Off Topic question

Old January 12th 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

Default Off Topic question

On 2011-01-11 21:02:28 -0500, "Chris D'Agnolo" > said:

> Well Don, it is an interesting question but I think that to be of much
> assistance you'd have to give us a ballpark value. What's your buddy
> want to spend? Also, what kind of driver is he? Is he an enthusiast or
> a get me from point A to point B, kind of guy?
>
> A couple clues on this and I think you might get even better (more
> focused) responses.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Well, it's not a giant multinational. As I understand it, they like my
bud so instead of putting him in a typical fleet purchase, they tried
to make an offer to sweeten the deal. I am not privy to all the details.

What he would like (e.g. Miata) is not necessarily the ideal vehicle
for the job. I would say in this instance comfort, economy, and
anonimity (in that order) far outweigh any enthusiast considerations.

I don't know how high the company will go. This is a low end managerial
position so my guess is below $30K, possibly a lot less.

Old January 12th 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
T.J. Higgins

In article om>, wrote:
>What he would like (e.g. Miata) is not necessarily the ideal vehicle
>for the job. I would say in this instance comfort, economy, and
>anonimity (in that order) far outweigh any enthusiast considerations.

Honda is advertising new Accords with 34 mpg highway.

--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Old January 12th 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Don Q wrote:

> On 2011-01-11 10:23:28 -0500, XS11E > said:
>> Comfortable, decent handling, pretty damn good gas consumption
>> and dead solid reliable = Lincoln Towncar, believe it or not....

> Actually my first thought was an old Lincoln LS.
> Glad to know I'm not that far off.
> Right now Mark thinks it's too big.

The LS gives up the almost unbeatable reliability of the Towncar.
As for too big, it does take getting used to but other than the futile
stomping the floorboard in a failed attempt to find the clutch pedal I
don't notice any change moving from Miata to TC, really, but of course
I'm used to it.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 13th 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Don Q" wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 2011-01-11 21:02:28 -0500, "Chris D'Agnolo" >
> said:
>
>> Well Don, it is an interesting question but I think that to be of much
>> assistance you'd have to give us a ballpark value. What's your buddy want
>> to spend? Also, what kind of driver is he? Is he an enthusiast or a get
>> me from point A to point B, kind of guy?
>>
>> A couple clues on this and I think you might get even better (more
>> focused) responses.
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

> Well, it's not a giant multinational. As I understand it, they like my bud
> so instead of putting him in a typical fleet purchase, they tried to make
> an offer to sweeten the deal. I am not privy to all the details.
>
> What he would like (e.g. Miata) is not necessarily the ideal vehicle for
> the job. I would say in this instance comfort, economy, and anonimity (in
> that order) far outweigh any enthusiast considerations.
>
> I don't know how high the company will go. This is a low end managerial
> position so my guess is below $30K, possibly a lot less.

------
So, he'd like an enthusiast vehicle! Well you previously said he doesn't
need 4 seats or huge storage space so, I think he should buy a used PRHT
Miata. I don't think Miatas are on any list of most often stolen vehicles,
the hard top makes it as secure as a coupe. He can carry a reasonable amount
of 'stuff' in reasonably good comfort and he can have a freaking blast going
from one place to another every day! I think you can get a good low mileage
PRHT for what, $25k. Even if he needs an automatic so he can juggle maps and
paperwork, the NC Miata has a great (paddle shifting when you want it)
automatic and I've even heard that it's a taller cruising gear in the auto
for gas mileage which should make it a better freeway cruiser for when it
has to serve that purpose. If driving is a big part of your job the driving
should be fun if possible!

Chris
99BBB

Old January 17th 11, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
xyzzy

On Jan 11, 8:30*am, Don Q wrote:
> Warning: Off Topic!
>
> This group has been dormant for a while. Here is a bit of an armchair
> challenge for all you car enthusiasts:
>
> A friend of mine got a new job, driving to various company facilities
> for inspection and problem solving as required. The job means a lot of
> time on the road (which he doesn't mind) and staying at motels, and no
> home cooking, but hey, it's a job. The company told him they would pay,
> subject to approval, 80% of the purchase price and 80% of fuel. (I
> think the logic here being that there is always some personal use of a
> company car.)
>
> Anyway, we'd like to pick your brains about the ideal car for this job.
> The criteria off the top of our heads:
>
> * Comfortable and quiet for hours of highway driving.
> * Reasonble gas consumption.
> * Not tempting to thieves sitting in a motel parking lot overnight.
> * Anything else?
>
> What is NOT required, obviously are 4 doors, 4 seats, lots of trunk
> space, high performance, off-road ability, most of the usual stuff that
> makes us car nuts.
>
> Love to read your thoughts.
>
> Don

Your friend needs a car that is quiet and comfortable on the many road
trips. I don't care how much of an enthusiast you are, noise and
small cabins are tiring. I have a Miata that I drive for fun but for
my 70+ miles round trip commute it's strictly LS400.

I think he should get the newest (used) Lexus LS model that the budget
will allow. Or if he's concerned about spending his employer's money
on something too flashy (even though he may be looking at a 5 year old
one), the 2007 Ford Five Hundred is a good choice as well. The Lincon
Town Car others have mentioned is also a good choice and since they
depreciate like crazy he should be able to get a reasonable lightly
used one for not too much money.

I don't care how much of an enthusiast one is or isn't, but on the
daily work grind room, comfort, and quiet will be valued.
Old January 18th 11, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2011-01-17 15:36:42 -0500, xyzzy > said:

> On Jan 11, 8:30*am, Don Q wrote:
>> Warning: Off Topic!
>>
>> This group has been dormant for a while. Here is a bit of an armchair
>> challenge for all you car enthusiasts:
>>
>> A friend of mine got a new job, driving to various company facilities
>> for inspection and problem solving as required. The job means a lot of
>> time on the road (which he doesn't mind) and staying at motels, and no
>> home cooking, but hey, it's a job. The company told him they would pay,
>> subject to approval, 80% of the purchase price and 80% of fuel. (I
>> think the logic here being that there is always some personal use of a
>> company car.)
>>
>> Anyway, we'd like to pick your brains about the ideal car for this job.
>> The criteria off the top of our heads:
>>
>> * Comfortable and quiet for hours of highway driving.
>> * Reasonble gas consumption.
>> * Not tempting to thieves sitting in a motel parking lot overnight.
>> * Anything else?
>>
>> What is NOT required, obviously are 4 doors, 4 seats, lots of trunk
>> space, high performance, off-road ability, most of the usual stuff that
>> makes us car nuts.
>>
>> Love to read your thoughts.
>>
>> Don

> Your friend needs a car that is quiet and comfortable on the many road
> trips. I don't care how much of an enthusiast you are, noise and
> small cabins are tiring. I have a Miata that I drive for fun but for
> my 70+ miles round trip commute it's strictly LS400.
>
> I think he should get the newest (used) Lexus LS model that the budget
> will allow. Or if he's concerned about spending his employer's money
> on something too flashy (even though he may be looking at a 5 year old
> one), the 2007 Ford Five Hundred is a good choice as well. The Lincon
> Town Car others have mentioned is also a good choice and since they
> depreciate like crazy he should be able to get a reasonable lightly
> used one for not too much money.
>
> I don't care how much of an enthusiast one is or isn't, but on the
> daily work grind room, comfort, and quiet will be valued.

Quiet and comfortable. I agree completely. If this had been my job, my
decision, I would have gone for a 10-year old Lincoln LS.

Though someone (sorry, I forgot whose message that was) indicated that
their reliability may be an issue.

I have not heard any news. I'll keep the group up to date just in case
anyone is curious.

Old January 18th 11, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Don Q" wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 2011-01-17 15:36:42 -0500, xyzzy > said:
>

> I have not heard any news. I'll keep the group up to date just in case
> anyone is curious.

Of course we are! It's an interesting situation.

Chris
99BBB

Old January 18th 11, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Don Q wrote:

> Quiet and comfortable. I agree completely. If this had been my
> job, my decision, I would have gone for a 10-year old Lincoln LS.
>
> Though someone (sorry, I forgot whose message that was) indicated
> that their reliability may be an issue.

Me. Compare reliability ratings with the Towncar.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 18th 11, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> Compare reliability ratings with the Towncar.

Saturday with a bunch of guys the subject of distance commuting came up...
someone mentioned being happy with his Ford Taurus, which he got on recc
from a friend who has had something like 5-6 of them... said he would put
200k on them and then get the next one. The guy telling the story was a
40k/year driver, the friend did more.

miker

Old January 18th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2011-01-17 23:08:56 -0500, XS11E > said:

> Don Q wrote:
>
>> Quiet and comfortable. I agree completely. If this had been my
>> job, my decision, I would have gone for a 10-year old Lincoln LS.
>>
>> Though someone (sorry, I forgot whose message that was) indicated
>> that their reliability may be an issue.

> Me. Compare reliability ratings with the Towncar.

Sorry for the dumb question, what is a good source for this kind of info?
The typical car magazines never met a car they didn't like...