Rear disc brake pads change, 1996 Z28?

Old January 9th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Rear disc brake pads change, 1996 Z28?

Greetings,

I have a 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. This car has rear disc brakes.

Today I went to change the pads on the rear, and was a little surprised to see how different the configuration was from standard front disc brakes.

Any hints on changing these, maybe a link to an online procedure? I did quite a bit of research with good friend Google, and the best I could find was that a special tool might be needed to "screw down" the calipers (instead of the C-clamp method).

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Josh

Old January 9th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Josh Wyatt" > wrote in message news:4%iwf.9991
> Any hints on changing these, maybe a link to an online procedure? I did

quite a bit of research with good friend Google, and the best I could find
was that a special tool might be needed to "screw down" the calipers
(instead of the C-clamp method).

> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Yes, they are different. This is because the rear discs have a mechanical
component
which allows them to be used as parking brakes.

Don't consider trying to push them back into the bores with a C-clamp.

There is a special tool to screw them back in, but I have never had to use
it.

You might do well to spend a few bucks and get a manual for this car.

Old January 9th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote:

> "Josh Wyatt" > wrote in message news:4%iwf.9991
> > Any hints on changing these, maybe a link to an online procedure?
> > I did

> quite a bit of research with good friend Google, and the best I could
> find was that a special tool might be needed to "screw down" the
> calipers (instead of the C-clamp method).
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Josh

> Yes, they are different. This is because the rear discs have a
> mechanical component
> which allows them to be used as parking brakes.
>
> Don't consider trying to push them back into the bores with a C-clamp.
>
> There is a special tool to screw them back in, but I have never had
> to use it.
>
> You might do well to spend a few bucks and get a manual for this car.

I've worked on a few cars with rear disc brakes. In all those cases it
was possible (provided the piston was not seizing) to turn the piston
back in with a large flat-blade screwdriver or a pair of needle-nose
pliers.

I've also noticed that many auto parts emporia now sell a rear-disc
piston tool that attaches to your 3/8" ratchet. It is a cube of metal
with various styles of protrusions meant to engage pistons of several
types. The tool is less than $20.
Old January 10th 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default LT1 5.7L overhaul WAS Rear disc brake pads change, 1996 Z28?

Josh:

Had a buddy who bought a 1989 C4 a couple of Summers ago. When he
brought it by to show me, I remarked on the knock (rattle) in the
bottom end of the engine. I did a little research, and found out that
the dual-mass flywheel used on the 6 spd was the culprit. I found one
at Carolina Clutch (best price) and threw it in for him, voila!

Bush

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:52:37 -0500, Josh Wyatt >

Old January 10th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Kenny wrote:
> Josh:
>
> Had a buddy who bought a 1989 C4 a couple of Summers ago. When he
> brought it by to show me, I remarked on the knock (rattle) in the
> bottom end of the engine. I did a little research, and found out that
> the dual-mass flywheel used on the 6 spd was the culprit. I found one
> at Carolina Clutch (best price) and threw it in for him, voila!
>
> Bush

Good to know. Had the flywheel cracked or flung a bolt, causing it to be unbalanced? If it's the flywheel, what should I look for?
Thanks,
josh

Old May 26th 17, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tony[_20_]

replying to <HLS, Tony wrote:
I've always used a steering wheel puller and one of the old pads,works
everytime,Sometimes you have to take it apart and screw it back together
inside of caliper bracket for it to work.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/rear...z28-31525-.htm