Correct VIN?

Old September 18th 17, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski

Default Correct VIN?

On 9/18/2017 12:48 AM, Xeno wrote:

> The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a typical
> stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often hidden under a
> carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped VIN on, say, a
> chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it is on the chassis
> rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must have a matching VIN.

I counted 8 places on my car and there may be more.

I do take minor issue with the term "must have matching VIN" If you
know the car was in an accident and the door was replaced from a junk
yard, the VIN on the door would be removed or not matched. It can still
be a good deal on the car.
Old September 18th 17, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Xeno

On 18/09/2017 10:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/18/2017 12:48 AM, Xeno wrote:
>

>> The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a
>> typical stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often
>> hidden under a carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped
>> VIN on, say, a chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it
>> is on the chassis rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must
>> have a matching VIN.
>>

> I counted 8 places on my car and there may be more.
>
> I do take minor issue with the term "must have matching VIN"Â* If you
> know the car was in an accident and the door was replaced from a junk
> yard, the VIN on the door would be removed or not matched.Â* It can still
> be a good deal on the car.

The important VIN locations are the plate and the one or two stamped
locations. They must all match otherwise the car may have been illegally
resurrected. All the others are subject to being replaced during a
repair. I'm not in any way disputing your point.

--

Xeno
Old September 18th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:48:16 +1000, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 18/09/2017 5:14 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:29:52 -0400, micky >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looking to buy a car, check the VIN on carfax, and the repair history
>>> there conflicts with the seller's story about where the car has been.
>>>
>>> So maybe I copied the VIN wrong, probably just one digit, but the make
>>> and model of the car that carfax reports is the same as the one I'm
>>> looking at. Does that mean I have the right VIN?
>>>
>>> OTOH aren't the last 6 or so digits just a sequential number from the
>>> assembly line that makes, at least for a period of time, just one make
>>> and model, and maybe 2 or 3 submodels?? So that would mean that I still
>>> might have used the wrong VIN, right? If I got the last digit, or even
>>> the next to the last, I might have the car that came off the line next,
>>> right?

>> A suggestion; in the future, use your phone to take a picture of the
>> ID plate on the car. I have been doing this with all my equipment, so
>> that when I need to find a manual online, I don't have to rely on my
>> nearly indecipherable handwriting.
>>

>The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a typical
>stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often hidden under a
>carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped VIN on, say, a
>chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it is on the chassis
>rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must have a matching VIN.

On a separate chassis vehicle there will be a chassis number, a body
number, and 2 tags. One tag will be on the dash/windscreen, and one on
the doorpost. The body number is generally stamped somewhere on the
firewall or one of the inner fender rails or shock towers.. The
chassis number will be stamped on the chassis.A version of the vin
(not necessarily the complete number) will also be on the engine
block.
The tags will be rivetted to the body. In all but some of the oldest
cars, if they are screwed on it means they have been removed and may
not be legitimate.

I have seen the VINs cut out of one car and welded into another -
usually when "restoring" a rare car using a donor body or parts from a
donor. It is often also done to "re-vin" a stolen car with the VIN of
a wreck.
Old September 18th 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 04:58:41 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:48:16 +1000, Xeno
> wrote:
>

>>The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a typical
>>stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often hidden under a
>>carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped VIN on, say, a
>>chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it is on the chassis

>What's a Hilux!
>
>>rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must have a matching VIN.

>My 2000 Toyota has the VIN at the bottom of every side window. 4 of
>them. But the newer Toyota doesn't have that, though it does say
>Toyota in dim letters at the bottom of every side window. .

The glass etching was an "option" provided by several security
companies to make the vehicle less attrative to "chop shops" and car
thieves. Some dealers had every car they sold "etched"
Old September 18th 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 08:44:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/18/2017 12:48 AM, Xeno wrote:
>

>> The VIN can be on up to 3 places in the car. The plate is one, a typical
>> stamped in number on the vehicle chassis is another often hidden under a
>> carpet flap. On some vehicles there is a third stamped VIN on, say, a
>> chassis rail externally. On a Hilux, for instance, it is on the chassis
>> rail behind the front RHS wheel. All locations must have a matching VIN.
>>

>I counted 8 places on my car and there may be more.
>
>I do take minor issue with the term "must have matching VIN" If you
>know the car was in an accident and the door was replaced from a junk
>yard, the VIN on the door would be removed or not matched. It can still
>be a good deal on the car.

Correct - but if any one VIN does not match, you KNOW something out
of the ordinary has occurred - and if it is listed as "no accidents"
you can be pretty sure SOMEONE is lying.
Old September 18th 17, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 11:22:57 AM UTC-10, micky wrote:

> I had the right vin. It's the story that's false. Can't have
> everything.

It sounds like you really want that car. The next time you find a car you want, don't bother checking out the history.

Correct Transmission oil Stevoo Honda 7 June 12th 07 08:35 AM
TDC not correct 2000 bug VW water cooled 1 June 3rd 06 08:11 PM
Which newsgroup is correct? aokvw VW water cooled 3 December 24th 05 08:53 PM
I was correct Bryon Lape Simulators 2 May 6th 05 08:33 AM
Which is correct??? Spider Ford Mustang 14 December 7th 04 06:53 AM