Ford Cuts Mazda Stake from 11% to 3.5%

Old November 18th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default Ford Cuts Mazda Stake from 11% to 3.5%

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-C....html?x=0&.v=1
Old November 19th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Christopher Muto" > wrote in message
> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-C....html?x=0&.v=1

Thanks Chris, interesting. I think Ford seems to have done a reasonable job
of turning itself around w/o totally depending on the American govt. I hope
they find their way back to true health and such.

Chris
99BBB

Old November 20th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

On Nov 18, 8:42*am, Christopher Muto > wrote:
> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-C...zacks-20595483...

Thank God. The less blue oval I see under the hood of a Mazda, the
better. Those idiots couldn't engineer their way out of a wet paper
bag.

Chris
Old November 20th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Hal" > wrote in message
On Nov 18, 8:42 am, Christopher Muto > wrote:
> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-C...zacks-20595483...

Thank God. The less blue oval I see under the hood of a Mazda, the
better. Those idiots couldn't engineer their way out of a wet paper
bag.

Chris

Maybe we should call this 'Chris's Miata Newsgroup' lol!

Chris
99BBB

Old November 24th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.

On Nov 19, 7:57*pm, Hal > wrote:
> On Nov 18, 8:42*am, Christopher Muto > wrote:
>
> >http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-C...zacks-20595483...

> Thank God. The less blue oval I see under the hood of a Mazda, the
> better. Those idiots couldn't engineer their way out of a wet paper
> bag.

I don't know about that. Ford engineering seems to be pretty damn
good these days.
Old November 24th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 11/24/2010 1:02 PM, Tim M. wrote:
> On Nov 19, 7:57 pm, > wrote:
>> On Nov 18, 8:42 am, Christopher > wrote:
>>
>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-C...zacks-20595483...

>> Thank God. The less blue oval I see under the hood of a Mazda, the
>> better. Those idiots couldn't engineer their way out of a wet paper
>> bag.

> I don't know about that. Ford engineering seems to be pretty damn
> good these days.

plus the fact that ford is reducing its share of ownership in mazda
apparently has not had an impact of the business relationship between
the two companies per the last paragraph in the article.
Old November 24th 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

On 11/24/2010 1:53 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 1:02 PM, Tim M. wrote:

>>> Thank God. The less blue oval I see under the hood of a Mazda, the
>>> better. Those idiots couldn't engineer their way out of a wet paper
>>> bag.

>> I don't know about that. Ford engineering seems to be pretty damn
>> good these days.

> plus the fact that ford is reducing its share of ownership in mazda
> apparently has not had an impact of the business relationship between
> the two companies per the last paragraph in the article.

Fords discount program also applied to Mazdas in the past. Don't know
about the future.
Old November 25th 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
SilverB

I'm with you Chris. After being burned by "Ford Quality" twice (shame on
me) in the 80s, I'll never buy another one. They may indeed be better now,
probably are, but twice burnt is enough for me. 0% stake would be a
better level.

Rod

Old November 26th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2010-11-25 10:02:18 -0500, "SilverB" > said:

> I'm with you Chris. After being burned by "Ford Quality" twice (shame
> on me) in the 80s, I'll never buy another one. They may indeed be
> better now, probably are, but twice burnt is enough for me. 0% stake
> would be a better level.
>
> Rod
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
>> "Hal" > wrote in message

On

>> Nov 18, 8:42 am, Christopher Muto > wrote:
>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-C...zacks-20595483...

>> Thank God. The less blue oval I see under the hood of a Mazda, the
>> better. Those idiots couldn't engineer their way out of a wet paper
>> bag.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> Maybe we should call this 'Chris's Miata Newsgroup' lol!
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

Umm, everyone here realize that (part) ownership does not have to have
a one-to-one correlation to sharing technologies or sharing facilites
or sharing parts bins?

In other words, Ford owning 3.5% of Mazda does not mean 3.5% of your
MX-5 is made by Ford. This is something for the accountants and
investors to worry about, more than the car buyer.

cheers

Don

Old November 26th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article om>, Don Q
wrote:

> In other words, Ford owning 3.5% of Mazda does not mean 3.5% of your
> MX-5 is made by Ford.

Right. The Ford content of Mazdas (and the Mazda content of Fords) won't
be altered by this change in stock position. Both companies still
benefit from shared technology and economies of scale. Ford simply needs
the cash right now--it avoided bail-out, but at the cost of a huge debt
load.

From what I can see, Ford's investment saved Mazda from collapse after
its significant blunders (RX-7, Millenia, etc.). Mazda's engineering
turned around Ford's death spiral of quality and imagination. The Fusion
hybrid is a very impressive vehicle, if you like that sort of thing. So
is the new Mustang.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO