Knock Knock

Old August 29th 11, 04:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default Knock Knock

Had a new tyre fitted to front n/s on the 156 recently.

Drove away and at the first turn a LOUD knocking from the
front wheel, so turned around, did some circles on the ind.
est. where the tyre place was, then went back and insisted
they have a look. (by then the noise had gone quieter, but
not gone away.

Car jacked up again, no play anywhere, couldn't see
anything wrong.

Over the next week or so the noise *almost* went away but
comes bock on sharp right-hand full-lock turns. #1 son
reckoned it sounded like a drive shaft and volunteered to
look, and found the cause.

The balance weight was catching the suspension to arm on
right turns. The reason it went quiet was that the weight
has been ground down and pushed around the wheel rim.

Oh well, back to the tyre place tomorrow. At least is not
yet more expense as we feared.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old August 29th 11, 05:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 29/08/2011 16:40, R C Nesbit wrote:
> Had a new tyre fitted to front n/s on the 156 recently.
>
> Drove away and at the first turn a LOUD knocking from the
> front wheel, so turned around, did some circles on the ind.
> est. where the tyre place was, then went back and insisted
> they have a look. (by then the noise had gone quieter, but
> not gone away.
>
> Car jacked up again, no play anywhere, couldn't see
> anything wrong.
>
> Over the next week or so the noise *almost* went away but
> comes bock on sharp right-hand full-lock turns. #1 son
> reckoned it sounded like a drive shaft and volunteered to
> look, and found the cause.
>
> The balance weight was catching the suspension to arm on
> right turns. The reason it went quiet was that the weight
> has been ground down and pushed around the wheel rim.
>
> Oh well, back to the tyre place tomorrow. At least is not
> yet more expense as we feared.

Had similar once before. It is a tad un-nerving innit.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 147 TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 30th 11, 08:54 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"Catman" > wrote in message
> On 29/08/2011 16:40, R C Nesbit wrote:
>> Had a new tyre fitted to front n/s on the 156 recently.
>>
>> Drove away and at the first turn a LOUD knocking from the
>> front wheel, so turned around, did some circles on the ind.
>> est. where the tyre place was, then went back and insisted
>> they have a look. (by then the noise had gone quieter, but
>> not gone away.
>>
>> Car jacked up again, no play anywhere, couldn't see
>> anything wrong.
>>
>> Over the next week or so the noise *almost* went away but
>> comes bock on sharp right-hand full-lock turns. #1 son
>> reckoned it sounded like a drive shaft and volunteered to
>> look, and found the cause.
>>
>> The balance weight was catching the suspension to arm on
>> right turns. The reason it went quiet was that the weight
>> has been ground down and pushed around the wheel rim.
>>
>> Oh well, back to the tyre place tomorrow. At least is not
>> yet more expense as we feared.
>>

> Had similar once before. It is a tad un-nerving innit.
>
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3

Cool thanks for sharing that. I wonder if that's why I lost some weights
recently? Half a mile from home after fitting, big bang. Took it in to
another tyre place and they said there were no weights on either of the
wheels. They fitted new ones and it's been fine since. ( Apart from the
dreaded Motor Control Failure coming on every so often and going away after
24-48 hours! )

TonyB
156 mJTD 2004

Old September 1st 11, 07:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 30/08/2011 20:54, TonyB wrote:

<snip>
>>> Oh well, back to the tyre place tomorrow. At least is not
>>> yet more expense as we feared.
>>>

>> Had similar once before. It is a tad un-nerving innit.
>>
>> --
>> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3

> Cool thanks for sharing that. I wonder if that's why I lost some weights
> recently? Half a mile from home after fitting, big bang. Took it in to
> another tyre place and they said there were no weights on either of the
> wheels. They fitted new ones and it's been fine since. ( Apart from the
> dreaded Motor Control Failure coming on every so often and going away
> after 24-48 hours! )

Sometimes the clearance twixt (for example) calipers and rims is too
small to get weights in. But that doesn't show when the wheel is on the
balancer....

GT is due for an MOT end of the month. Intermittent airbag light will be
a fail I assume. Headlights seem totally banjaxed pointing any which
way, and at least one of the adjuster motors is buzzing like a ticked
off wasp.

THat's before we get to the wear items like pads, discs and rubber and
the *nice* bits like the stereo controls that need replacing on the left.

Old September 2nd 11, 10:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"Catman" > wrote in message
> On 30/08/2011 20:54, TonyB wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>>>

>>> Had similar once before. It is a tad un-nerving innit.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3

>> Cool thanks for sharing that. I wonder if that's why I lost some weights
>> recently? Half a mile from home after fitting, big bang. Took it in to
>> another tyre place and they said there were no weights on either of the
>> wheels. They fitted new ones and it's been fine since. ( Apart from the
>> dreaded Motor Control Failure coming on every so often and going away
>> after 24-48 hours! )
>>

> Sometimes the clearance twixt (for example) calipers and rims is too small
> to get weights in. But that doesn't show when the wheel is on the
> balancer....
>
> GT is due for an MOT end of the month. Intermittent airbag light will be a
> fail I assume. Headlights seem totally banjaxed pointing any which way,
> and at least one of the adjuster motors is buzzing like a ticked off wasp.
>
> THat's before we get to the wear items like pads, discs and rubber and the
> *nice* bits like the stereo controls that need replacing on the left.

Jeepers. I suppose I should be grateful mine has been as reliable as it has
been. It needs a glowplug and the water temp is showing very low so I'll get
that checked before winter, might be the stat, might be normal for Alfas.
Then it just needs a set of front tyres before the 'orrible weather, might
try Yokohamas rather than Pirellis.

TonyB

Old September 3rd 11, 12:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 02/09/2011 22:26, TonyB wrote:

> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> On 30/08/2011 20:54, TonyB wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Cool thanks for sharing that. I wonder if that's why I lost some weights
>>> recently? Half a mile from home after fitting, big bang. Took it in to
>>> another tyre place and they said there were no weights on either of the
>>> wheels. They fitted new ones and it's been fine since. ( Apart from the
>>> dreaded Motor Control Failure coming on every so often and going away
>>> after 24-48 hours! )
>>>

>> Sometimes the clearance twixt (for example) calipers and rims is too
>> small to get weights in. But that doesn't show when the wheel is on
>> the balancer....
>>
>> GT is due for an MOT end of the month. Intermittent airbag light will
>> be a fail I assume. Headlights seem totally banjaxed pointing any
>> which way, and at least one of the adjuster motors is buzzing like a
>> ticked off wasp.
>>
>> THat's before we get to the wear items like pads, discs and rubber and
>> the *nice* bits like the stereo controls that need replacing on the left.
>>

> Jeepers. I suppose I should be grateful mine has been as reliable as it
> has been.

Meh. The airbag is just a loose connection. The lights are a PITA though.

It needs a glowplug and the water temp is showing very low so
> I'll get that checked before winter, might be the stat, might be normal
> for Alfas.

What engine? It's almost *certainly* the stat.

Then it just needs a set of front tyres before the 'orrible
> weather, might try Yokohamas rather than Pirellis.

Running on Potenzas. Pretty good, at least the chassis tends to give up
at about the same time as the tyres

Old September 5th 11, 01:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> On 02/09/2011 22:26, TonyB wrote:
>>
>> "Catman" > wrote in message
>>> On 30/08/2011 20:54, TonyB wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Sometimes the clearance twixt (for example) calipers and rims is too
>>> small to get weights in. But that doesn't show when the wheel is on
>>> the balancer....
>>>
>>> GT is due for an MOT end of the month. Intermittent airbag light will
>>> be a fail I assume. Headlights seem totally banjaxed pointing any
>>> which way, and at least one of the adjuster motors is buzzing like a
>>> ticked off wasp.
>>>
>>> THat's before we get to the wear items like pads, discs and rubber and
>>> the *nice* bits like the stereo controls that need replacing on the
>>> left.
>>>

>> Jeepers. I suppose I should be grateful mine has been as reliable as it
>> has been.

> Meh. The airbag is just a loose connection. The lights are a PITA though.
>
> It needs a glowplug and the water temp is showing very low so
>> I'll get that checked before winter, might be the stat, might be normal
>> for Alfas.

> What engine? It's almost *certainly* the stat.

Mine was. Replaced it myself - didn't take long. Would have been even
quicker with the correct tools and warmer weather! In other words - do it
now while the air is still warm. Get the part on Ebay and schedule yourself
a couple of hours...

Old September 5th 11, 01:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage[_3_]

Who's there ?

(With apologies, I've just had a stressful morning catching up on
paperwork - very boring).

Dave S... :>)) (wot's the chances of some dry weather for Santa Pod
next weekend ??)

Old September 5th 11, 03:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 05/09/2011 13:45, Dave Savage wrote:
> Who's there ?

Me!

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 147 TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Knock, Knock, Knockin' on Heaven's Door Square Wheels[_27_] Jeep 0 May 22nd 10 09:37 AM
knock sensor tmg6464 Technology 1 November 24th 07 03:58 PM
Plug Knock Tom Rogers Chrysler 17 August 27th 05 06:15 PM
knock it off ed Technology 2 January 20th 05 06:40 PM
ping vs knock picaza Mazda 1 September 1st 04 01:04 AM