Northstar/Honda generator questions

Old September 16th 17, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Northstar/Honda generator questions

I recently bought a Northstar 13000 PPG generator that is run by a Honda 20 hp engine. I believe it is about 20 years old and had been sitting idle for a number of years. It has battery operated starter but when I bought it the starter ignition assembly had been disassembled and was said to dead. I searched online and found an ignition assembly and a friend who is an avid motorcycle mechanic agreed to install it and get the motor running. Today when i picked it up he told me that the wiring on the new ignition didn't exactly match the original wiring. In addition, he was not able to get the key starter to turn the motor off. He suggested that I just need to shut the gas valve off and wait for the gas in the line to run out in order to shut the motor off. While the motor runs extremely well I am not happy with this "solution" to shut the motor off. There is an extra wire on the new ignition switch that he did not use and according to the picture diagram that came with the new switch assembly this wire is for the carburetor solenoid. Is it possible that the motor would start and then not be able to shut down without an active solenoid? Any suggestions as to how to figure this one out?
Old September 17th 17, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/09/2017 5:39 AM, wrote:

> I recently bought a Northstar 13000 PPG generator that is run by a Honda 20 hp engine. I believe it is about 20 years old and had been sitting idle for a number of years. It has battery operated starter but when I bought it the starter ignition assembly had been disassembled and was said to dead. I searched online and found an ignition assembly and a friend who is an avid motorcycle mechanic agreed to install it and get the motor running. Today when i picked it up he told me that the wiring on the new ignition didn't exactly match the original wiring. In addition, he was not able to get the key starter to turn the motor off. He suggested that I just need to shut the gas valve off and wait for the gas in the line to run out in order to shut the motor off. While the motor runs extremely well I am not happy with this "solution" to shut the motor off. There is an extra wire on the new ignition switch that he did not use and according to the picture diagram that came with the new switch assembly this wire is for the carburetor solenoid. Is it possible that the motor would start and then not be able to shut down without an active solenoid? Any suggestions as to how to figure this one out?

If I'm not mistaken, that solenoid is a *fuel cut off*. It should have
power whilst ever the engine is running. When the engine is turned off,
or even if the battery is disconnected, it should deactivate and stop
the engine.
The only access I have to a wiring diagram or schematics for that engine
are these and I don't know which is applicable to yours;

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...page=16#manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...page=17#manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...page=18#manual

If you have power to the solenoid, cut that power whilst the engine is
running by, say, disconnecting that solenoid. If that kills the engine
successfully, all you need to do is wire up a switch into the power lead
to that solenoid.

If there are two wires to the solenoid, one will be active, the other
the earth return. It would be advisable to wire up the switch to the
active side so there is no power *to* the solenoid.

You really need to look at the wiring diagrams to see how the circuits
work. From what I can see from the above linked manual, the ignition
circuit is automatically cut out when the engine stops. That means that
cutting the fuel will be all you need to do to stop the engine. Do check
however that ignition power is cut off when the engine ceases to run.

--

Xeno

newbie Honda CR-V questions limehand[_2_] Honda 12 March 8th 08 01:39 AM
Lucas c40 generator substitute (yes generator - ancient!) jj Technology 3 October 1st 06 04:07 PM
Honda Gasoline Generator (EPA) [email protected] Honda 0 October 24th 05 03:50 AM
O.T. honda generator FrankW Jeep 4 August 4th 05 10:57 PM
Honda Accord 92-135 K -3 Questions! SoCalMike Honda 1 September 22nd 04 03:44 AM