Audi Reliability Unacceptable by US Standards

Old November 3rd 10, 11:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Clive[_2_]

Default Audi Reliability Unacceptable by US Standards

In message <2010110315522443658-davplac@aolcom>, D. LaCourse
> writes
>Well, it is not exacty the same as heating oil, but it does require a
>helluva lot less refining than gasoline. And, yes, I am aware of its
>many uses - trains, boats, trucks, cars, etc. It still does not
>explain why it is more expensive. However a quick google reveals this:
>http://www.wisegeek.com/why-is-diese...-than-gasoline.
>htm
>Ta da! Question answered and it is as I thought it might be: supply
>and demand.

Only applies in America most of the rest of the world taxes diesel fuel
lighter than petrol but in the UK the taxes are the same.
--
Clive

Old November 3rd 10, 11:55 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-03 18:24:55 -0400, Clive > said:

> In message <2010110315522443658-davplac@aolcom>, D. LaCourse
> > writes
>> Well, it is not exacty the same as heating oil, but it does require a
>> helluva lot less refining than gasoline. And, yes, I am aware of its
>> many uses - trains, boats, trucks, cars, etc. It still does not
>> explain why it is more expensive. However a quick google reveals this:
>> http://www.wisegeek.com/why-is-diese...-than-gasoline.
>> htm
>> Ta da! Question answered and it is as I thought it might be: supply
>> and demand.

> Only applies in America most of the rest of the world taxes diesel fuel
> lighter than petrol but in the UK the taxes are the same.

You saw, by the article, Clive, that the taxes on diesel if far greater
than gasoline. The government logic is that diesel is used by
companies (RR, trucks, busses, etc), while gasoline is used by Joe
Citizen. Don't want to tax him, now, do we? d;o)

The U.S. is in one helluva mess right now. News today is that the Fed
is monitizing another $600 billion of our debt. That's in addition to
the over $1 TRILLION we have already monitized. We are in deep doodoo.
This tax and spend way of thinking has got to come to a screaching
halt. Soon!

Have a good one, Clive. I have visited your country several times and
it is very lovely. My wife and I have friends that just retired and
have moved to England. Perhaps they know something we don't know. d;o(

Dave

Old November 4th 10, 11:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
David

>> I do not think it would be as reliable as Audis were in the past.

> I don't see why I wouldn't. I trust Audi. Over the years I have had very
> little trouble with any of their products, and I don't see why it should
> change.

Manufacturing methods have changed a lot at VAG since 2003. Cutting costs to
make more profit, and trying to out do the competition, making them too
complex.
After all, they are only to get you (and yours) from A to B.
The last time I looked at the dash of an A4, it seemed that it had more
buttons than my keyboard. As you are such an expert driver, would you not
agree that distractions should be kept to a minimum as the volume of traffic
increases ? More buttons, more adjustments on the fly, less concentration on
the task in hand ?

Anyway, good luck.

>> If a vehicle has four wheels, and they are all driven at the same time,
>> what
>> is the difference between 4 wheel drive, and all wheel drive ?

> Google it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> David

> Dave (the other David)
>
> d;o)

Yes I am in Euroland, and we call all cars that drive all four wheels '4
wheel drive', from a Fiat Panda Sisley, to Subarus and Lamborghinis. That is
how they are known over here, regardless of technicalities.

But then we call this time of year 'Autumn' whereas you call it 'Fall'. I
think the list would be too long to continue...

best wishes

David (yet another one)

Old November 4th 10, 12:40 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-04 06:40:55 -0400, "David" > said:

"would you not
agree that distractions should be kept to a minimum as the volume of traffic
increases ? More buttons, more adjustments on the fly, less concentration on
the task in hand ?"

Most definately. One of the prime suspects of such distractions is gps
systems, either built-in or added. I was riding with my wife a couple
of days ago when she decided to program something on the gps. Bad
practice.

Be well.

Dave

Old November 4th 10, 09:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

On Nov 3, 12:52*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2010-11-03 06:00:47 -0400, laurentien > said:
>

> > On Nov 2, 6:14*am, Mike G Cornell > wrote:

> >> So you'd like us to believe your wife put enough miles on her Lexus in
> >> less than 12 months to exceed warranty? *Credibility denied.

> > It seems that you have never owned a Japanese car.
> > The warranty does not include such items.

> > Luc

> I'm sorry, Luc, but you are wrong. *The Lexus HI lights would have been
> covered under the warranty, but the car was out of warranty time. *My
> point of mentioning the HI lights was that the Lexus was only 5 years
> old, barely out of warranty and the headlights go bad, while my Audi
> with 8 years of service still has its HI lights. *I've had few problems
> with my Audi - normal wear and tear stuff - while the Lexus has been in
> the shop often. *Cornell's premice was that Japanese cars are better
> than German. *Yeah, maybe, but that is not what I have experienced. *
> Besides, most Japanese cars are dull and boring front drivers. *The
> Germans know how to build are car. *Period.
>
> Dave

Well, granted for Toyota. In your case Toyota was more honest than
Mazda.

My experience with the 7 year fantastic warranties provided by Mazda
in Canada was that they did not cover such items. Mazda did cost me a
lot of money with very expensive service fees in order to keep the
warranty. But, it was not really covering everything. For example, I
had to change the cylinder on my hatchback and it was not under
warranty.

The only Japanese car which would be good enough to match the top
German cars is the Nissan Skyline which also comes into sedan versions
and also the Infinity Q45. But this car was never sold in America.

But can any Japanese sedan come even close to an A6 or M5 ?

Luc Rolland
Old November 5th 10, 09:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

On Nov 3, 8:09*pm, Clive > wrote:
> In message <2010110313554150073-davplac@aolcom>, D. LaCourse
> > writes>One thing I can not understand is that diesel fuel, requiring less
> >refining than gasoline, costs a lot more than gas, at least here in the
> >States.

> Didn't you know that diesel was the same as heating oil, making it a
> much more sought after product than petrol which is only used in cars.
> Diesel is not only used in a lot of cars but most other types of
> transportation as well.
> --
> Clive

True Clive, in the UK, when Christmas times arrive, the
transportation business grows a lot for supplying all th shops with
gifts and sending all those greeting cards, thereby the diesel price
increase. Simple supply and demand rule. And UK is renowned to have
only limited capacity for refining diesel.

In other countries, the governments tax diesel much more to the pump
so.
And the lorries or truck companies get a refund afterwards.
Leading to the fact that some governments are favoring the companies
for diesel usage.

But, countries like France wishing to depend less on petrol have
favored diesel all along and its price is much cheaper. Their
factories do have the capacity to refine diesel to the point that they
supply the UK peaks around Christmas. They also know that the diesel
engines do last a lot longer and consume much less, explaining the
higher price tag for a diesel engine.

VAG (VW group) is still nose to nose with PSA (Peugeot) on the most
efficient and performant diesel engines in Europe and Ford or Toyota
are far behind. I even heard that BMW diesel engines were made by PSA
(which used to supply them to Rover and Honda).

I hope that VAG produces a hybrid TDi around its 1.6 L engine and put
that into the A5 sedan which I really like and has good reviews.

My experience with TDi is that they are so good, quite torquy,
reliable and so green.

LHR
Old November 5th 10, 01:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
David

"laurentien" > wrote in message
On Nov 3, 8:09 pm, Clive > wrote:
> In message <2010110313554150073-davplac@aolcom>, D. LaCourse
> > writes>One thing I can not understand is that diesel
> fuel, requiring less
> >refining than gasoline, costs a lot more than gas, at least here in the
> >States.

> Didn't you know that diesel was the same as heating oil, making it a
> much more sought after product than petrol which is only used in cars.
> Diesel is not only used in a lot of cars but most other types of
> transportation as well.
> --
> Clive

True Clive, in the UK, when Christmas times arrive, the
transportation business grows a lot for supplying all th shops with
gifts and sending all those greeting cards, thereby the diesel price
increase. Simple supply and demand rule. And UK is renowned to have
only limited capacity for refining diesel.

In other countries, the governments tax diesel much more to the pump
so.
And the lorries or truck companies get a refund afterwards.
Leading to the fact that some governments are favoring the companies
for diesel usage.

But, countries like France wishing to depend less on petrol have
favored diesel all along and its price is much cheaper. Their
factories do have the capacity to refine diesel to the point that they
supply the UK peaks around Christmas. They also know that the diesel
engines do last a lot longer and consume much less, explaining the
higher price tag for a diesel engine.

VAG (VW group) is still nose to nose with PSA (Peugeot) on the most
efficient and performant diesel engines in Europe and Ford or Toyota
are far behind. I even heard that BMW diesel engines were made by PSA
(which used to supply them to Rover and Honda).

I hope that VAG produces a hybrid TDi around its 1.6 L engine and put
that into the A5 sedan which I really like and has good reviews.

My experience with TDi is that they are so good, quite torquy,
reliable and so green.

LHR

What utter, utter garbage.

Yuou must come from another planet, get back to your fuel line magnets.

Old November 6th 10, 12:05 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kyle Dresden

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 10:27:05 -0400, D. LaCourse >
wrote:

>So, Mike and Anonymouse "David", what kind of cars do you drive? Front
>wheel drive rice burners? You would **** your pants if you drove a
>real car like my RS6 or any of the M machines BMW offers, or any of the
>AMGs MB offers.

BMW sucks horse cock.

I had a 2007 BMW 335i (6spd, twin turbo, 2dr coupe). When I bought the
car it had 40,000 miles and a transferable maintenance
package/warranty (wipers, brakes, oil/other engine fluids). When the
wiper blades are not up to standard BMW has to deem them that way (not
the daily driver) and will not replace them. I didn't own the car long
enough to even replace the brakes on the damn thing. When the service
engine light came on I took it in for the scheduled oil change that is
part of the maintenace package and they changed the oil for free (then
charged me $20 to "dispose" of the used oil). I told the dealer that
the dump in my town would dispose of the oil for free and to put the
used oil in the used containers and I would dispose of it
myself(obviously they had an excuse why they couldn't do that). One of
the halo lights on the car burnt out, that was $200 for the part and
labor for one headlight (ridiculous). My steering wheel lock sensor
malfunctioned (didn't affect the performance of the car just displayed
an annoying red light on the dash display that could not be
overriden). That was not covered by the warranty and set me back a
cool $1200. Then the fuel pump went on a car with 49,000 miles. Since
this was a factory defect (still ongoing for the last 4 years with all
3.5 liter twin turbo BMW engines) they replaced it for free. This
would've cost me $2500. Long story short I sold the Bmer and bought a
2008 IS 350 (had more options than the BMW...navigation, backup
camera, covered under warranty for everything including the tire/wheel
warranty (best thing ever any tire or wheel problems bring it back and
it will be fixed free of charge), and the invisible shiled in the
front and other areas to avoid rock chips. 32,000 miles of smooth
sailing would never buy anything besides a Lexus again. I still have
my 1999 GS400 (225,000 miles), 2008 IS 350 (32,000 miles) and saving
for my next Lexus
Old November 6th 10, 01:58 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-05 19:05:36 -0400, Kyle Dresden > said:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 10:27:05 -0400, D. LaCourse >
> wrote:
>
>> So, Mike and Anonymouse "David", what kind of cars do you drive? Front
>> wheel drive rice burners? You would **** your pants if you drove a
>> real car like my RS6 or any of the M machines BMW offers, or any of the
>> AMGs MB offers.

> BMW sucks horse cock.

<Whining snipped>

I could show you review after review after review that has nothing but
praise for the BMW 335I, but I won't because you have your mind made
up. There was another guy around these parts that complained about
BMWs and also praised the Lexus products. Coincidence, huh?

BMW, MB, Audi, as well as other Euro cars have made their reputation by
turning out good products. They have also enhanced that reputation by
racing. I have *never* heard of Lexus racing.

Let's toss some numbers out ....... lesseeee......
Aha!
price of BMW 335I US$47,625 well equipped.
price of IS350 US$49,415 well equipped.
Advantage: BMW

BHP BMW = 300 with 300 lb.-ft of torque
BHP IS35 = 306 with 277 lb.-ft of torque
Advantage: Toss up. I'd take the addition 23 lb.ft of torque over the 6 bhp

0-60 BMW = 4.7 sec. with 100 at 11.7.
0-60 IS350 = 5.5 sec. with 100 at 13.9
Advantage: Clearly BMW, making the Lexus nothing more than a back marker.

Handling skidpad BMW = 0.91g
Handling skidpad IS-350 = 0.81g
Advantage: Again, very clearly the BMW. 0.10gs may not sound like
much, but it really can matter a whole lot when you need that extra
grip.

Braking 60-0 BMW = 117 ft. (pretty good)
Braking 60-0 IS350 = 133 ft (YIKES!)
Advantage BMW, by a life saving distance of 16 feet, or the length of
one car. The stopping distance of 133 ft is dismal. So, you BMW 335
drivers out there, if you are being followed by an IS350, know that
when you make an emergency stop, the Lexus will stop in front of you
after going through or over you. <groan>

Mileage BMW = 18.4 mpg observed during testing period.
Mileage IS350 = 19.0 mpg observed during testing period.
Advantage: Lexus. Hey, ya got one, by .6 mpg. Strike up the band,
fanfare, hip/hip hooooray!

The above testing was done by a auto enthusiast's magazine. The BMW
335I is remarkably more agile, faster, and track proven than the Lexus.

But, of course if you are a little old man who is not looking for
performance, knows very little about automobiles, the Lexus should fit
you very well.

I will chuckle, chortle, and snort every time I pass a Lexus (or one
passes me). Good cars, but not great cars, not a driver's car.

Good luck. Remember, we have an RX-330 (basically the same engine and
brakes) and have had more than our fair share of troubles.

YMMV

Dave

Old November 6th 10, 08:49 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kyle Dresden

Keep on wanking your little pud.

There is a reason that the hot 20-30 year olds laugh at old men like
you driving german cars... because you've got a case of arrested
development, living in the 80's thinking they're better. Keep banging
that old nasty **** while your daughter ****s a Lexus owner.

RSC behavior UNACCEPTABLE reggie white Simulators 9 August 30th 05 08:38 PM
2004 Audi A8 Reliability Problems Streetrunner Audi 5 January 4th 05 03:42 AM
Very medicore mech reliability JD Power scores for 2001 Audi A6? [email protected] Technology 4 December 22nd 04 01:34 PM
Audi All Road reliability LIW Audi 2 November 3rd 04 09:39 PM
95 audi 90 reliability? andy Audi 2 November 3rd 04 02:21 AM