Rust on rotors on a car sitting for 4-months

Old November 30th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
techman41973

Default Rust on rotors on a car sitting for 4-months

I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
transmission.
I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
be safe to drive
due to rust on the rotors.
Thanks
Old November 30th 09, 09:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

techman41973 wrote:
> I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
> transmission.
> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
> be safe to drive
> due to rust on the rotors.
> Thanks

1 - Replace the rotors with shiny new ones.

2 - Pull the wheels, and spin the rotors while scrubbing both sides with
sandpaper, emery cloth, or a rotary wire brush on a drill.

3 - Drive it around the block a few times, braking carefully (ignore the
noise) until the surface rust is scrubbed off by the pads.

Old November 30th 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article
techman41973 > wrote:

> I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
> transmission.
> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
> be safe to drive
> due to rust on the rotors.
> Thanks

Unless the rust is ungodly - as in huge amounts of pitting, etc that
would be likely to cause problems, or the pads have "rotted out" or
bound to the rotor - it's essentially meaningless. Even without any
special "preparation", the first time you step on the brakes for a
"serious" stop, the pads will scour the rotors damn near, if not
totally, "fresh from the factory clean and shiny".

Assuming it was my car and the tranny was replaced, I'd "cure" the rusty
brake problem by simply taking a couple careful trips around the block
while riding the brake lightly. After the first 50-100 feet of that,
chances are good that you wouldn't be able to tell there was ever any
rust on the rotors to begin with - unless enough of the rust-dust that
gets rubbed off settles on the wheels to be visible.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me
Old November 30th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
fred

MasterBlaster > wrote in

> techman41973 wrote:
>> I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
>> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
>> transmission.
>> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
>> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
>> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
>> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
>> be safe to drive
>> due to rust on the rotors.
>> Thanks

Drive it around the block a few times, braking carefully (ignore the
> noise) until the surface rust is scrubbed off by the pads.

Without a transmission? How?

Old November 30th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article >, fred >
wrote:

> MasterBlaster > wrote in
>
> > techman41973 wrote:
> >> I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
> >> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
> >> transmission.
> >> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
> >> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
> >> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
> >> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
> >> be safe to drive
> >> due to rust on the rotors.
> >> Thanks

> Drive it around the block a few times, braking carefully (ignore the
> > noise) until the surface rust is scrubbed off by the pads.
> >

> Without a transmission? How?

Uhm... Hello? Read much?

Which part of "...after I have the transmission replaced..." is unclear?
Or are you just picking nits that even a low-grade moron would ignore so
that you have an excuse to post something?

Old November 30th 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"techman41973" > wrote in message
>I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
> transmission.
> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
> be safe to drive
> due to rust on the rotors.
> Thanks

Unless the rotors are seriously pitted, cracked, etc they will probably
clean up after the pads are applied a few times. The 100% CYA advice
is to fix and replace everything, but it is normally not needed.
Just be careful until you find out exactly what the condition is.

Old November 30th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

techman41973 wrote:

> I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
> transmission.
> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
> be safe to drive
> due to rust on the rotors.

If the car were mine, I would be more concerned about rust on the
calipers and/or brake lines. Calipers will often stick due to rust that
welds mating surfaces together and brake lines often rust out at the
lowest point in the line where small amounts of water tends to settle
out of the fluid.
While you're starting the engine once in a month it is a good idea to
pump the brakes to stir up the brake fluid and keep the calipers from
freezing up.

-jim
Old November 30th 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

techman41973 wrote:
> I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
> transmission.
> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago.
> My concern is that the brake rotors are covered in rust.
> I've heard this is normal when a car sits for long periods.
> My concern is that after I have the transmission replaced, it may not
> be safe to drive
> due to rust on the rotors.
> Thanks

Normal for the rotors to rust. Best solution is to replace them with new
rotors AND replace the pads, if they are semi-metallics they have also
started to rust. Replacement rotors and pads are MUCH cheaper than the
body-work and hospital bills!!

BUT you could just pull them and have them cut enough to clean up and
true the surfaces.

Or just step on the brakes a couple times to clean off the rust.

--
Steve W.
Old December 4th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 07:41:25 -0600, hls wrote:

> "techman41973" > wrote in message
>>I have a 97 Accord that's been sitting for 4-months.
>> My transmission died and I'm still debating replacing it with a used
>> transmission.
>> I start it once a month and added fuel stabilizer months ago. My concern
>> is that the brake rotors are covered in rust. I've heard this is normal
>> when a car sits for long periods. My concern is that after I have the
>> transmission replaced, it may not be safe to drive
>> due to rust on the rotors.
>> Thanks

> Unless the rotors are seriously pitted, cracked, etc they will probably
> clean up after the pads are applied a few times. The 100% CYA advice is
> to fix and replace everything, but it is normally not needed. Just be
> careful until you find out exactly what the condition is.

I agree with this one. My Supra sits for 6 months, and my Subaru sits for
6 months (of course, the Supra is in a heated garage...)

I just drive 'em. The rust comes off in the first few miles, and if it
doesn't it means a caliper on theat wheel isn't functioning.

My Scion collects rust just sitting for a week!