Cars And Metric Fasteners ?

Old November 21st 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Default Cars And Metric Fasteners ?

On 11/19/2010 04:45 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 11/19/2010 12:35 PM, hls wrote:

>> Let me put it this way...nowadays my small toolbox contains metric, and
>> essentially nothing else. I keep the others in the rolling toolbox, but
>> wont
>> throw them away. I still need them from time to time, but not very often.

> Me too. I did buy a SAE socket recently. It was for a Ford axle nut and
> was something like 1.25 inches. My assumption was the the nut was metric
> but that was what was on the shelves at Checkers. They also make great
> paperweights.

Don't need paperweights as much anymore either since the invention of
air conditioning.
Old November 22nd 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:20:48 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 11/19/2010 7:44 AM, Bob wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Not a car buff, but was wondering about this:
>>
>> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?
>>
>> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> Back in the old days, it used to be that the Europeans seemed to favor the
> 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm sized nuts and the Japanese, the 10mm,12mm,14mm. The
> worst sized nut of them all is the 11mm. It's like the orphan of the
> wrench world. The 13mm is a special size because it can traverse between
> both the metric and SAE worlds. :-)

Very odd to see a 13mm on a Japanese car, because Asians are superstitious
and triskadecaphobic...

What Imperial size does 13mm translate to? It's .53", so it's a bit bigger
than 1/2.

Old November 22nd 10, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

On 11/21/2010 11:32 PM, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:20:48 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On 11/19/2010 7:44 AM, Bob wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Not a car buff, but was wondering about this:
>>>
>>> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?
>>>
>>> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>> Back in the old days, it used to be that the Europeans seemed to favor the
>> 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm sized nuts and the Japanese, the 10mm,12mm,14mm. The
>> worst sized nut of them all is the 11mm. It's like the orphan of the
>> wrench world. The 13mm is a special size because it can traverse between
>> both the metric and SAE worlds. :-)

> Very odd to see a 13mm on a Japanese car, because Asians are superstitious
> and triskadecaphobic...
>
> What Imperial size does 13mm translate to? It's .53", so it's a bit bigger
> than 1/2.

..513

And 11mm is almost exac
Old November 22nd 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 07:21:57 -0500, Steve Austin wrote:

> On 11/21/2010 11:32 PM, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>> Back in the old days, it used to be that the Europeans seemed to favor
>>> the 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm sized nuts and the Japanese, the
>>> 10mm,12mm,14mm. The worst sized nut of them all is the 11mm. It's like
>>> the orphan of the wrench world. The 13mm is a special size because it
>>> can traverse between both the metric and SAE worlds. :-)

>> Very odd to see a 13mm on a Japanese car, because Asians are
>> superstitious and triskadecaphobic...
>>
>> What Imperial size does 13mm translate to? It's .53", so it's a bit
>> bigger than 1/2.
>>

> .513
>
> And 11mm is almost exac

almost exac....what?

Old November 22nd 10, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:14:37 -0500, Hachiroku gYǧG wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 07:21:57 -0500, Steve Austin wrote:

>>> Very odd to see a 13mm on a Japanese car, because Asians are
>>> superstitious and triskadecaphobic...
>>>
>>> What Imperial size does 13mm translate to? It's .53", so it's a bit
>>> bigger than 1/2.
>>>

>> .513
>>
>> And 11mm is almost exac

> almost exac....what?

0.43307086614
Old November 22nd 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_8_]

On 11/21/2010 6:32 PM, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:20:48 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On 11/19/2010 7:44 AM, Bob wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Not a car buff, but was wondering about this:
>>>
>>> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?
>>>
>>> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>> Back in the old days, it used to be that the Europeans seemed to favor the
>> 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm sized nuts and the Japanese, the 10mm,12mm,14mm. The
>> worst sized nut of them all is the 11mm. It's like the orphan of the
>> wrench world. The 13mm is a special size because it can traverse between
>> both the metric and SAE worlds. :-)

> Very odd to see a 13mm on a Japanese car, because Asians are superstitious
> and triskadecaphobic...

I have not heard that the Japanese had anything against 13, my guess is
that they just like 12 and 14. I know that the number 4 is not a good
number because it sounds like their word for "death."

The Chinese like the number 8. Somehow they were able to hold the
Beijing Olympics on 8-8-08 starting at 8:08. Quite remarkable!

I used to have a wrench that came in a toolkit in a Fiat. That one had a
13mm and 15mm wrench in it. That was an odd wrench...

> What Imperial size does 13mm translate to? It's .53", so it's a bit bigger
> than 1/2.

I pretty much consider them to be interchangeable.

Nylon Fasteners - 08 Wrangler Jim[_46_] Jeep 1 February 15th 10 02:20 AM
Where to buy panel fasteners? DemoDisk Technology 10 August 8th 09 01:16 AM
Metric fasteners Bob[_2_] Ford Explorer 1 August 24th 06 03:58 PM
fasteners for M1 boot pws Mazda 3 June 3rd 06 09:14 PM
HELP w/ placement of headliner fasteners Scot Ford Explorer 0 November 4th 04 03:55 AM