Cars And Metric Fasteners ?

Old November 20th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

Default Cars And Metric Fasteners ?

On 2010-11-20, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 11/19/2010 3:49 PM, Brent wrote:
>> On 2010-11-19, > wrote:
>>
>>> Me too. I did buy a SAE socket recently. It was for a Ford axle nut and
>>> was something like 1.25 inches. My assumption was the the nut was metric
>>> but that was what was on the shelves at Checkers. They also make great
>>> paperweights.

>> Large sizes cross over well. I've been using 1in and larger sockets that
>> are older than I am. I'll still probably buy a set of larger metric
>> sockets anyway as one of these days my luck will probably run out.
>>

> I'm hoping that in the age of electric cars with no engine, no cooling
> system, no fuel injection, no ignition system, no lubrication system
> etc, etc, etc, will greatly simplify our tool boxes.
>
> In the future they'll be reduced to the size of a tackle box and contain
> a can of WD-40, a Swiss Army knife, a voltmeter, a Slim-Jim (teriyaki
> flavor) a church key and some pocket change. :-)

I don't thing suspensions and drive lines are going to go away... so
there will still be axle nuts, etc and so on.

Old November 20th 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff

Bret > wrote in news:kgcvxjnqosye$.10mxi97r0go72$.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:20:48 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On 11/19/2010 7:44 AM, Bob wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Not a car buff, but was wondering about this:
>>>
>>> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?
>>>
>>> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>> Back in the old days, it used to be that the Europeans seemed to favor
>> the 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm sized nuts and the Japanese, the
>> 10mm,12mm,14mm. The worst sized nut of them all is the 11mm. It's like
>> the orphan of the wrench world. The 13mm is a special size because it
>> can traverse between both the metric and SAE worlds. :-)

> Also 19mm is 3/4 inch

that is the 18mm and it isn`t close enough most of the time to work well.
KB
Old November 20th 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff

dsi1 > wrote in news:UKCFo.45947$Mk2.4463
@newsfe13.iad:

> On 11/19/2010 7:44 AM, Bob wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Not a car buff, but was wondering about this:
>>
>> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?
>>
>> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> Back in the old days, it used to be that the Europeans seemed to favor
> the 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm sized nuts and the Japanese, the
> 10mm,12mm,14mm. The worst sized nut of them all is the 11mm. It's like
> the orphan of the wrench world. The 13mm is a special size because it
> can traverse between both the metric and SAE worlds. :-)

the 11mm is very close to 7/16. have used them interchangeably when 2
wrenches are needed. KB
Old November 20th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Kevin Bottorff > wrote in
:

> Bret > wrote in news:kgcvxjnqosye$.10mxi97r0go72$.dlg@
> 40tude.net:

>> Also 19mm is 3/4 inch

> that is the 18mm and it isn`t close enough most of the time to work
> well.

Bottorff's comment is stunningly stupid. He's either a troll or has no clue
how to use Google or a $5 metric-conversion calculator.

19mm = 0.748"
3/4" = 0.75"

18mm = 0.709"

I think you'd need a very large hammer to pound that 18mm socket onto a
3/4" fastener.

--
Tegger
Old November 20th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/19/2010 11:43 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>>
>> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?

> Sometimes, but not always.
>
>> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?

> It's hard these days to tell what is made in the US and what is imported.
>
> The absolute worst was a Ford Escort my girlfriend had. The water pump
> was held on with three bolts, one metric and two SAE.
> --scott

the escort is an all-euro design. i find it hard to believe that any
sae fasteners could have been original and not "retrofit".

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 20th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/19/2010 10:04 AM, hls wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Not a car buff, but was wondering about this:
>>
>> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?
>>
>> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> Most are metric nowadays, no matter where they are made.

smaller stuff, yes, but a lot of larger equipment/vehicles are still
fractional.

i think we need to change that. we've had decimal money since the
coinage act of 1792 - there's no logical reason not to use a decimal
system for everything else as well.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 20th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
jim beam > wrote:

> On 11/19/2010 11:43 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > > wrote:
> >>
> >> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?

> > Sometimes, but not always.
> >
> >> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?

> > It's hard these days to tell what is made in the US and what is imported.
> >
> > The absolute worst was a Ford Escort my girlfriend had. The water pump
> > was held on with three bolts, one metric and two SAE.
> > --scott
> >

> the escort is an all-euro design. i find it hard to believe that any
> sae fasteners could have been original and not "retrofit".

I'm wondering what happened to the other three fasteners...
Old November 20th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_8_]

On 11/19/2010 4:27 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2010-11-20, > wrote:

>>> Large sizes cross over well. I've been using 1in and larger sockets that
>>> are older than I am. I'll still probably buy a set of larger metric
>>> sockets anyway as one of these days my luck will probably run out.
>>>

>> I'm hoping that in the age of electric cars with no engine, no cooling
>> system, no fuel injection, no ignition system, no lubrication system
>> etc, etc, etc, will greatly simplify our tool boxes.
>>
>> In the future they'll be reduced to the size of a tackle box and contain
>> a can of WD-40, a Swiss Army knife, a voltmeter, a Slim-Jim (teriyaki
>> flavor) a church key and some pocket change. :-)

> I don't thing suspensions and drive lines are going to go away... so
> there will still be axle nuts, etc and so on.

My guess is that some cars will have transmissions with driveshafts and
half-shafts. The cheaper cars might not have any of those. The
suspension could be something new or pretty conventional. I'm just guess
here though...
Old November 20th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 02:39:47 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

> Kevin Bottorff > wrote in
> :
>
>> Bret > wrote in news:kgcvxjnqosye$.10mxi97r0go72$.dlg@
>> 40tude.net:

>>> Also 19mm is 3/4 inch

>> that is the 18mm and it isn`t close enough most of the time to work
>> well.

> Bottorff's comment is stunningly stupid. He's either a troll or has no clue
> how to use Google or a $5 metric-conversion calculator.
>
> 19mm = 0.748"
> 3/4" = 0.75"
>
> 18mm = 0.709"
>
> I think you'd need a very large hammer to pound that 18mm socket onto a
> 3/4" fastener.

I have the advantage of a socket set with no 19mm and a 3/4 -19mm marked on
the case.
Old November 20th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 02:32:29 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff wrote:

> dsi1 > wrote in news:UKCFo.45947$Mk2.4463
> @newsfe13.iad:
>
>> On 11/19/2010 7:44 AM, Bob wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Not a car buff, but was wondering about this:
>>>
>>> Are the screws and nuts fasteners on most cars these days metric ?
>>>
>>> Does it depend upon if they are made in U.S., or imported ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>> Back in the old days, it used to be that the Europeans seemed to favor
>> the 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm sized nuts and the Japanese, the
>> 10mm,12mm,14mm. The worst sized nut of them all is the 11mm. It's like
>> the orphan of the wrench world. The 13mm is a special size because it
>> can traverse between both the metric and SAE worlds. :-)

> the 11mm is very close to 7/16. have used them interchangeably when 2
> wrenches are needed. KB

I wouldn't if I was you.

Nylon Fasteners - 08 Wrangler Jim[_46_] Jeep 1 February 15th 10 02:20 AM
Where to buy panel fasteners? DemoDisk Technology 10 August 8th 09 01:16 AM
Metric fasteners Bob[_2_] Ford Explorer 1 August 24th 06 03:58 PM
fasteners for M1 boot pws Mazda 3 June 3rd 06 09:14 PM
HELP w/ placement of headliner fasteners Scot Ford Explorer 0 November 4th 04 03:55 AM