A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Technology
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2006 Chevy 2500 problem

Old May 10th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 2006 Chevy 2500 problem

Three years ago at the state auction I bought a 2006 Chevy 3/4 ton van with a 4.8 engine.It was in real nice shape and at the time I didn't need it so it has been sitting outside in my yard. I realize this wasn't the best choice but I had no where else to put it. There are a couple of things that you should know about this van. First it was not started during the three years that it sat on my lawn. Next it presently has a full tank of 87 octane gas that I stupidly put in three years ago before I parked it. The battery of course was completely dead. I charged it at three amps for two days and quite surprisingly it came back up and cranked the engine. The truck started right up, another surprise.

The problem is when you first start, except for a very slight shake the engine seems to idle fine. if you goose it it seems to rev fine too. As soon as you shift it into drive though the RPM's slow way down, the shaking gets much worse, (the engine even stalls sometimes) the "engine" light blinks constantly and eventually stays on and when read it's a "random misfire" code set on the OBD..g. I took it out for a short run today. It seems OK on the flats but acceleration is "bumpy". It is missing and it really almost dies on the hills.

I've gotten all kinds of opinions as to what this could be. Of course the gas was one thought. But if it was the gas would it idle fine in neutral with no load initially? I've also heard plugs was another thought. But again if it was plugs same argument as the gas? Then there is Mass air flow sensor, vacuum leak fuel filter etc. I hate to think about shotgunning this problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be and what steps I might take to isolate it. Thanks very much for any help. Lenny
Ads
Old May 10th 17, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]
external usenet poster

wrote:
>
> Three years ago at the state auction I bought a 2006 Chevy 3/4 ton van with a 4.8
> engine.It was in real nice shape and at the time I didn't need it so it has been
> sitting outside in my yard. I realize this wasn't the best choice but I had no where
> else to put it. There are a couple of things that you should know about this van. First
> it was not started during the three years that it sat on my lawn. Next it presently has
> a full tank of 87 octane gas that I stupidly put in three years ago before I parked it.
> The battery of course was completely dead. I charged it at three amps for two days and
> quite surprisingly it came back up and cranked the engine. The truck started right up,
> another surprise.
>
> The problem is when you first start, except for a very slight shake the engine seems to
> idle fine. if you goose it it seems to rev fine too. As soon as you shift it into drive
> though the RPM's slow way down, the shaking gets much worse, (the engine even stalls
> sometimes) the "engine" light blinks constantly and eventually stays on and when read
> it's a "random misfire" code set on the OBD..g. I took it out for a short run today.
> It seems OK on the flats but acceleration is "bumpy". It is missing and it really
> almost dies on the hills.
>
> I've gotten all kinds of opinions as to what this could be. Of course the gas was one
> thought. But if it was the gas would it idle fine in neutral with no load initially?
> I've also heard plugs was another thought. But again if it was plugs same argument as
> the gas? Then there is Mass air flow sensor, vacuum leak fuel filter etc. I hate to
> think about shotgunning this problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might
> be and what steps I might take to isolate it. Thanks very much for any help. Lenny

Clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, clogged cat.

Old May 10th 17, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]
external usenet poster

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> wrote:
>> Three years ago at the state auction I bought a 2006 Chevy 3/4 ton van with a 4.8
>> engine.It was in real nice shape and at the time I didn't need it so it has been
>> sitting outside in my yard. I realize this wasn't the best choice but I had no where
>> else to put it. There are a couple of things that you should know about this van. First
>> it was not started during the three years that it sat on my lawn. Next it presently has
>> a full tank of 87 octane gas that I stupidly put in three years ago before I parked it.
>> The battery of course was completely dead. I charged it at three amps for two days and
>> quite surprisingly it came back up and cranked the engine. The truck started right up,
>> another surprise.
>>
>> The problem is when you first start, except for a very slight shake the engine seems to
>> idle fine. if you goose it it seems to rev fine too. As soon as you shift it into drive
>> though the RPM's slow way down, the shaking gets much worse, (the engine even stalls
>> sometimes) the "engine" light blinks constantly and eventually stays on and when read
>> it's a "random misfire" code set on the OBD..g. I took it out for a short run today.
>> It seems OK on the flats but acceleration is "bumpy". It is missing and it really
>> almost dies on the hills.
>>
>> I've gotten all kinds of opinions as to what this could be. Of course the gas was one
>> thought. But if it was the gas would it idle fine in neutral with no load initially?
>> I've also heard plugs was another thought. But again if it was plugs same argument as
>> the gas? Then there is Mass air flow sensor, vacuum leak fuel filter etc. I hate to
>> think about shotgunning this problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might
>> be and what steps I might take to isolate it. Thanks very much for any help. Lenny

>
> Clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, clogged cat.
>

Filter, pump and bad gas are all possible causes. I would bet on bad gas
and filter though. MAF isn't the issue.
The idle in neutral doesn't mean anything, that engine will idle just
fine when it isn't under load. Put it under load and it needs more fuel
but it's getting crap = no power.

Drain the tank, you can jumper the pump and use it to push the old fuel
out once you disconnect the fuel line. Replace the filter and fill with
clean fuel. Bet the problems go away.

--
Steve W.
Old May 10th 17, 07:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]
external usenet poster

On 05/09/2017 11:18 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Three years ago at the state auction I bought a 2006 Chevy 3/4 ton van with a 4.8
>>> engine.It was in real nice shape and at the time I didn't need it so it has been
>>> sitting outside in my yard. I realize this wasn't the best choice but I had no where
>>> else to put it. There are a couple of things that you should know about this van. First
>>> it was not started during the three years that it sat on my lawn. Next it presently has
>>> a full tank of 87 octane gas that I stupidly put in three years ago before I parked it.
>>> The battery of course was completely dead. I charged it at three amps for two days and
>>> quite surprisingly it came back up and cranked the engine. The truck started right up,
>>> another surprise.
>>>
>>> The problem is when you first start, except for a very slight shake the engine seems to
>>> idle fine. if you goose it it seems to rev fine too. As soon as you shift it into drive
>>> though the RPM's slow way down, the shaking gets much worse, (the engine even stalls
>>> sometimes) the "engine" light blinks constantly and eventually stays on and when read
>>> it's a "random misfire" code set on the OBD..g. I took it out for a short run today.
>>> It seems OK on the flats but acceleration is "bumpy". It is missing and it really
>>> almost dies on the hills.
>>>
>>> I've gotten all kinds of opinions as to what this could be. Of course the gas was one
>>> thought. But if it was the gas would it idle fine in neutral with no load initially?
>>> I've also heard plugs was another thought. But again if it was plugs same argument as
>>> the gas? Then there is Mass air flow sensor, vacuum leak fuel filter etc. I hate to
>>> think about shotgunning this problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might
>>> be and what steps I might take to isolate it. Thanks very much for any help. Lenny

>>
>> Clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, clogged cat.
>>

>
> Filter, pump and bad gas are all possible causes. I would bet on bad gas
> and filter though. MAF isn't the issue.
> The idle in neutral doesn't mean anything, that engine will idle just
> fine when it isn't under load. Put it under load and it needs more fuel
> but it's getting crap = no power.
>
> Drain the tank, you can jumper the pump and use it to push the old fuel
> out once you disconnect the fuel line. Replace the filter and fill with
> clean fuel. Bet the problems go away.

How about whatever modern cars use to vent the gas tank? Our 68 Dodge
van somehow got its hose kinked, which we discovered only after trying
everything else.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The federal government has taken too much tax money from the
people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty
with the Constitution." -- Ronald Reagan
Old May 10th 17, 10:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]
external usenet poster

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 05/09/2017 11:18 PM, Steve W. wrote:
>> Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>>> wrote:
>>>> Three years ago at the state auction I bought a 2006 Chevy 3/4 ton van with a 4.8
>>>> engine.It was in real nice shape and at the time I didn't need it so it has been
>>>> sitting outside in my yard. I realize this wasn't the best choice but I had no where
>>>> else to put it. There are a couple of things that you should know about this van. First
>>>> it was not started during the three years that it sat on my lawn. Next it presently has
>>>> a full tank of 87 octane gas that I stupidly put in three years ago before I parked it.
>>>> The battery of course was completely dead. I charged it at three amps for two days and
>>>> quite surprisingly it came back up and cranked the engine. The truck started right up,
>>>> another surprise.
>>>>
>>>> The problem is when you first start, except for a very slight shake the engine seems to
>>>> idle fine. if you goose it it seems to rev fine too. As soon as you shift it into drive
>>>> though the RPM's slow way down, the shaking gets much worse, (the engine even stalls
>>>> sometimes) the "engine" light blinks constantly and eventually stays on and when read
>>>> it's a "random misfire" code set on the OBD..g. I took it out for a short run today.
>>>> It seems OK on the flats but acceleration is "bumpy". It is missing and it really
>>>> almost dies on the hills.
>>>>
>>>> I've gotten all kinds of opinions as to what this could be. Of course the gas was one
>>>> thought. But if it was the gas would it idle fine in neutral with no load initially?
>>>> I've also heard plugs was another thought. But again if it was plugs same argument as
>>>> the gas? Then there is Mass air flow sensor, vacuum leak fuel filter etc. I hate to
>>>> think about shotgunning this problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might
>>>> be and what steps I might take to isolate it. Thanks very much for any help. Lenny
>>> Clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, clogged cat.
>>>

>> Filter, pump and bad gas are all possible causes. I would bet on bad gas
>> and filter though. MAF isn't the issue.
>> The idle in neutral doesn't mean anything, that engine will idle just
>> fine when it isn't under load. Put it under load and it needs more fuel
>> but it's getting crap = no power.
>>
>> Drain the tank, you can jumper the pump and use it to push the old fuel
>> out once you disconnect the fuel line. Replace the filter and fill with
>> clean fuel. Bet the problems go away.

>
> How about whatever modern cars use to vent the gas tank? Our 68 Dodge
> van somehow got its hose kinked, which we discovered only after trying
> everything else.
>
>

The EVAP system on this one won't cause misfires unless the purge
solenoid has stuck open causing a vacuum leak. But the symptoms don't
match that problem.

--
Steve W.
Old May 10th 17, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932
external usenet poster

I would give the engine compartment a real good visual inspection.
I have a lot of issues with varmints eating spark plug wires and vacuum hoses.
Old May 10th 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 7:28:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Three years ago at the state auction I bought a 2006 Chevy 3/4 ton van with a 4.8 engine.It was in real nice shape and at the time I didn't need it so it has been sitting outside in my yard. I realize this wasn't the best choice but I had no where else to put it. There are a couple of things that you should know about this van. First it was not started during the three years that it sat on my lawn. Next it presently has a full tank of 87 octane gas that I stupidly put in three years ago before I parked it. The battery of course was completely dead. I charged it at three amps for two days and quite surprisingly it came back up and cranked the engine. The truck started right up, another surprise.
>
> The problem is when you first start, except for a very slight shake the engine seems to idle fine. if you goose it it seems to rev fine too. As soon as you shift it into drive though the RPM's slow way down, the shaking gets much worse, (the engine even stalls sometimes) the "engine" light blinks constantly and eventually stays on and when read it's a "random misfire" code set on the OBD..g. I took it out for a short run today. It seems OK on the flats but acceleration is "bumpy". It is missing and it really almost dies on the hills.
>
> I've gotten all kinds of opinions as to what this could be. Of course the gas was one thought. But if it was the gas would it idle fine in neutral with no load initially? I've also heard plugs was another thought. But again if it was plugs same argument as the gas? Then there is Mass air flow sensor, vacuum leak fuel filter etc. I hate to think about shotgunning this problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be and what steps I might take to isolate it. Thanks very much for any help. Lenny

Well I'm certainly no expert on this but another unrelated,(perhaps) problem, the mice did build something big in the vent system because the fan rumbles but little air gets blown into the truck. So I'll have to pull the vent apart and check that out. But as far as the chewed spark plug wire theory goes I'm thinking that if it was chewed spark plug wires it would miss on idle too. Am I incorrect on that assumption? Thanks everyone for your help. Lenny