Better Glass Cleaner?

Old June 23rd 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Better Glass Cleaner?

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
> Metal content: Less every year...
>

> I bought a year old Lincoln LS automobile last January and in the past
> couple of weeks, as we started getting some daytime temps in the 90s
> here in Red Sox Nation I've been noticing an annoying film on the inside
> of the windshield.
>
> It's really a pain at night when facing oncoming lights or when driving
> into the sun.
>
> Whatever it is, it doesn't respond worth a damn to cleaning with Windex
> and paper towels, what's there just sort of smears around but doesn't
> come off completely, even with several scrubbings. And, by the next
> evening there seems to be another layer there.
>
> I'm assuming the film on the glass is some chemical (a plasticiser?)
> being boiled out of all the plastic inside the car, but what's the best
> way to remove it short of kicking out the windshield or maybe leaving
> the windows down all day, neither of which appeal to me.
>
> A neighbor mentioned some kind of small pillow-like "dry cleaning" pad
> for glass sold by Eddie Bauer, but I couldn't spot it on their web site.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff

Wow, lots of suggestions. I only saw one that agree with and that
suggested "Invisible Glass" made by Stoner and available in most of the
auto parts stores. It works well on removing the vinyl plasticizers
accumulated on the glass. Used it on my cars and my brother-in-laws
motor home. The motor home took several tries because of the amount of
buildup due to size of the glass and the amount of vinyl
Old June 23rd 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:46:48 -0500, Raymond J. Henry
> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:25:29 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
> wrote:
>
>>Metal content: Less every year...
>>

>>I bought a year old Lincoln LS automobile last January and in the past
>>couple of weeks, as we started getting some daytime temps in the 90s
>>here in Red Sox Nation I've been noticing an annoying film on the inside
>>of the windshield.

>Try waiting for the windscreen to cool, then cleaning it first with
>vinegar & water. After that, follow up with Windex and a high
>absorbent rag of some type. I've found that paper towels are not
>always the best for removing all residue. Could try Kleenex or such...

I've had good luck with Sprayway Glass Cleaner. I get it at WalMart.
it's in an aerosol can, and it foam when applied, I've never had any
residue issues.
Old June 25th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:52:54 GMT, "why, me" >
wrote:

>> I'm assuming the film on the glass is some chemical (a plasticiser?)
>> being boiled out of all the plastic inside the car, but what's the best
>> way to remove it short of kicking out the windshield or maybe leaving
>> the windows down all day, neither of which appeal to me.
>>
>> A neighbor mentioned some kind of small pillow-like "dry cleaning" pad
>> for glass sold by Eddie Bauer, but I couldn't spot it on their web site.
>>
>> Thanks guys,
>>
>> Jeff

>Wow, lots of suggestions. I only saw one that agree with and that
>suggested "Invisible Glass" made by Stoner and available in most of the
>auto parts stores. It works well on removing the vinyl plasticizers
>accumulated on the glass. Used it on my cars and my brother-in-laws
>motor home. The motor home took several tries because of the amount of
>buildup due to size of the glass and the amount of vinyl

I second this one. Invisible Glass does much better than the
traditional ammonia + water, or vinegar + newspaper (which really does
NOT make the glass clean, it may look clean, but if you - for instance
- clean a glass computer scanner bed with a newspaper you will have
tiny newsprint smears all over the scan).

Use either Bounty Paper Towels For Glass, Windex Clean & Shine
disposable Microfiber cloths (I think using a disposable microfiber is
better than reusing a 'real' microfiber cloth - I seriously doubt
rinsing them with water will get all the dirt out that they claim to
'lock in'), or a real microfiber cloth. Standard paper towels can
leave their own residue on the glass.

--

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.