texaco was successfully sued over this li'l factoid, in their false
> advertising of their premium fuels. Someone at Texaco didn't pay
> attention in Organic Chem I.
>
> #6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:
> http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/he...on%20fuels.pdf
>
> The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no fractionating
> at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur....
> But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could ****
> us for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....
>
> Some other useful charts:
> http://www.chestnuthillchimney.com/C...ty%20Costs.htm
> http://www.energykinetics.com/saving...parisons.shtml
>
> Fwiw.
> --
> EA

Interesting but misleading charts some of them.
Intentionally so probably. Deliberate misinformation.
Not very useful to the average home owner.

The most useful information of all is concealed.

Old June 27th 13, 09:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Rodwell

> Perty inneresting.
> http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf
>
> Apropos of some recent diesel discussions, diesel fuel all by itself should
> give 13% more mpgs, just from the higher btu's per gallon alone.
> And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more expensive at the
> pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol
>
> It also becomes clear how gasahol shoves it in the motorist a little deeper,
> as well -- radically lower btu's per gallon.
>
> Unbeknownst to most people, regular gas has more btu's/gal than high test --
> by dint of the higher stability of the tertiary carbocation intermediate, in
> the combustion process.... no foolin.
> Texaco was successfully sued over this li'l factoid, in their false
> advertising of their premium fuels. Someone at Texaco didn't pay attention
> in Organic Chem I.
>
> #6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:
> http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/he...on%20fuels.pdf
>
> The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no fractionating
> at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur....
> But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could **** us
> for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....
>
> Some other useful charts:
> http://www.chestnuthillchimney.com/C...ty%20Costs.htm
> http://www.energykinetics.com/saving...parisons.shtml
>
> Fwiw.

Why misleading? You may use more fuel per kilometer/mile but (where I
live at least) the ethanol added fuel is cheaper to purchase.

Old June 27th 13, 10:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Ed Pawlowski

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 01:16:03 -0400, "Existential Angst"
> wrote:

>#6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:
>http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/he...on%20fuels.pdf
>
>The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no fractionating
>at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur....
>But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could **** us
>for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....

Not only de-sulfurization, but the stuff has to be heated to be
pumped. It has to be heated in the range of 250F degrees to flow and
be atomized to burn. In industrial boilers, the boilers are started
with #2 or natural gas, then some of the steam is diverted to a
pre-heat tank with heat exchanger for the oil. If you shut your car
down, it is not going to restart as the fuel injectors and lines will
be like carrying molasses.
Old June 27th 13, 12:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
RBM

On 6/27/2013 1:16 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
> Perty inneresting.
> http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf
>
> Apropos of some recent diesel discussions, diesel fuel all by itself should
> give 13% more mpgs, just from the higher btu's per gallon alone.
> And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more expensive at the
> pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol
>
> It also becomes clear how gasahol shoves it in the motorist a little deeper,
> as well -- radically lower btu's per gallon.
>
> Unbeknownst to most people, regular gas has more btu's/gal than high test --
> by dint of the higher stability of the tertiary carbocation intermediate, in
> the combustion process.... no foolin.
> Texaco was successfully sued over this li'l factoid, in their false
> advertising of their premium fuels. Someone at Texaco didn't pay attention
> in Organic Chem I.
>
> #6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:
> http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/he...on%20fuels.pdf
>
> The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no fractionating
> at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur....
> But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could **** us
> for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....
>
> Some other useful charts:
> http://www.chestnuthillchimney.com/C...ty%20Costs.htm
> http://www.energykinetics.com/saving...parisons.shtml
>
> Fwiw.

As far as diesel vehicles go, I think at this point they have
effectively removed every reason a person would buy one. You use to pay
a boat load more for a diesel engine vehicle because the fuel mileage
was considerably better than gasoline, they had plenty of power, and
they lasted forever, not to mention that diesel was cheap.
I have a 2010 "clean diesel" van which gets 17 MPG compared to 22 MPG on
my "pre emissions" 2006 version of the same truck. This truck has a tank
of urea, which gets injected into the exhaust system, as well as a
catalytic converter, and a particulate filter, attached to a pile of
chips and sensors and exposed wires all over the engine and exhaust
system. Anything associated with the exhaust/emission system that
malfunctions and allows pollutants out the tail pipe, invokes a check
engine light and a dash board message," 20 starts rem ", which means you
have to stop what you're doing and get it to the dealer now, which in my
case the nearest dealer is in a hell hole called Yonkers (just kiddin)
All the new "clean diesels" have a 100,000 mile warranty on the
emissions systems, so at least these huge expenses don't come out of
pocket, but I sure don't want to own this thing one minute after the
warranty is up.
Old June 27th 13, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Existential Angst[_2_]

"Rodwell" > wrote in message
. au...
> On 27/06/2013 1:16 PM, Existential Angst wrote:
>> Perty inneresting.
>> http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf
>>
>> Apropos of some recent diesel discussions, diesel fuel all by itself
>> should
>> give 13% more mpgs, just from the higher btu's per gallon alone.
>> And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more expensive at the
>> pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol
>>
>> It also becomes clear how gasahol shoves it in the motorist a little
>> deeper,
>> as well -- radically lower btu's per gallon.
>>
>> Unbeknownst to most people, regular gas has more btu's/gal than high
>> test --
>> by dint of the higher stability of the tertiary carbocation intermediate,
>> in
>> the combustion process.... no foolin.
>> Texaco was successfully sued over this li'l factoid, in their false
>> advertising of their premium fuels. Someone at Texaco didn't pay
>> attention
>> in Organic Chem I.
>>
>> #6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:
>> http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/he...on%20fuels.pdf
>>
>> The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no
>> fractionating
>> at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur....
>> But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could ****
>> us
>> for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....
>>
>> Some other useful charts:
>> http://www.chestnuthillchimney.com/C...ty%20Costs.htm
>> http://www.energykinetics.com/saving...parisons.shtml
>>
>> Fwiw.
>>

> Why misleading? You may use more fuel per kilometer/mile but (where I live
> at least) the ethanol added fuel is cheaper to purchase.

Ultimately the bottom line, from an immediate wallet pov, is the dollars per
mile req'd to operate a vehicle, or dollars per degree to heat a house..
Some of those factors are the cost to actually produce the fuel/bring it to
market, and as was alluded to by RBM, the expense of utilizing it, such as
complex diesels.
Along these lines, Consumer Reports evaluates "the lowest cost to own over 5
years", of which fuel is just one component.

Paying big bucks up front for the privilege of burning a cheap fuel -- to
wit, electricity -- most often yields a payback that's waaay too long -- ie,
the Volt, Leaf over much less expensive traditional cars.

Recently discussed were the methane stores lying at the bottom of oceans,
3,000 years worth, they're saying. Dudn't really matter what the energy
density of a fuel is, if you can pretty much just suck it up with a straw.

Hydrogen would appear to be the, uh, Bomb, since every kitchen with a solar
cell on the window sill can produce it. Altho usefully packaging it would
be a bit, uh, volatile.

Just fuel for thought.
--
EA

Old June 27th 13, 02:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Home Guy

RBM wrote:

> > And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more
> > expensive at the pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol

Around here (Ontario, Canada) diesel is usually less expensive than
regular gasoline.

As of this minute, prices a

Diesel: $1.10 CAD/Liter ($3.97 USD per-US Gallon) (0.80 Euros/liter)
Gasoline: $1.19 CAD/Liter ($4.50 USD / Gallon) (0.87 Euros/liter)

This is 87-octane gas with probably 10% ethanol.

Premium gasoline (91 or 92 octane) cost is:

$1.32 CAD/liter ($4.77 USD/gallon) (0.96 Euros/liter)

> As far as diesel vehicles go, I think at this point they have
> effectively removed every reason a person would buy one.

Diesel cars should be BANNED.

Or, they should force people who drive diesel cars to have to smell the
exhaust coming from their tail pipes. Feed back some of that exhaust
through a small pipe into the passenger compartment.
Old June 27th 13, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
richard

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 01:16:03 -0400, Existential Angst wrote:

> Perty inneresting.
> http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf
>
> Apropos of some recent diesel discussions, diesel fuel all by itself should
> give 13% more mpgs, just from the higher btu's per gallon alone.
> And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more expensive at the
> pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol
>
> It also becomes clear how gasahol shoves it in the motorist a little deeper,
> as well -- radically lower btu's per gallon.
>
> Unbeknownst to most people, regular gas has more btu's/gal than high test --
> by dint of the higher stability of the tertiary carbocation intermediate, in
> the combustion process.... no foolin.
> Texaco was successfully sued over this li'l factoid, in their false
> advertising of their premium fuels. Someone at Texaco didn't pay attention
> in Organic Chem I.
>
> #6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:
> http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/he...on%20fuels.pdf
>
> The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no fractionating
> at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur....
> But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could **** us
> for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....
>
> Some other useful charts:
> http://www.chestnuthillchimney.com/C...ty%20Costs.htm
> http://www.energykinetics.com/saving...parisons.shtml
>
> Fwiw.

Just to set you straight on the prices, diesel had always been 10 cents
cheaper than regular gas.
When fuel prices surged up to around the $2.50 mark for the first time,
people put up a big fuss over it. The prices dropped back down a little.
Then went right back, up and over $3.00 a gallon.
But the future markets brokers didn't want to lose their cash cow so they
made diesel more expensive.
Why? Because truckers get a tax break on the fuel.
Unfortunately, that action ultimately practically killed off the nation's
MUST have trucking industry to the point where only those that can afford
the fuel, are still in business.

The next step, which probably won't happen for another decade or two, is to
go to distilled alcohol fuel. Tests have shown that used cooking oil will
run just fine in diesel engines with no conversions.
Old June 27th 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
harryagain

"richard" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 01:16:03 -0400, Existential Angst wrote:
>
>> Perty inneresting.
>> http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf
>>
>> Apropos of some recent diesel discussions, diesel fuel all by itself
>> should
>> give 13% more mpgs, just from the higher btu's per gallon alone.
>> And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more expensive at the
>> pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol
>>
>> It also becomes clear how gasahol shoves it in the motorist a little
>> deeper,
>> as well -- radically lower btu's per gallon.
>>
>> Unbeknownst to most people, regular gas has more btu's/gal than high
>> test --
>> by dint of the higher stability of the tertiary carbocation intermediate,
>> in
>> the combustion process.... no foolin.
>> Texaco was successfully sued over this li'l factoid, in their false
>> advertising of their premium fuels. Someone at Texaco didn't pay
>> attention
>> in Organic Chem I.
>>
>> #6 fuel oil has markedly higher energy per gal:
>> http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/he...on%20fuels.pdf
>>
>> The thing about #6 fuel oil is that it may need little to no
>> fractionating
>> at all, radically lowering its delivered cost. Yeah, the sulfur....
>> But mebbe by adding another mere 500 lbs to each vehicle, they could ****
>> us
>> for a de-sulfuization unit in each car.....
>>
>> Some other useful charts:
>> http://www.chestnuthillchimney.com/C...ty%20Costs.htm
>> http://www.energykinetics.com/saving...parisons.shtml
>>
>> Fwiw.

> Just to set you straight on the prices, diesel had always been 10 cents
> cheaper than regular gas.
> When fuel prices surged up to around the $2.50 mark for the first time,
> people put up a big fuss over it. The prices dropped back down a little.
> Then went right back, up and over $3.00 a gallon.
> But the future markets brokers didn't want to lose their cash cow so they
> made diesel more expensive.
> Why? Because truckers get a tax break on the fuel.
> Unfortunately, that action ultimately practically killed off the nation's
> MUST have trucking industry to the point where only those that can afford
> the fuel, are still in business.
>
> The next step, which probably won't happen for another decade or two, is
> go to distilled alcohol fuel. Tests have shown that used cooking oil will
> run just fine in diesel engines with no conversions.

Diesel engines are over 50% of cars in the UK.
Some diesel engines will run on used cooking oil but not all.
The new technology ones won't.

The latest diesel engine cars over here have ceramic exhaust gas filters as
well as catalysers.
They rely on a high speed run to burn the carbon out of the filters every
now and then.
If you don't do this, the filter gets f***d and a new one costs a fortune.

And fuel is getting on for $11/gallon. Our gallons are a bit bigger than
yours.

Old June 27th 13, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
The Daring Dufas[_3_]

On 6/27/2013 8:31 AM, Homo Gay wrote:
> RBM wrote:
>
>>> And, funnily enough, diesel appears to be about 13% more
>>> expensive at the pump!!?? Conspiratorial coincidence?? lol

> Around here (Ontario, Canada) diesel is usually less expensive than
> regular gasoline.
>
> As of this minute, prices a
>
> Diesel: $1.10 CAD/Liter ($3.97 USD per-US Gallon) (0.80 Euros/liter)
> Gasoline: $1.19 CAD/Liter ($4.50 USD / Gallon) (0.87 Euros/liter)
>
> This is 87-octane gas with probably 10% ethanol.
>
> Premium gasoline (91 or 92 octane) cost is:
>
> $1.32 CAD/liter ($4.77 USD/gallon) (0.96 Euros/liter)
>
>> As far as diesel vehicles go, I think at this point they have
>> effectively removed every reason a person would buy one.

> Diesel cars should be BANNED.
>
> Or, they should force people who drive diesel cars to have to smell the
> exhaust coming from their tail pipes. Feed back some of that exhaust
> through a small pipe into the passenger compartment.

Hey Homo Gay, if Cannabis oil is added to the diesel, you can cure
everyone of cancer and make traffic slow down because all the other
drivers will be stoned. It would be a perfect world for you! ^_^

TDD