injector service off car. worth it ?

Old June 19th 08, 04:57 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Default injector service off car. worth it ?

RT wrote:
> Has anyone ever had their injectors serviced off the car ? There are
> several companies out there who clean and measure before and after the
> flow of the injectors. Comes down to around 20 dollars per injector.
> This is for a 1.6l corolla engine with 160K miles on it. Idle is a
> little rough and there is slight pinging when it's hot out. no Check
> engine lights.

========

Shell V-Power (premium) has a lot of detergents in it, much more
than the Top Tier threshold. Shell primo is Tribologist Terry
Dyson's favorite gas right now.

He likes it with ethanol in the premium, too. Like lotsa folks,
I'm not keen on 10 percent ethanol, though.
Old June 19th 08, 05:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"Built_Well" > wrote in message
> RT wrote:
>> Has anyone ever had their injectors serviced off the car ? There are
>> several companies out there who clean and measure before and after the
>> flow of the injectors. Comes down to around 20 dollars per injector.
>> This is for a 1.6l corolla engine with 160K miles on it. Idle is a
>> little rough and there is slight pinging when it's hot out. no Check
>> engine lights.

> ========
>
> Shell V-Power (premium) has a lot of detergents in it, much more
> than the Top Tier threshold. Shell primo is Tribologist Terry
> Dyson's favorite gas right now.
>
> He likes it with ethanol in the premium, too. Like lotsa folks,
> I'm not keen on 10 percent ethanol, though.

I doubt if the best gas in the world will eliminate the condition that the
OP is describing, and it is not necessary to use premium fuel in a Corolla.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old June 19th 08, 05:13 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Ray O wrote:
> "Built_Well" > wrote in message
> > RT wrote:
> >> Has anyone ever had their injectors serviced off the car ? There are
> >> several companies out there who clean and measure before and after the
> >> flow of the injectors. Comes down to around 20 dollars per injector.
> >> This is for a 1.6l corolla engine with 160K miles on it. Idle is a
> >> little rough and there is slight pinging when it's hot out. no Check
> >> engine lights.

> > ========
> >
> > Shell V-Power (premium) has a lot of detergents in it, much more
> > than the Top Tier threshold. Shell primo is Tribologist Terry
> > Dyson's favorite gas right now.
> >
> > He likes it with ethanol in the premium, too. Like lotsa folks,
> > I'm not keen on 10 percent ethanol, though.

> I doubt if the best gas in the world will eliminate the condition that the
> OP is describing, and it is not necessary to use premium fuel in a Corolla.
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)

=========

Well, you mentioned the OP should try Chevron Techron
fuel injector cleaner. I was just noting that the
detergent additive in Shell V-Power is preferred by
Tribologist Terry Dyson more than the Techron that
comes in Chevron gasoline.

Once he gets his injector problem resolved, he can
opt for a brand name gasoline like Shell V-Power,
(regular grade or premium).
Old June 19th 08, 05:29 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"Built_Well" > wrote in message
> Ray O wrote:
>> > ========
>> >
>> > Shell V-Power (premium) has a lot of detergents in it, much more
>> > than the Top Tier threshold. Shell primo is Tribologist Terry
>> > Dyson's favorite gas right now.
>> >
>> > He likes it with ethanol in the premium, too. Like lotsa folks,
>> > I'm not keen on 10 percent ethanol, though.

>> I doubt if the best gas in the world will eliminate the condition that
>> the
>> OP is describing, and it is not necessary to use premium fuel in a
>> Corolla.
>> --
>>
>> Ray O
>> (correct punctuation to reply)

> =========
>
> Well, you mentioned the OP should try Chevron Techron
> fuel injector cleaner. I was just noting that the
> detergent additive in Shell V-Power is preferred by
> Tribologist Terry Dyson more than the Techron that
> comes in Chevron gasoline.

I also mentioned that a dirty MAF sensor is more likely to cure the
condition than cleaning the fuel injectors.

Old June 19th 08, 05:49 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku[_3_]

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:57:59 -0700, Built_Well wrote:

> Shell V-Power (premium) has a lot of detergents in it, much more
> than the Top Tier threshold.

Perhaps TOO many! I get horrible mileage with V-Power, and since I get it
in VT it's 'real' gas.

I get better mileage with 2nd tier E-10 Premium than I do with V-Power!

Old June 19th 08, 01:00 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Tegger wrote:

> I think Terry Dyson is overrated and thinks he knows more than
> he actually does.

========

[Chuckle] Well, I think Mr. Terry Dyson of Dyson Analysis is
a renowned tribologist with decades of experience who analyzes
UOAs on a daily basis. He can see, for example, the effects of
different brands of gasoline on engines that have
fuel dilution blow-by problems, piston ring problems, etc.

Finally, people don't pay him $60 per used oil analysis for
nothing, especially when you can get a used oil analysis from
Blackstone-Labs for ~$23. But North America is about
diversity, so you're welcome to your opinion :-) [Lol]
Old June 19th 08, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Hachiroku wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:57:59 -0700, Built_Well wrote:
>

> > Shell V-Power (premium) has a lot of detergents in it, much more
> > than the Top Tier threshold.

> ========
>
> Perhaps TOO many! I get horrible mileage with V-Power, and since I get it
> in VT it's 'real' gas.
>
> I get better mileage with 2nd tier E-10 Premium than I do with V-Power!

==============

Why don't you elaborate on this, Hachi. Give us some
concrete mileage numbers. Interesting :-)
Old June 19th 08, 01:17 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
HLS

> Finally, people don't pay him $60 per used oil analysis for
> nothing, especially when you can get a used oil analysis from
> Blackstone-Labs for ~$23. But North America is about
> diversity, so you're welcome to your opinion :-) [Lol]

My unsolicited opinion is that used oil analysis is, for the most part,
a waste of money.
Old June 19th 08, 01:33 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

HLS wrote:
> > Finally, people don't pay him $60 per used oil analysis for
> > nothing, especially when you can get a used oil analysis from
> > Blackstone-Labs for ~$23. But North America is about
> > diversity, so you're welcome to your opinion :-) [Lol]

> My unsolicited opinion is that used oil analysis is, for the most part,
> a waste of money.

I have to disagree here. Huge fleets and sober, bottom line
minded trucking companies employ Used Oil Analysis on an
ongoing basis to protect their costly engine investments.