New to restoration, looking to do a 1st gen GTO

Old February 5th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
es330td

Default New to restoration, looking to do a 1st gen GTO

(Note: if this is the wrong usenet group for this I apologize. This
one seemed right.)

I am looking to start a car restoration project in a couple of years.
My son is 7 and I plan to work with him restoring a mid 60's muscle
car with a target of him driving it when he is legal to drive. I
don't plan on doing a 100% show quality restore but it will be the
kind of vehicle that will turn heads when it goes down the road.

In my past I have worked in a garage so I have some experience with
engines and car repair. In addition, I have a relative who has run a
successful repair shop for 20 years so I have an expert resource I can
access. He has never done a restoration, however, so I thought I
would start here.

I am looking to use the next three years to prepare myself for this
project. I own a house with a two car garage, one side is not being
used except for storage and a large backyard with a gate big enough to
get my truck through, so I think I have a place for the car to live
while being worked on and space to work. I know I am going to need
tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.

I come to this group to find out where I can find these things. My
dream car is a 1st generation GTO and these show up on eBay needing
lots of work for under $1,000 fairly regularly so I am not worried
about finding a car, though when I do get ready to get one I know
spending a little more on the right car up front can save much time
and money so I will be back here for specifics on car selection. For
the rest of it, however, I know that going to my local Autozone is
probably not the best route for getting the parts I will need.

What resources do y'all recommend to help me get ready for this
project? I am especially looking for online forums (I found one at
highperformancepontiac.com) but I don't know what various groups,
magazines, etc exist out there for people looking to rebuild/restore
these cars.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old February 6th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

On Feb 5, 1:01*pm, es330td > wrote:
> (Note: if this is the wrong usenet group for this I apologize. *This
> one seemed right.)
>
> I am looking to start a car restoration project in a couple of years.
> My son is 7 and I plan to work with him restoring a mid 60's muscle
> car with a target of him driving it when he is legal to drive. *I
> don't plan on doing a 100% show quality restore but it will be the
> kind of vehicle that will turn heads when it goes down the road.
>
> In my past I have worked in a garage so I have some experience with
> engines and car repair. *In addition, I have a relative who has run a
> successful repair shop for 20 years so I have an expert resource I can
> access. *He has never done a restoration, however, so I thought I
> would start here.
>
> I am looking to use the next three years to prepare myself for this
> project. *I own a house with a two car garage, one side is not being
> used except for storage and a large backyard with a gate big enough to
> get my truck through, so I think I have a place for the car to live
> while being worked on and space to work. *I know I am going to need
> tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.
>
> I come to this group to find out where I can find these things. *My
> dream car is a 1st generation GTO and these show up on eBay needing
> lots of work for under $1,000 fairly regularly so I am not worried
> about finding a car, though when I do get ready to get one I know
> spending a little more on the right car up front can save much time
> and money so I will be back here for specifics on car selection. *For
> the rest of it, however, I know that going to my local Autozone is
> probably not the best route for getting the parts I will need.
>
> What resources do y'all recommend to help me get ready for this
> project? I am especially looking for online forums (I found one at
> highperformancepontiac.com) but I don't know what various groups,
> magazines, etc exist out there for people looking to rebuild/restore
> these cars.
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You are looking at conflicting purposes here.
The more hand work you do, the more sweat-equity you / he have it in,
thus the more likely it is that it will be safely driven - and
repaired by the son, should anything occur, Working as a team will be
long remembered - so getbhim involved in every decision. If he insists
in doing something "his" way, give him some slack by explaining your
viewpoint only once. Avoid "I told you so." if things go wrong, don't
say "I told you so." and complement him when he is right.

OTOH, experts agree that the best way to buy a car is to get the best
one you can afford. - everythng costs more than is expected.

Have fun. I have no kids and am jealous.

PS I was given a flat-head '46 Ford when I was fourteen. It belonged
to an uncle
A valve head had fallen off the stem and into the combution chamber,
breaking the head and piston.
Nice visit staying with aunt / uncle, working on the car at the edge
of a marsh in Sherborn MA.
Old February 6th 09, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

es330td wrote:

> I know I am going to need
> tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.

Tools can be bought anywhere. Parts are another matter. the place to start is to
pull up Google and type in "+pontiac +antique +parts" without the quotes. When I
tried that, the first entry was something called "Classic Car Parts Giant" that
looks like it has about anything you would need. These outfits will also have
manuals, and the originals come up on EBay frequently.

Once you get your car and know what year you have, haunt EBay. Hit it once a
week or more. Let's say you have a '65 Goat. Type in "65 GTO" into the search
window, including the quotation marks. Also try "1965 GTO". No matter what
exotic item you need, one will show up on EBay eventually.

If you can locate one, get a cross-reference for parts so that you know what
parts were common to other Pontiac models. If you're haunting EBay for some odd
part, it's handy to know that it also came on other models or other years.
Sometimes the auto parts sites have this sort of thing (they do for my Ford).

If you need an esoteric tool, some auto parts stores do tool rental.

George Patterson
I worry that the person who thought up Muzac may be thinking up
something else.
Old February 6th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

On Feb 5, 8:06*pm, George Patterson > wrote:
> es330td wrote:
> > I know I am going to need
> > tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.

> Tools can be bought anywhere. Parts are another matter. the place to start is to
> pull up Google and type in "+pontiac +antique +parts" without the quotes. When I
> tried that, the first entry was something called "Classic Car Parts Giant" that
> looks like it has about anything you would need. These outfits will also have
> manuals, and the originals come up on EBay frequently.
>
> Once you get your car and know what year you have, haunt EBay. Hit it once a
> week or more. Let's say you have a '65 Goat. Type in "65 GTO" into the search
> window, including the quotation marks. Also try "1965 GTO". No matter what
> exotic item you need, one will show up on EBay eventually.
>
> If you can locate one, get a cross-reference for parts so that you know what
> parts were common to other Pontiac models. If you're haunting EBay for some odd
> part, it's handy to know that it also came on other models or other years..
> Sometimes the auto parts sites have this sort of thing (they do for my Ford).
>
> If you need an esoteric tool, some auto parts stores do tool rental.
>
> George Patterson
> * * I worry that the person who thought up Muzac may be thinking up
> * * something else.

Also look for perts used on similiar caars made by GM/ My nephew has
an Olds that I keep callign a Pontiac as I can't tell it from a GTO.
eBay also has a way to list your desires and you will be notified when
it show up.I haven't used it, so I can't say how i works.
Old February 8th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny[_2_]

Check out Year One
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...sp?cat=W&pco=1

They have virtually every repro part youy mightneed for a restoration
of a GM muscle car (and others) They also sell shop manuals,
instruction videos, etc.

Join a national club for the specific make of your car. Many clubs
have web based help forums,etc. Other GTO enthusiasts will be more
than ready to help you with parts, procedures, etc.
Old February 9th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

On Feb 8, 1:01*pm, Otto Skorzeny > wrote:
> Check out Year Onehttp://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=W&pco=1
>
> They have virtually every repro part youy mightneed for a restoration
> of a GM muscle car (and others) They also sell shop manuals,
> instruction videos, etc.
>
> Join a national club for the specific make of your car. Many clubs
> have web based help forums,etc. Other GTO enthusiasts will be more
> than ready to help you with parts, procedures, etc.

.....and maybe telling you which vendors to avoid.
Old February 9th 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
fred

es330td > wrote in
:

> (Note: if this is the wrong usenet group for this I apologize. This
> one seemed right.)
>
> I am looking to start a car restoration project in a couple of years.
> My son is 7 and I plan to work with him restoring a mid 60's muscle
> car with a target of him driving it when he is legal to drive. I
> don't plan on doing a 100% show quality restore but it will be the
> kind of vehicle that will turn heads when it goes down the road.
>
> In my past I have worked in a garage so I have some experience with
> engines and car repair. In addition, I have a relative who has run a
> successful repair shop for 20 years so I have an expert resource I can
> access. He has never done a restoration, however, so I thought I
> would start here.
>
> I am looking to use the next three years to prepare myself for this
> project. I own a house with a two car garage, one side is not being
> used except for storage and a large backyard with a gate big enough to
> get my truck through, so I think I have a place for the car to live
> while being worked on and space to work. I know I am going to need
> tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.
>
> I come to this group to find out where I can find these things. My
> dream car is a 1st generation GTO and these show up on eBay needing
> lots of work for under $1,000 fairly regularly so I am not worried
> about finding a car, though when I do get ready to get one I know
> spending a little more on the right car up front can save much time
> and money so I will be back here for specifics on car selection. For
> the rest of it, however, I know that going to my local Autozone is
> probably not the best route for getting the parts I will need.
>
> What resources do y'all recommend to help me get ready for this
> project? I am especially looking for online forums (I found one at
> highperformancepontiac.com) but I don't know what various groups,
> magazines, etc exist out there for people looking to rebuild/restore
> these cars.
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Not really on the "after aquisition" part of it, but check into the
seller extensively as possible *way* before you even bid. There were,
are and always will be Ebay scams. Personally, I don't like the idea of
paying for something before I even see it myself, but to each his own. I'd
check your local paper/junkyard/auto trader mag/local usenet hierarchy (as
in ut.* for example if you're in utah).
Old February 22nd 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.antique

ANY vehicle restoration project WILL be a learning experience, both in
mechanically specific items on the particular vehicle AND in some "one
year" items on the particular vehicle (which can look completely
identical to a similar part on another vehicle from the same maker OR a
different year of the same generation vehicle . . . but aren't).

YearONE is a long time vendor for muscle car restoration parts. In
beginning the project, if you have a relative that has a business, they
might set him up with an open charge account so you can order parts
cheaper than possibly otherwise.

One somewhat flaky thing is that if you buy enough at one time, you can
make the "business discount" look like it's more trouble than it might
be worth. At least, that's the way it was about 15 years ago.

In the mean time, there have been other restoration parts vendors come
onto the scene, many of which supply YearONE with parts for resale. For
carpets, you can use Auto Custom Carpets in GA, for example. For other
interior trim items, you can use Legendary Interiors. Both of these
companies supply correct OEM interior items worthy of the best correct
restoration project as they are "production correct" items.

There are also a few GM-specific magazines yo might check out for other
vendors. One used to be "Pontiac Enthusiast" magazine. Seems like
there's also "Pontiac Performance" or something similar. You can
usually find them at Barnes&Noble or online. They'll have advertising
in them that you migth not find other places.

There is also a soft back book on GTO Restoration, with similar titles
for Chevelles and such. I know that in a few instances, there CAN be
errors in these publications, for whatever reason. Typically, though,
these errors might only be meaningful if you were going to do a 10%
correct restoration. They can be helpful for general information,
though.

In the Pontiac-oriented magazines, you'll also find information on shows
at the local, regional, and national levels. Attending one of them
BEFORE you jump off into the project can be highly helpful . . . or it
could be a deal-breaker too.

KEY THING is to make sure that you're going to build YOUR dream car or
your son's. I know of one case where a local body shop guy searched for
a '66 Mustang for his high school age daughter to have for graduation.
He searched dilligently for a good one to rebuild. When it was getting
close to being done, he mentioned to her that it was going to be hers.
He thought she would be thrilled to have such a car . . . WRONG! She
wanted "a new car" rather than one that wasn't, didn't matter if it was
a vintage Mustang, she wanted a new car. Needless to say, he was
crushed and later finished the car and sold it.

So, get the Pontiac magazines, find the GTO clubs' websites, plan to go
to the local and natioanal show events (where many vendors will also be
in the swap meet or vendor midway area!), and THEN test the waters to
see if your son might be interested in what you propose to do.

Personally, my favorite GTOs were not the first years, but the '66-'67
years. In the earlier years, as I recall, "GTO" was an option package
on a LeMans, but in the years I mention, it was a separate model.
Learning how to read VIN numbers from back then can be KEY in
determining if you will be buying a real one or a clone. Same with
Camaro Z/28s. "Realness" can inflate the price somewhat, so be an
informed shopper.

To me, forget eBAY for vehicle purchases. You can use it as a shopping
tool to see what the market will require price-wise, but do NOT purchase
a vehicle online unless you talk to the seller and you can see some
extensive pictures. Going to the car meets and talking to people who
have done what you are considering doing can be helpful in knowing what
to look for when inspecting the potential vehicle for purchase.

You can probably be better off shopping on Craigslist for the area you
might be in or near. Generally, with lower costs, you'll find
"distressed sellers" rather than otherwise. Hence, the prices will be
more reasonable AND you can more easily travel to look at the car and
dicker with the owner . . . if it's what you might want.

Rather than get a higher priced real GTO, you might consider a more
normal LeMans hardtop. Prices will be less for purchase and you might
take a few "liberties" with the restoration that would otherwise hurt
the value of a real GTO. Even if it might have a Pontiac 350 rather
than the 400, it'll run pretty good and get better fuel mileage, due in
part to the fact it can have more normal rear axle ratios than a
"performance car" of the same year. In other words, if you want to
profile and make a little noise, it'll cost less to get there. Even if
you find a really nice car with little rust, it'll be less than a rough
GTO, I suspect, while offering the same enjoyment factor . . . possibly
even more as "a sleeper", kind of like the later LeMans GT-37 cars.

Getting your son involved in the project is KEY as he'll be learning as
he goes, too. IF you can get the car hobby spark lit in him, it can be
even better . . . especially for USA vehicles.

Perhaps, after finding a nice car, it'll be "your car", but you can ask
him to do research and see how to reasonably proceed with the project.
Key thing is "bang for the buck" in upgrades and modifications. The
basic things would be to get the body fixed up and then the mechanicals
in order. ALL of these things can be highly Pontiac-specific, athough
the general platform was shared with Chevy, Buick, and Olds.

Happy Hobbying!

C-BODY