wont shift in high

Old April 27th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected][_1_]

Default wont shift in high

On the wifes 90 it doesn't seem to shift to high gear. It will shift
and get to 40mph but then just revs up but wont go faster.

Changed out the filter and fluid but didn't help.

it seems like a computer/electrical problem

Any help would be very appreciated
Old April 27th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
" > wrote:

> On the wifes 90 it doesn't seem to shift to high gear. It will shift
> and get to 40mph but then just revs up but wont go faster.

The clutch is worn out. Time for a new one.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old April 28th 10, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected][_1_]

This is an automatic

Old April 28th 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

Time for a used or rebuilt automatic?
Or, if you are so inclined, and the 90 is in very good condition-- consider:
Conversion to manual
Conversion to a V8
Most of the 90s would not be in good enough condition to warrant major
repair, due to age and high miles.

If I remember correctly, the automatic tranny uses bands as "clutches"

Old April 28th 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

On Apr 27, 3:09*pm, " > wrote:
> On the wifes 90 it doesn't seem to shift to high gear. *It will shift
> and get to 40mph but then just revs up but wont go faster.
>
> Changed out the filter and fluid but didn't help.
>
> it seems like a computer/electrical problem
>
> Any help would be very appreciated

Let her drive Joan's bug while you R&R the gearbox?

Just a suggestion, thief.

Chris
Old April 28th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

On 4/27/2010 7:55 PM, Chuck wrote:
> Time for a used or rebuilt automatic?
> Or, if you are so inclined, and the 90 is in very good condition--
> consider:
> Conversion to manual
> Conversion to a V8
> Most of the 90s would not be in good enough condition to warrant major
> repair, due to age and high miles.
>
> If I remember correctly, the automatic tranny uses bands as "clutches"

It's also possible that (40 Mph) the overdrive unit is not working
properly. What happens when you use the lockout switch-(Assuming that a
90 has one!)

> On 4/27/2010 7:13 PM, wrote:
>> This is an automatic
>>
>> On Apr 27, 3:52 pm, Lanny > wrote:
>>> In article

>>> The clutch is worn out. Time for a new one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lanny Chambers
>>> St. Louis, MO
>>> '94C