2000 Ford Taurus in tank fuel pump, make access hole in floor?

Old October 22nd 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mark[_1_]

Default 2000 Ford Taurus in tank fuel pump, make access hole in floor?

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, the in tank fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Instead of dropping the tank, I am considering cutting an access hole
in the floor as is commonly provided on many cars.

Questions..

Anybody try this on this car?

Can anyone provide information about the correct location to make the
access hole?

Will I be able to reach the electrical connectors from above or will I
have to go under the car to reach those?

thanks
Mark

Old October 22nd 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Newman

"Mark" > wrote in message
>I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, the in tank fuel pump needs to be replaced.
>
> Instead of dropping the tank, I am considering cutting an access hole
> in the floor as is commonly provided on many cars.
>
> Questions..
>
> Anybody try this on this car?
>
> Can anyone provide information about the correct location to make the
> access hole?
>
> Will I be able to reach the electrical connectors from above or will I
> have to go under the car to reach those?

Mark,
I did this on my daughter's '99 Taurus about a year ago. There are several
places on the Web that show pictures on where to cut. BUT, after all was
said and done, I think its harder than just dropping the tank and doing it
the right way.There's almost no clearance between the floor and the tank and
hoses, so you have to be extremely careful when cutting the floor. And it's
harder to get the pump out because you can't reach and remove the wires and
hoses from the top of the tank. When covering the hole back up,you have to
make sure that the patch is flame-resistant, and getting the sheet metal
patch to fit the contours of the floor isn't easy. I ended up using
fire-proofing caulk to seal up the gaps.

Which ever method you decide on, here are some helpful links. I also have
lots of pics I took when I did it if you want them.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-s...-pump-r-r.html
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=59135
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=86180

Old October 23rd 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mark[_1_]

On Oct 21, 11:21*pm, "Steve Newman" > wrote:
> "Mark" > wrote in message

> >I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, the in tank fuel pump needs to be replaced.

> > Instead of dropping the tank, I am considering cutting an access hole
> > in the floor as is commonly provided *on many cars.

> > Questions..

> > Anybody try this on this car?

> > Can anyone provide information about the correct location to make the
> > access hole?

> > Will I be able to reach the electrical connectors from above or will I
> > have to go under the car to reach those?

> Mark,
> I did this on my daughter's '99 Taurus about a year ago. There are several
> places on the Web that show pictures on where to cut. BUT, after all was
> said and done, I think its harder than just dropping the tank and doing it
> the right way.There's almost no clearance between the floor and the tank and
> hoses, so you have to be extremely careful when cutting the floor. And it's
> harder to get the pump out because you can't reach and remove the wires and
> hoses from the top of the tank. When covering the hole back up,you *have to
> make sure that the patch is flame-resistant, and getting the sheet metal
> patch to fit the contours of the floor isn't easy. I ended up using
> fire-proofing caulk to seal *up the gaps.
>
> Which ever method you decide on, here are some helpful links. I also have
> lots of pics I took when I did it if you want them.
>
> http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-s...ad.php?t=86180

Steve,

thanks for the great info...
I'm going to give it more thought, I don't think I have the stones to
cut above the fuel lines with a Dremel tool, but I would consider
using tin snips... And I didn't realize that the access hole would be
so large, I thought it was going to be just the same size as the hole
in the tank.. with it so large, the exact location is not that
critical.

thanks for the info

Mark
Old October 23rd 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I would drop the tank.The bottom of the tank might be rusted between the
straps, especially if you live where they put salt on the roads in the
winter time?
cuhulin

Old October 23rd 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

Mark > wrote in
:

> On Oct 21, 11:21*pm, "Steve Newman" > wrote:
>> "Mark" > wrote in message
>>
>> .
>> ..

> thanks for the great info...
> I'm going to give it more thought, I don't think I have the stones to
> cut above the fuel lines with a Dremel tool,

Um, dremel tools make sparks. Are you *sure* that's a good idea?

Just drill a hole and then cut with snips or a hacksaw

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old October 23rd 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Newman

>thanks for the great info...
>I'm going to give it more thought, I don't think I have the stones to
>cut above the fuel lines with a Dremel tool, but I would consider
>using tin snips... And I didn't realize that the access hole would be
>so large, I thought it was going to be just the same size as the hole
>in the tank.. with it so large, the exact location is not that
>critical.

Here are some of the pics I took when I did it. You'll see how easy it would
be to cut in the wrong place and hit a hose or wire, and how little
clearance there is between the floor and the tank in at least one place (at
the rear of the hole).

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...nt%20M ethod/

Old May 29th 17, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Friday, October 22, 2010 at 2:08:07 PM UTC-10, Mark wrote:
> On Oct 21, 11:21Â*pm, "Steve Newman" > wrote:
> > "Mark" > wrote in message

> > >I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, the in tank fuel pump needs to be replaced.

> > > Instead of dropping the tank, I am considering cutting an access hole
> > > in the floor as is commonly provided Â*on many cars.

> > > Questions..

> > > Anybody try this on this car?

> > > Can anyone provide information about the correct location to make the
> > > access hole?

> > > Will I be able to reach the electrical connectors from above or will I
> > > have to go under the car to reach those?

> > Mark,
> > I did this on my daughter's '99 Taurus about a year ago. There are several
> > places on the Web that show pictures on where to cut. BUT, after all was
> > said and done, I think its harder than just dropping the tank and doing it
> > the right way.There's almost no clearance between the floor and the tank and
> > hoses, so you have to be extremely careful when cutting the floor. And it's
> > harder to get the pump out because you can't reach and remove the wires and
> > hoses from the top of the tank. When covering the hole back up,you Â*have to
> > make sure that the patch is flame-resistant, and getting the sheet metal
> > patch to fit the contours of the floor isn't easy. I ended up using
> > fire-proofing caulk to seal Â*up the gaps.
> >
> > Which ever method you decide on, here are some helpful links. I also have
> > lots of pics I took when I did it if you want them.
> >
> > http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-s...ad.php?t=86180

> Steve,
>
> thanks for the great info...
> I'm going to give it more thought, I don't think I have the stones to
> cut above the fuel lines with a Dremel tool, but I would consider
> using tin snips... And I didn't realize that the access hole would be
> so large, I thought it was going to be just the same size as the hole
> in the tank.. with it so large, the exact location is not that
> critical.
>
> thanks for the info
>
> Mark

You have to use an air cutter.
Old December 31st 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Old December 31st 17, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech