Laguna Seca is booked!

Old March 23rd 12, 03:45 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
Alan Baker

Default Laguna Seca is booked!

In article
gpsman > wrote:

> maniacal x-posting left intact
>
> On Mar 23, 1:49*am, Alan Baker > wrote:
> >
> > On June 11, I'll be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to take the 3 day open
> > wheel race driving course at the Skip Barber Racing School.

> As a guest Instructor's Instructor, I presume...

Nope.

> Wish I could be there to see you teach them that rises and dips in the
> track have no effect on traction and "nyuh-uh" everything else they
> try to tell you.

Why would you imagine that?

--
"The iPhone doesn't have...
....well, since Edwin seems to have finally crawled away for good,
Old March 23rd 12, 03:45 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
Alan Baker

In article
N8N > wrote:

> On Mar 23, 1:49*am, Alan Baker > wrote:
> > Bless my family and friends! The asked me what I wanted for my 50th
> > birthday and they all came through. I'm going to get a chance to fulfill
> > a long time dream.
> >
> > On June 11, I'll be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to take the 3 day open
> > wheel race driving course at the Skip Barber Racing School.
> >
> > My girlfriend and I are going to turn it into a vacation, too: drive
> > down from Vancouver on the preceding weekend, do the course (while the
> > GF enjoys the Monterey Peninsula), then take a leisurely driving
> > vacation back. A little of the wine country, a little of the coast
> > highway... ...redwood forest.
> >
> > It's going to be great.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > --
> > "The iPhone doesn't have...
> > ...well, since Edwin seems to have finally crawled away for good,
> > * *I guess I'll let him off the hook

> Sounds like fun, congrats!

Thanks!

Old March 23rd 12, 03:46 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
Alan Baker

In article >,
Sandman > wrote:

> In article >,
> Alan Baker > wrote:
>
> > Bless my family and friends! The asked me what I wanted for my 50th
> > birthday and they all came through. I'm going to get a chance to fulfill
> > a long time dream.
> >
> > On June 11, I'll be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to take the 3 day open
> > wheel race driving course at the Skip Barber Racing School.
> >
> > My girlfriend and I are going to turn it into a vacation, too: drive
> > down from Vancouver on the preceding weekend, do the course (while the
> > GF enjoys the Monterey Peninsula), then take a leisurely driving
> > vacation back. A little of the wine country, a little of the coast
> > highway... ...redwood forest.
> >
> > It's going to be great.
> >
> > :-)

> Congratulations! You look younger on your pics

Thanks!

I have a painting that does my aging for me.

;-)

Old March 23rd 12, 03:55 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
Alan Baker

In article
-hh > wrote:

> On Mar 23, 1:49*am, Alan Baker > wrote:
> > Bless my family and friends! The asked me what I wanted for my 50th
> > birthday and they all came through. I'm going to get a chance to fulfill
> > a long time dream.
> >
> > On June 11, I'll be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to take the 3 day open
> > wheel race driving course at the Skip Barber Racing School.

> Have fun.

Thanks! I AM going to try.

;-)

> > My girlfriend and I are going to turn it into a vacation, too: drive
> > down from Vancouver on the preceding weekend, do the course (while the
> > GF enjoys the Monterey Peninsula), then take a leisurely driving
> > vacation back. A little of the wine country, a little of the coast
> > highway... ...redwood forest.

> IMO, the Monterey Aquarium isn't to be missed (by both of you); the
> Gilroy garlic festival is in July (YMMV if this is a good or bad
> thing). For Redwoods, there's actually a lot of choices; I'd spent a
> few hours at "Big Basin" State Park awhile back and 'twas fairly nice.

I've heard that about the aquarium too, so it's now definitely on the
list.

> > It's going to be great.

> And even on-topic if you swing by Palo Alto (Apple HQ) and one of the
> area's golf courses.

While I'd love to play golf on this trip, I'm limited by both the fact
that I'm already asking my GF to come with me on a trip where I'm doing
something just for me for three days of it, and by the simple logistics
of not having enough room for my clubs with everything else that will be
packed into the Miata.

At least driving by Apple's headquarters might be possible.

:-)

Old March 23rd 12, 06:22 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
Alan Baker

In article
AD > wrote:

> On Mar 23, 11:18*am, -hh > wrote:
> > On Mar 23, 1:49*am, Alan Baker > wrote:
> >
> > > Bless my family and friends! The asked me what I wanted for my 50th
> > > birthday and they all came through. I'm going to get a chance to fulfill
> > > a long time dream.

> > > On June 11, I'll be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to take the 3 day open
> > > wheel race driving course at the Skip Barber Racing School.

> > Have fun.
> >
> > > My girlfriend and I are going to turn it into a vacation, too: drive
> > > down from Vancouver on the preceding weekend, do the course (while the
> > > GF enjoys the Monterey Peninsula), then take a leisurely driving
> > > vacation back. A little of the wine country, a little of the coast
> > > highway... ...redwood forest.

> > IMO, the Monterey Aquarium isn't to be missed (by both of you); the
> > Gilroy garlic festival is in July (YMMV if this is a good or bad
> > thing). *For Redwoods, there's actually a lot of choices; I'd spent a
> > few hours at "Big Basin" State Park awhile back and 'twas fairly nice.
> >
> > > It's going to be great.

> > And even on-topic if you swing by Palo Alto (Apple HQ) and one of the
> > area's golf courses.
> >

> skip all that bay area nonsense and
> head straight for the sierras. yosemite probably will have retained
> some of the snow
> on 120 closer to the exit on the nevada exit even in june. The meadows
> are not to be missed,
> especially if you got a willing partner to roll in the hay with. Not
> that it stops the locals.

Sounds good to me...

....but I will have to clear it with my GF.

:-)

> Borat: Look, there is woman in car. Can we follow her, get her and
> maybe have sexy time with her?
> Driving instructor: No! No, you cannot do that.
> Borat: Why not?
> Driving instructor: Because a woman has the right to choose who
> she has sex with.
> Borat: [incredously] What!?
> Driving instructor: Yeah, how about that?
> Borat: You joke, right?
> Driving instructor: No, there must be consent.
> Borat: Ha-ha-ha!
> Driving instructor: That good, huh?
> Borat: Not good for me.
>
> And, besides, the roads up there are reasonably twisty. If you turn
> left from I-120 onto 385

"Reasonably twisty" sounds like a lot of fun.

> there is a looong upgrade where you'd have a huge workout for the
> motor
> at 65-85mph in 3rd. I'd wonder if miata could climb it in 4th. I doubt
> it will
> with a passenger.

That will depend on whether or not I've done anything to the engine by
then (unlikely, but not out of the question). ;-)

> Fun to see suv driver's faces when you roar past them in a low
> displacement 4 pot compact :^]

Or a high displacement 8 pot in a tiny sports car. :-D

Old March 24th 12, 02:32 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
gpsman

On Mar 23, 11:45*am, Alan Baker > wrote:

> *gpsman > wrote:
> > maniacal x-posting left intact

> > On Mar 23, 1:49*am, Alan Baker > wrote:

> > > On June 11, I'll be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to take the 3 day open
> > > wheel race driving course at the Skip Barber Racing School.

> > As a guest Instructor's Instructor, I presume...

> Nope.

Ha!

> > Wish I could be there to see you teach them that rises and dips in the
> > track have no effect on traction and "nyuh-uh" everything else they
> > try to tell you.

> Why would you imagine that?

Acause there's at least one of you in virtually every class of
experienced motorists; nitwit stuck in the first stage of competency
with the intent to show the instructors all they don't know.

You'll see... if your story isn't complete bull****, which seems most
likely...
-----

- gpsman
Old March 24th 12, 02:46 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
a425couple

"Alan Baker" > wrote in message...
> Bless my family and friends! The asked me what I wanted for my 50th
> birthday and they all came through. I'm going to get a chance to fulfill
> a long time dream.
> On June 11, I'll be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to take the 3 day open
> wheel race driving course at the Skip Barber Racing School. ---
> It's going to be great.

How wonderful for you!
Perhaps you earlier missed this post of mine
(certainly partly intended for YOU!)

Over the years some posters from these newsgroups have
indicated interest in attending auto races on road courses.
Please, come out and enjoy!

It would be best if you sent an email to my listed address:

(Or you can post on this newsgroup)
so I can directly send you further information on the races
in a timely manner. Our organization's schedule is now set.

My organization will be racing at Mission's (about 20 miles
east of Vancouver) "River's Edge" track on June 10,
and Sept 2 & 3.
On the afternoon of our races you can view 6 totally different
30 minute races, ranging from big production looking cars
(yes, some very similar to NASCAR), to the smaller production
looking cars (plenty of Miatas), to formula, and sports racers.
We will be having 15 races (plus one or two endurance races)
this year in Oregon, Washington, and BC.

If we communicate beforehand, I'm quite confident I can get
you in with free pit passes (and no, you will not be required
to get your hands dirty on my, or anyone else's car - unless
you are wanting to!)
I am hoping I can meet a number of you in person
(but actually - if you want in, but wish to not meet me,
that is ok, and the free admission offer is still good).

So, obviously you will not be at that June race.
Please keep in touch about the Sept. 2 &3 one.
(Yes, I would be very happy to get you "hooked"!)
Old March 24th 12, 02:53 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
Alan Baker

In article
gpsman > wrote:

> maniacal x-posting left intact
>
> On Mar 23, 11:45*am, Alan Baker > wrote:
> >
> > *gpsman > wrote:
> > > maniacal x-posting left intact

> > > As a guest Instructor's Instructor, I presume...

> > Nope.

> Ha!
>
> > > Wish I could be there to see you teach them that rises and dips in the
> > > track have no effect on traction and "nyuh-uh" everything else they
> > > try to tell you.

> > Why would you imagine that?

> Acause there's at least one of you in virtually every class of
> experienced motorists; nitwit stuck in the first stage of competency
> with the intent to show the instructors all they don't know.

LOL

> You'll see... if your story isn't complete bull****, which seems most
> likely...

LOL

Old March 24th 12, 04:28 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
gpsman

On Mar 24, 10:53*am, Alan Baker > wrote:
> LOL
> LOL

Yes. All you could possibly learn is that stupid people aren't very
good at high speed driving, or learning.

Been there, seen it, over and over.
----

- gpsman
Old March 24th 12, 06:17 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.sport.golf,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,rec.autos.sport.f1
Alan Baker

In article