Software Diagnosis

Old July 23rd 11, 12:57 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

Default Software Diagnosis

I know you can get software and cables to connect a laptop to my 156 and
read information about faults etc. I have found plenty on eBay, but what
exactly is required and how much should I be paying?? Obviously I need the
following:

Laptop
Cable
Software

I have the laptop, but what connectors are required on each end of the
cable. Are they old fashioned serial cables, or 'trendy' USB devices? What
operating system is best etc etc???

Thanks guys
GT

Old July 23rd 11, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> GT > wrote:
>
>> I know you can get software and cables to connect a laptop to my 156 and
>> read information about faults etc. I have found plenty on eBay, but what
>> exactly is required and how much should I be paying?? Obviously I need
>> the
>> following:
>>
>> Laptop
>> Cable
>> Software
>>
>> I have the laptop, but what connectors are required on each end of the
>> cable. Are they old fashioned serial cables, or 'trendy' USB devices?
>> What
>> operating system is best etc etc???
>>
>> Thanks guys
>> GT

> Windows XP is the best OS for this kind of thing.
>
> USB is fine, as you want an OBDII to USB cable - usually sold as VAG-COM
> cables.
>
> Can't remember which pins need bridging - think it's 4 and 7 (but don't
> take my word on it) to access the airbag ECU.
>
> Cable is something like 10-20 quid, software - only one option really -
> AlfaDiag, which is about 45 euros, and worth every penny.

Excellent. My laptop is XP Pro. I have several USB slots, but no old serial
connector.

I am familiar with bridging pins and pinmods, but is this a required mod or
just to allow access to an airbag setting (that I have no problem with at
the mo).

And, hyperthetically, should some unscrupulous sole attempt to locate the
AlfaDiag CD online and illegally download it, are there any particular
pitfalls or bad/old copies to look out for? What is the latest version? I
presume it will cover the 2.0 JTS engine too, not just the older TSparks?

Cheers,
GT

Old July 23rd 11, 08:59 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> GT > wrote:
>
>> Excellent. My laptop is XP Pro. I have several USB slots, but no old
>> serial
>> connector.
>>
>> I am familiar with bridging pins and pinmods, but is this a required mod
>> or
>> just to allow access to an airbag setting (that I have no problem with at
>> the mo).

> Not required, just for the airbag ECU.
>
>> And, hyperthetically, should some unscrupulous sole attempt to locate the
>> AlfaDiag CD online and illegally download it, are there any particular
>> pitfalls or bad/old copies to look out for? What is the latest version? I
>> presume it will cover the 2.0 JTS engine too, not just the older TSparks?

> I wouldn't know.... as I paid for my copy and just use the latest
> version available.
>
> It's well worth the 46 euros as it works with just about every Alfa from
> the 156 onwards.

I presume: http://www.alfadiag.net/ ??

Are the cables car-specific? The following one mentions Audi/VW and pre 2004
(mine is a 2002 156 2.0JTS)?
eBayUK item number 300572268349 http://tinyurl.com/3lkosur

Old July 23rd 11, 10:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> GT > wrote:
>
>> > It's well worth the 46 euros as it works with just about every Alfa
>> > from
>> > the 156 onwards.

>> I presume: http://www.alfadiag.net/ ??

> Yes.
>
>> Are the cables car-specific? The following one mentions Audi/VW and pre
>> 2004
>> (mine is a 2002 156 2.0JTS)?
>> eBayUK item number 300572268349 http://tinyurl.com/3lkosur

> That's the cable - it's a generic OBDII cable, but the most common users
> are the VAG community, as their VAG-COM app. allows lots of cusomisation
> of car function.

Is VAG - Volkswagom Audi Group? So a VAG cable is OK for an Alfa?

Oh, and where would I find the plug in my 156? Fuse box perhaps, maybe under
a cover by the handbrake somewhere??

Old July 24th 11, 11:28 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Gunther Ahammer[_2_]

GT wrote:
> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> GT > wrote:

> I presume: http://www.alfadiag.net/ ??
>
> Are the cables car-specific? The following one mentions Audi/VW and
> pre 2004 (mine is a 2002 156 2.0JTS)?
> eBayUK item number 300572268349 http://tinyurl.com/3lkosur

Better software than alfadiag is FES(even in the free version) ->
http://www.fiatecuscan.net/

G.

Old July 25th 11, 10:36 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..
> GT > wrote:
>
>> > That's the cable - it's a generic OBDII cable, but the most common
>> > users
>> > are the VAG community, as their VAG-COM app. allows lots of
>> > cusomisation
>> > of car function.

>> Is VAG - Volkswagom Audi Group? So a VAG cable is OK for an Alfa?

> VAG = Volkswagen Auto Group, as I recall.
>
> Yes, it's a generic OBDII cable - but, as I said, the most common use is
> with VAG-COM, therefore a lot of eBay sellers sell it as a VAG-COM
> cable.
>
>> Oh, and where would I find the plug in my 156? Fuse box perhaps, maybe
>> under
>> a cover by the handbrake somewhere??

> There's a socket under a cover in the fusebox, up at the top.

Sorry, another question - does Can-Bus make any difference. Some of the
cheaper ones on eBay say that they don't work with a Can-Bus system. I
replaced my headlights with a xenon system last year and it had to be
can-bus compliant, so do i need an OBDII cable that is CAN-BUS compliant or
does that not matter?

Old July 25th 11, 06:23 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> GT > wrote:
>
>> > There's a socket under a cover in the fusebox, up at the top.

>> Sorry, another question - does Can-Bus make any difference. Some of the
>> cheaper ones on eBay say that they don't work with a Can-Bus system. I
>> replaced my headlights with a xenon system last year and it had to be
>> can-bus compliant, so do i need an OBDII cable that is CAN-BUS compliant
>> or
>> does that not matter?

> Pass.
>
> You appear to be confusing me with someone who owns modern cars ;-)
>
> Actually.... you have a 156, so don't have CANBUS anyway. That came with
> the 147 and GT.

Not too modern then!

Old July 25th 11, 06:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Gunther Ahammer" > wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
> GT wrote:
>> "SteveH" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> GT > wrote:

>> I presume: http://www.alfadiag.net/ ??
>>
>> Are the cables car-specific? The following one mentions Audi/VW and
>> pre 2004 (mine is a 2002 156 2.0JTS)?
>> eBayUK item number 300572268349 http://tinyurl.com/3lkosur

> Better software than alfadiag is FES(even in the free version) ->
> http://www.fiatecuscan.net/
>
> G.

Gunther, Have you got that Fiat software to work with an Alfa? (A 156 JTS
ideally).

Old July 25th 11, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"GT" > wrote in message
eb.com...
>I know you can get software and cables to connect a laptop to my 156 and
>read information about faults etc. I have found plenty on eBay, but what
>exactly is required and how much should I be paying?? Obviously I need the
>following:
>
> Laptop
> Cable
> Software
>
> I have the laptop, but what connectors are required on each end of the
> cable. Are they old fashioned serial cables, or 'trendy' USB devices? What
> operating system is best etc etc???
>
> Thanks guys
> GT

Actually, before I bother to buy one, will it actually give me more
information than just "motor control failure...", or am I wasting my money??

Old July 25th 11, 11:02 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Halmyre[_2_]

On 25/07/2011 20:49, SteveH wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> Actually, before I bother to buy one, will it actually give me more
>> information than just "motor control failure...", or am I wasting my money??

> Does it do that all the time, or just randomly?
>
> Ours does it randomly.

My 2.0 JTS did it for the first time the other day. Lasted for a few
seconds and then 'went away'.

--
Halmyre

Ceci, n'est pas un signature.

Diagnosis needed Frank Berger Mazda 9 January 14th 10 07:07 PM
NP231 Diagnosis RoyJ Jeep 3 July 11th 06 10:42 AM
Help with A/C diagnosis? Kevin Highsmith Technology 4 March 14th 06 08:23 AM
OBD / Fault Diagnosis Software for 2002 Passat Sukhi VW water cooled 2 August 17th 05 01:59 PM
diagnosis please [email protected] VW air cooled 9 May 25th 05 07:03 PM