parts for 2001 f-150

Old November 18th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default parts for 2001 f-150

I hit passenger mirror backing out of garage, the mirror popped out of
assembly. this is power mirror by the way...so anyway took it to ford dealer
today....225.00 for new mirror and nearly 100.00 to install. I just know
there has to be a cheaper way of fixing this dam thing. Can some one tell
me where to buy online? I know the inside door panel has to come off to
remove bolts, how dificult is this to do? any special tools required? TOA
Old November 18th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
>I hit passenger mirror backing out of garage, the mirror popped out of
> assembly. this is power mirror by the way...so anyway took it to ford
> dealer
> today....225.00 for new mirror and nearly 100.00 to install. I just know
> there has to be a cheaper way of fixing this dam thing. Can some one tell
> me where to buy online? I know the inside door panel has to come off to
> remove bolts, how dificult is this to do? any special tools required? TOA

I've seen this happen before, but I never saw anyone find a cheap source
of these OEM parts. If you have a friend in a dealership, cry on him.

You COULD be lucky enough to find one at a junkyard. Online sites
like www.auto-part.com could be a place to start.

If it were mine, I might try to mount a universal mirror from a FLAPS or
suchlike, and dump the adjustable feature. If I were really proud of the
truck, I would take it in and let a qualified mechanic mount the Ford part.

Taking the door panel off is no big deal. On most of them you remove
some bolts around the armrest, remove handles if any, and pry the panel
out of the door (gently) On some cars there are tools that can help you get
the handles off. GM is what I have used them on. My Dodge didnt need
them. Dont know about Ford

Go gently and dont break anything anymore than you have to.

$0.02

Old November 18th 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:09:48 -0600, hls wrote:

> > wrote in message
>>I hit passenger mirror backing out of garage, the mirror popped out of
>> assembly. this is power mirror by the way...so anyway took it to ford
>> dealer
>> today....225.00 for new mirror and nearly 100.00 to install. I just know
>> there has to be a cheaper way of fixing this dam thing. Can some one tell
>> me where to buy online? I know the inside door panel has to come off to
>> remove bolts, how dificult is this to do? any special tools required? TOA

> I've seen this happen before, but I never saw anyone find a cheap source
> of these OEM parts. If you have a friend in a dealership, cry on him.
>
> You COULD be lucky enough to find one at a junkyard. Online sites
> like www.auto-part.com could be a place to start.
>
> If it were mine, I might try to mount a universal mirror from a FLAPS or
> suchlike, and dump the adjustable feature. If I were really proud of the
> truck, I would take it in and let a qualified mechanic mount the Ford part.
>
> Taking the door panel off is no big deal. On most of them you remove
> some bolts around the armrest, remove handles if any, and pry the panel
> out of the door (gently) On some cars there are tools that can help you get
> the handles off. GM is what I have used them on. My Dodge didnt need
> them. Dont know about Ford
>
> Go gently and dont break anything anymore than you have to.
>
> $0.02

I filled one with windscreen urethane.
I thought the mirror wouldn't swivel anymore but surprisingly, it did.
Old November 18th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

is this a waste of money http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
rockauto dorman power mirror for 50.79
Old November 19th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

wrote in
:

> is this a waste of money

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
> rockauto dorman power mirror for 50.79

You want a lousy-quality Chinese ripoff, or you want to phone around to
wrecking yards (sorry, "auto recyclers") in your area in the hopes of
finding a genuine OEM replacement?

The wrecker's price is likely to be very similar to the Chinese ripoff.

--
Tegger
Old November 19th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
WW[_2_]

> wrote in message
>I hit passenger mirror backing out of garage, the mirror popped out of
> assembly. this is power mirror by the way...so anyway took it to ford
> dealer
> today....225.00 for new mirror and nearly 100.00 to install. I just know
> there has to be a cheaper way of fixing this dam thing. Can some one tell
> me where to buy online? I know the inside door panel has to come off to
> remove bolts, how dificult is this to do? any special tools required? TOA

If you only need the glass and did not damage the rest, the auto glass
companies here replace just the glass very reasonable. Check with those
companies in your town. ww

Old November 19th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Nov 18, 6:50*pm, wrote:
> is this a waste of money *http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
> * * rockauto * dorman power mirror for 50.79

Hmmm that's below my store's cost.. How the hell can they sell it for
so low?? Must not be a true dorman part.

Best price I can sell it is for $105 dorman part # 955-280

Old November 19th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

m6onz5a > wrote in news:09e87b7b-2a4d-4b9d-92e8-
:

> On Nov 18, 6:50*pm, wrote:
>> is this a waste of money *
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalo
> g.php
>> * * rockauto * dorman power mirror for 50.79

> Hmmm that's below my store's cost.. How the hell can they sell it for
> so low?? Must not be a true dorman part.

Imagine that. A knockoff of a Chinese knockoff. Must be abysmal quality.