Rust on rotors on a car sitting for 4-months

Old May 7th 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Rust on rotors on a car sitting for 4-months

On Monday, November 30, 2009 at 3:51:53 AM UTC-5, techman41973 wrote:
> I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
> transmission.
> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
> be safe to drive
> due to rust on the rotors.
> Thanks

Hey! lift the car 1 tire at a time, remove the rotors soak them in white viniger for a few hours a piece. this will not only remove the rust from the break pad contact surface but it will also loosen if not remove all the rust from the holes around the edges. after this measure the rotors in mm to see if they match or are close to matching stock rotor specs. if you get a nice shiny rotor with no pitting in the metal or cracks. even hair pin cracks are no good! then you are ok to re install. The viniger chemically re-bonds "fuses" the surface layers of atoms in the steel. at the same time boils all the oxidation of the surface layers.
Old May 8th 17, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

wrote in
:

> On Monday, November 30, 2009 at 3:51:53 AM UTC-5, techman41973 wrote:
>> I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
>> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
>> transmission.
>> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
>> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
>> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
>> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
>> be safe to drive
>> due to rust on the rotors.
>> Thanks

> Hey! lift the car 1 tire at a time, remove the rotors soak them in
> white viniger for a few hours a piece. this will not only remove the
> rust from the break pad contact surface but it will also loosen if not
> remove all the rust from the holes around the edges. after this
> measure the rotors in mm to see if they match or are close to matching
> stock rotor specs. if you get a nice shiny rotor with no pitting in
> the metal or cracks. even hair pin cracks are no good! then you are ok
> to re install. The viniger chemically re-bonds "fuses" the surface
> layers of atoms in the steel. at the same time boils all the oxidation
> of the surface layers.

its been 8 years, I think he has figgured it out by now. KB