Ignition switch wiring??

Old March 27th 12, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Default Ignition switch wiring??

Someone needed help with wiring on his newly acquired kit car. As far as
he knows the donor was a 73 Beetle (US).
He claims the VIN starts 1332-something. That does not correspond to any
VW of that era.

The wires coming from the ignition switch a

a thick red wire
a thin red wire
a black wire
a white wire

He thinks the white one is for headlights and needs to confirm all wires
before hooking it up to the rest of the wiring that has been completely
redone (EZ-wire aftermarket system)

These wire colors don't match a 72-73 up diagram AT ALL for a super
beetle. (Which, I believe, was the only model sold in the US in 73, right?)

What the heck does he have??

I told him since everything else in the vehicle is all messed up or
aftermarket, just figure out what key position energizes what wire and
use them to your liking.

Jan
Old March 27th 12, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

You would think the 4 wires would have to be
Batt +12 ( thick red)
Switched +12 ( thin red?)
Starter Solenoid
Lights.
As you say, best to get somebody with a multimeter to verify it and
connect to suit. 1332xxxxxxxxx = chassis number?

Old March 28th 12, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Did Super Beetles do away with the battery power going first to the
light switch? I don't know Super wiring that well, but on std beetles
the main power coming from the battery to the front goes to the light
switch, not the ignition, if I'm not mistaken. It then splits from there.

Old March 29th 12, 08:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

It was about 1966 in Aust they changed from batt +12 going only to Lighting
Sw only to going to both Ig Sw and Lighting( term 30 from memory).As far as
I know on all models.. I,ve seen variations though but they may have been
"repairs' done subsequently. I often wondered whether, if VW had an excess
of "switch A" , did a short term mod to use up the excess stock!.

Old March 31st 12, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Gary Tateosian

On Mar 26, 9:45*pm, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
.. (Which, I believe, was the only model sold in the US in 73, right?)

We got standard beetles as well as super's all the way up until the
vetr only years.
Old April 2nd 12, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_9_]

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:34:14 +0200, Gary Tateosian >
wrote:

> On Mar 26, 9:45 pm, Jan Andersson >
> wrote:
> . (Which, I believe, was the only model sold in the US in 73, right?)
>

> We got standard beetles as well as super's all the way up until the
> vetr only years.

vetr?

J.
Old April 4th 12, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Gary Tateosian

On Apr 2, 5:43*pm, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:34:14 +0200, Gary Tateosian >
> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 26, 9:45 pm, Jan Andersson >
> > wrote:
> > . (Which, I believe, was the only model sold in the US in 73, right?)

> > *We got standard beetles as well as super's all the way up until the
> > vetr only years.

> vetr?
>
> J.
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary email client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Vert...

=-)
Old May 13th 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Tuesday, 27 March 2012 13:15:38 UTC+10:30, Jan Andersson wrote:
> Someone needed help with wiring on his newly acquired kit car. As far as
> he knows the donor was a 73 Beetle (US).
> He claims the VIN starts 1332-something. That does not correspond to any
> VW of that era.
> Jan

Superbug chassis numbers for 1973
133,2000,001 - 133,3200,000
So the number quotes is definitley from a 73 superbug

Just for info, the stadnard bug numbers for that year were
113,2000,001 - 113,3200,000

Rob