A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Technology
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

spoked wheels obsoletion

Old July 2nd 13, 09:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension Works
external usenet poster

Default spoked wheels obsoletion

On 5/31/13 3:12 AM, KBH wrote:
> Wire wheels are heavy and not very strong. Well, I suppose the rim is thick and heavy to make up for the spokes.
>
> The first replacement (in motorsports) of wire wheels were three-piece wheels with a bolt-in machined center. Take a look at the BBS RS-GT, that's a bolt-in forged center to a one-piece forged rim. Then look at the BBS RGR and that's a one-piece forged wheel and nothing bolts in. Most current three-piece wheels have the two rim pieces welded and don't require sealing. Take a look at SSR 3-piece wheels. Take a look at OZ wheels for the Corvette at TR.
>
> Now spun rims are rims machined from barrel stock and in two pieces. Then the center piece bolts everything together but requires sealing. That's the classic three-piece wheel.
>
> Forged wheels are denser than cast wheels but has less impurities. So forged wheels are magically both stonger and lighter than cast wheels. Take a look at the Volk CE28N and the Volk TE37.
>
> But cast wheels, forged wheels, and spun wheels can all be alloy wheels and that means aluminum when the subject is wheels.
>
> Light weight of wheels is important because a lighter wheel is less force coming off the road over a bump. Less unsprung weight produces both a better ride and increased traction
> .
>

I wonder if there were any efforts to bolt the aluminum rims to the
steer centerpiece.

(Is my assumption that aluminum wheels typically fracture at the spokes
correct or you've seen some failures of the rims themselves?
)
Ads
Old July 2nd 13, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:19:17 AM UTC-5, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension Works wrote:
> On 5/31/13 3:12 AM, KBH wrote:
>
> > Wire wheels are heavy and not very strong. Well, I suppose the rim is thick and heavy to make up for the spokes.

>
> >

>
> > The first replacement (in motorsports) of wire wheels were three-piece wheels with a bolt-in machined center. Take a look at the BBS RS-GT, that's a bolt-in forged center to a one-piece forged rim. Then look at the BBS RGR and that's a one-piece forged wheel and nothing bolts in. Most current three-piece wheels have the two rim pieces welded and don't require sealing. Take a look at SSR 3-piece wheels. Take a look at OZ wheels for the Corvette at TR.

>
> >

>
> > Now spun rims are rims machined from barrel stock and in two pieces. Then the center piece bolts everything together but requires sealing. That's the classic three-piece wheel.

>
> >

>
> > Forged wheels are denser than cast wheels but has less impurities. So forged wheels are magically both stonger and lighter than cast wheels. Take a look at the Volk CE28N and the Volk TE37.

>
> >

>
> > But cast wheels, forged wheels, and spun wheels can all be alloy wheels and that means aluminum when the subject is wheels.

>
> >

>
> > Light weight of wheels is important because a lighter wheel is less force coming off the road over a bump. Less unsprung weight produces both a better ride and increased traction

>
> > .

>
> >

>
>
>
> I wonder if there were any efforts to bolt the aluminum rims to the
>
> steer centerpiece.
>
>
>
> (Is my assumption that aluminum wheels typically fracture at the spokes
>
> correct or you've seen some failures of the rims themselves?
>
> )

There are, or used to be available hub caps that look like spoke wheels. Did you ever get a pebble in a hub cap?
Old July 4th 13, 08:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension Works
external usenet poster

On 7/2/13 4:43 PM, JR wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:19:17 AM UTC-5, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension Works wrote:
>> On 5/31/13 3:12 AM, KBH wrote:
>>
>>> Wire wheels are heavy and not very strong. Well, I suppose the rim is thick and heavy to make up for the spokes.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> The first replacement (in motorsports) of wire wheels were three-piece wheels with a bolt-in machined center. Take a look at the BBS RS-GT, that's a bolt-in forged center to a one-piece forged rim. Then look at the BBS RGR and that's a one-piece forged wheel and nothing bolts in. Most current three-piece wheels have the two rim pieces welded and don't require sealing. Take a look at SSR 3-piece wheels. Take a look at OZ wheels for the Corvette at TR.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Now spun rims are rims machined from barrel stock and in two pieces. Then the center piece bolts everything together but requires sealing. That's the classic three-piece wheel.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Forged wheels are denser than cast wheels but has less impurities. So forged wheels are magically both stonger and lighter than cast wheels. Take a look at the Volk CE28N and the Volk TE37.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> But cast wheels, forged wheels, and spun wheels can all be alloy wheels and that means aluminum when the subject is wheels.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Light weight of wheels is important because a lighter wheel is less force coming off the road over a bump. Less unsprung weight produces both a better ride and increased traction

>>
>>> .

>>
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> I wonder if there were any efforts to bolt the aluminum rims to the
>>
>> steer centerpiece.
>>
>>
>>
>> (Is my assumption that aluminum wheels typically fracture at the spokes
>>
>> correct or you've seen some failures of the rims themselves?
>>
>> )

>
> There are, or used to be available hub caps that look like spoke wheels. Did you ever get a pebble in a hub cap?
>

Not ever, I have retained 3 out of 4 plastic hub covers for the only set
of alloys I run now. No pebbles are allowed to enter

why?

Old July 4th 13, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:46:04 AM UTC-5, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension Works wrote:
> On 7/2/13 4:43 PM, JR wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:19:17 AM UTC-5, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension Works wrote:

>
> >> On 5/31/13 3:12 AM, KBH wrote:

>
> >>

>
> >>> Wire wheels are heavy and not very strong. Well, I suppose the rim is thick and heavy to make up for the spokes.

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>> The first replacement (in motorsports) of wire wheels were three-piece wheels with a bolt-in machined center. Take a look at the BBS RS-GT, that's a bolt-in forged center to a one-piece forged rim. Then look at the BBS RGR and that's a one-piece forged wheel and nothing bolts in. Most current three-piece wheels have the two rim pieces welded and don't require sealing.. Take a look at SSR 3-piece wheels. Take a look at OZ wheels for the Corvette at TR.

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>> Now spun rims are rims machined from barrel stock and in two pieces. Then the center piece bolts everything together but requires sealing. That's the classic three-piece wheel.

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>> Forged wheels are denser than cast wheels but has less impurities. So forged wheels are magically both stonger and lighter than cast wheels. Take a look at the Volk CE28N and the Volk TE37.

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>> But cast wheels, forged wheels, and spun wheels can all be alloy wheels and that means aluminum when the subject is wheels.

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>> Light weight of wheels is important because a lighter wheel is less force coming off the road over a bump. Less unsprung weight produces both a better ride and increased traction

>
> >>

>
> >>> .

>
> >>

>
> >>>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >> I wonder if there were any efforts to bolt the aluminum rims to the

>
> >>

>
> >> steer centerpiece.

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >>

>
> >> (Is my assumption that aluminum wheels typically fracture at the spokes

>
> >>

>
> >> correct or you've seen some failures of the rims themselves?

>
> >>

>
> >> )

>
> >

>
> > There are, or used to be available hub caps that look like spoke wheels.. Did you ever get a pebble in a hub cap?

>
> >

>
> Not ever, I have retained 3 out of 4 plastic hub covers for the only set
>
> of alloys I run now. No pebbles are allowed to enter
>
>
>
> why?

Older vehicles with hub caps. Some hub caps, there was enough of a gap for a pebble to slip in there and be rattlin around. It has happened to me a few times before.