Oil pressure gauge sticking on start-up in cold weather?

Old December 26th 04, 05:36 PM
Azfreeflyer

Default Oil pressure gauge sticking on start-up in cold weather?

First time poster he

2002 Exploror Sport
4.0 liter
Auto Trans.
32,000 miles
(proper service intervals and oil changes)

Having a strange problem on our Exp Sport's instrument panel Oil Pressure gauge
when "cold weather" starting first thing in the morning. (below 30 degrees)

Upon" first-thing-in-the-morning" starting, the instrument panel Oil Pressure
gauge will not show a reading and the "check gauges" light will display.

Near as I can tell, the colder it is outside, the longer the duration the gauge
will not show any movement when "cold-starting-first-thing-in-the-morning"
(anywhere from 3-26 seconds).

Finally the Oil pressure gauge will snap up to "normal" and all seems well
("check gauges" light will turn off as well) and the Oil pressure gauge will
work properly through all starting cycles through the day.

When inserting Key and turning ignition to "on" position (without starting
engine), the Oil pressure gauge will "jump" just a little, then settle back
resting on it's little peg, as all the instrument panel gauges set up their
readings.This (I would think) would tell one, that there is power going to the
Oil pressure sending unit.

Could it just be the oil pressure sending unit is sticking, clogged, or just
plain can't stand the cold weather, or is the engine really running with no
pressure for a short duration on cold mornings?

Thanks,
-=dave in Arizona

Old December 26th 04, 08:22 PM
Jim Warman

What weight motor oil?

Oil that is too thick can resist flowing in a cold motor producing the
sypmtoms you describe.

Old December 27th 04, 12:41 AM
Hairy

"Azfreeflyer" > wrote in message
> First time poster he
>
> 2002 Exploror Sport
> 4.0 liter
> Auto Trans.
> 32,000 miles
> (proper service intervals and oil changes)
>
> Having a strange problem on our Exp Sport's instrument panel Oil Pressure

gauge
> when "cold weather" starting first thing in the morning. (below 30

degrees)

> Upon" first-thing-in-the-morning" starting, the instrument panel Oil

Pressure
> gauge will not show a reading and the "check gauges" light will display.
>
> Near as I can tell, the colder it is outside, the longer the duration the

gauge
> will not show any movement when "cold-starting-first-thing-in-the-morning"
> (anywhere from 3-26 seconds).
>
> Finally the Oil pressure gauge will snap up to "normal" and all seems well
> ("check gauges" light will turn off as well) and the Oil pressure gauge

will
> work properly through all starting cycles through the day.
>
> When inserting Key and turning ignition to "on" position (without starting
> engine), the Oil pressure gauge will "jump" just a little, then settle

back
> resting on it's little peg, as all the instrument panel gauges set up

their
> readings.This (I would think) would tell one, that there is power going to

the
> Oil pressure sending unit.
>
> Could it just be the oil pressure sending unit is sticking, clogged, or

just
> plain can't stand the cold weather, or is the engine really running with

no
> pressure for a short duration on cold mornings?

A gent in another forum, recently, had a similar problem and found that it
went away when he switched to a different oil filter brand. FWIW, he
switched from AC/Delco to purolator.

Old December 27th 04, 12:56 AM
Jim Warman

Good point, several consumer oil filter brands don't feature an
anti-drainback valve, still others can have inadeqate or faulty
anti-drainback provisions.

While paying top dollar is no guarranty of good quality, low price usually
assures poor quality.....

Old December 27th 04, 02:20 AM
Azfreeflyer

>Subject: Oil pressure gauge sticking on start-up in cold weather?
>From: "Jim Warman"

>What weight motor oil?
>
>Oil that is too thick can resist flowing in a cold motor producing the
>sypmtoms you describe.

Thank you for the reply,

The motor oil is 10-40W.

Did a "google" search on the subject and found a few hits suggesting an "oil
pressure sender" replacement, as well as the symptoms being a common
aggravation amongst 4.0 Explorers.

I have also read the factory "oil pressure" gauge is not a "real" gauge, and
just notes that there is "pressure" in the motor.

-=dave in Arizona

Old December 27th 04, 03:43 AM
Jim Warman

The recommended motor oil for your car is 5W30.... there will be a chart in
your owners manual with suggestions regarding minimum temp and oil viscosity
"allowances". Certainly, thicker than recommended oil coupled with a bargain
filter will have an effect similar to yours.

In all honesty, I see no reason to reinvent the wheel when it comes to motor
oil requirements. Use the chart in the owners manual along with your best
judgement when selecting a motor oil. While the engineers and Ma Ford are
thinking of CAFE standards when specing oil viscosity, they also have an eye
toward engine lube requirements. While this latest crop of motors still
works on the old "suck/squeeze/bang/blow" premise, construction techniques,
materials and how much oil goes where have taken a giant leap from the old
technology we are accustommed to.

My best suggestion would be to change the engine oil..... try 5W30
Motorcraft oil (it's the manufacturers recommendation so it should be right)
and a FL1A filter (again, the manufacturers recommendation). If the problem
persists, there should be an identifiable condition.

Old December 27th 04, 03:22 PM
KW12698

>Subject: Oil pressure gauge sticking on start-up in cold weather?
>From: "Jim Warman"

>My best suggestion would be to change the engine oil..... try 5W30
>Motorcraft oil (it's the manufacturers recommendation so it should be right)
>and a FL1A filter (again, the manufacturers recommendation). If the problem
>persists, there should be an identifiable condition.

Thank you for the reply,

Will try the recommended oil/filter change.

-=dave in Arizona