Throttle position sensor

Old October 31st 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Nogueira

Default Throttle position sensor

I was driving my wife's Nissan Cube and noticed that on occasions when stopped with engine running, depressing the throttle resulted in no increase in engine RPM until the petal was about 1/4 to 1/2 fully depressed, once past that mark the engine would suddenly rev quickly to what you would expect at that throttle setting. This made taking off from a stop with cars in front of you rather frightening since the car simply sat as the car line pulled away and suddenly the Cube would jump forward. (Think of a reostat with the lower half not making contact then it hits a point where contact is made).
Took it to the Nissan dealer and the said they cleared some old codes and test drove it but could not find a problem.
Anyone know if a throttle petal sender unit which was sending a intermediate signal at part throttle would file a problem code with the system?
Old November 1st 17, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Bob Nogueira > wrote:
>I was driving my wife's Nissan Cube and noticed that on occasions when stop=
>ped with engine running, depressing the throttle resulted in no increase in=
> engine RPM until the petal was about 1/4 to 1/2 fully depressed, once past=
> that mark the engine would suddenly rev quickly to what you would expect a=
>t that throttle setting. This made taking off from a stop with cars in fro=
>nt of you rather frightening since the car simply sat as the car line pulle=
>d away and suddenly the Cube would jump forward. (Think of a reostat with=
> the lower half not making contact then it hits a point where contact is ma=
>de).
>Took it to the Nissan dealer and the said they cleared some old codes and t=
>est drove it but could not find a problem. =20
>Anyone know if a throttle petal sender unit which was sending a intermediat=
>e signal at part throttle would file a problem code with the system?

Depends entirely on the car. What year was it?

Some cars, the TPS is really just a switch that tells when it's at idle,
other cars it's a real potentiometer that can have dead spots.

Some cars also have a mechanical airflow sensor which can behave this way.
Others have hot wire sensors that fail differently.

And of course there is the ever popular mechanical issues with the butterfly
valve although you'd expect even the dealer mechanics to be able to find that.
--scott

Throttle Position Sensor and what I've learned DougW[_2_] Jeep 0 July 16th 11 04:52 PM
97 XJ throttle position sensor? Lynn Jeep 5 February 17th 09 01:25 PM
Throttle Position Sensor went out...OUCH! SHRED Honda 15 April 11th 08 01:44 PM
throttle position sensor oldworld Jeep 3 December 23rd 07 02:22 PM
Throttle Position Sensor and.... [email protected] Technology 19 June 24th 06 10:20 PM