Racing Beat Power Pulse cat-back

Old May 22nd 12, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

Default Racing Beat Power Pulse cat-back

What do you guys think of it?

I'm planning on a whole bunch of upgrades including:

Flyin Miata AFCOs with V8Roadster control arms, FM anti-roll bars and
their butterfly brace.

Because I've got this upcoming trip down to California with the GF.

:-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old May 23rd 12, 09:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 5/22/2012 2:58 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> What do you guys think of it?
>
> I'm planning on a whole bunch of upgrades including:
>
> Flyin Miata AFCOs with V8Roadster control arms, FM anti-roll bars and
> their butterfly brace.
>
> Because I've got this upcoming trip down to California with the GF.
>
> :-)

It's gonna be a fast trip?
Anyway, I hope the roads are smooth!
Old May 23rd 12, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
charlie > wrote:

> On 5/22/2012 2:58 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> > What do you guys think of it?
> >
> > I'm planning on a whole bunch of upgrades including:
> >
> > Flyin Miata AFCOs with V8Roadster control arms, FM anti-roll bars and
> > their butterfly brace.
> >
> > Because I've got this upcoming trip down to California with the GF.
> >
> > :-)
> >

> It's gonna be a fast trip?

Well... ...that depends on your definition, I guess. I'm headed down
there to take the Skip Barber open wheel course at Laguna Seca.

> Anyway, I hope the roads are smooth!

Why? Do you think the car will be unacceptably harsh riding?

Old May 23rd 12, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Alan Baker > wrote:

> In article >,

>> Anyway, I hope the roads are smooth!

> Why? Do you think the car will be unacceptably harsh riding?

It IS a Miata isn't it? <G>

More than suspension mods you'll need a stack of credit cards because
of this:

"with the GF"

Those things can be VERY costly (but sometimes worth every penny!)

Have a great trip, watch out for idiots, drunks and cops.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old June 16th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:03:12 -0700, XS11E wrote:
> Alan Baker > wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>>> Anyway, I hope the roads are smooth!

>> Why? Do you think the car will be unacceptably harsh riding?

> It IS a Miata isn't it? <G>
>
> More than suspension mods you'll need a stack of credit cards because
> of this:
>
> "with the GF"
>
> Those things can be VERY costly (but sometimes worth every penny!)
>
> Have a great trip, watch out for idiots, drunks and cops.

I know this is an ancient post, but I just ordered a set of these:
http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bil...alve_NA_NB.htm

I filled out the questionnaire on the website and the next day I got a
call from Shaikh. What kind of driving do you do? Where are you on the
ride vs handling spectrum? He ended up suggesting something between the
GT and sport package.

I'm really looking forward to getting them. So the caveat is there is a
4-6 week lead time on orders. He was upfront about it, so I knew that
going in. Small company, custom work, etc.

FCM has gotten good reviews on mazda-speed.com but I haven't read any
comparison reviews with other shocks such as the AFCOs. They're in
pretty much the same ballpark price-wise.
Old June 16th 12, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Carbon > wrote:

> I know this is an ancient post, but I just ordered a set of these:
> http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bil...valve_NA_NB.ht

> FCM has gotten good reviews on mazda-speed.com but I haven't read
> any comparison reviews with other shocks such as the AFCOs.
> They're in pretty much the same ballpark price-wise.

That ballpark is WAAAAAY out of my league, what do they have for
$19.95? <G>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old June 19th 12, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article > ,
Carbon > wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:03:12 -0700, XS11E wrote:
> > Alan Baker > wrote:
> >> In article >,

> >> Why? Do you think the car will be unacceptably harsh riding?

> > It IS a Miata isn't it? <G>
> >
> > More than suspension mods you'll need a stack of credit cards because
> > of this:
> >
> > "with the GF"
> >
> > Those things can be VERY costly (but sometimes worth every penny!)
> >
> > Have a great trip, watch out for idiots, drunks and cops.

> I know this is an ancient post, but I just ordered a set of these:
> http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bil...alve_NA_NB.htm
>
> I filled out the questionnaire on the website and the next day I got a
> call from Shaikh. What kind of driving do you do? Where are you on the
> ride vs handling spectrum? He ended up suggesting something between the
> GT and sport package.
>
> I'm really looking forward to getting them. So the caveat is there is a
> 4-6 week lead time on orders. He was upfront about it, so I knew that
> going in. Small company, custom work, etc.
>
> FCM has gotten good reviews on mazda-speed.com but I haven't read any
> comparison reviews with other shocks such as the AFCOs. They're in
> pretty much the same ballpark price-wise.

In the end, I went with the AFCOs from Flyin' Miata and I'm just
starting to learn about them.

Old June 20th 12, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:58:32 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article > , Carbon
> > wrote:
>
>> I know this is an ancient post, but I just ordered a set of these:
>> http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bil...alve_NA_NB.htm
>>
>> I filled out the questionnaire on the website and the next day I got
>> a call from Shaikh. What kind of driving do you do? Where are you on
>> the ride vs handling spectrum? He ended up suggesting something
>> between the GT and sport package.
>>
>> I'm really looking forward to getting them. So the caveat is there is
>> a 4-6 week lead time on orders. He was upfront about it, so I knew
>> that going in. Small company, custom work, etc.
>>
>> FCM has gotten good reviews on mazda-speed.com but I haven't read any
>> comparison reviews with other shocks such as the AFCOs. They're in
>> pretty much the same ballpark price-wise.

> In the end, I went with the AFCOs from Flyin' Miata and I'm just
> starting to learn about them.

I'm sure they're excellent as well. Anything that can survive Targa
Newfoundland and a v8 Miata has to be tough. I like the Flyin Miata
folks. I've been in contact with them and I'm probably going to order
their Little Enchilada package for my MSM. I'll also be getting a 3.63
gearset and ECU reflash and then I'll call it a day. At least until that
blows over with the wifely unit and I'll getting some nickel 15x8 ULs
and TBD tires. And then I'll probably call it a day...

I'm just wondering, have you done anything as far as stiffening is
concerned? Because I've read that the FM butterfly brace
http://goo.gl/H1gCM does wonders in an NA.

How was driving school?
Old June 20th 12, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article > ,
Carbon > wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:58:32 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article > , Carbon
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I know this is an ancient post, but I just ordered a set of these:
> >> http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bil...alve_NA_NB.htm
> >>
> >> I filled out the questionnaire on the website and the next day I got
> >> a call from Shaikh. What kind of driving do you do? Where are you on
> >> the ride vs handling spectrum? He ended up suggesting something
> >> between the GT and sport package.
> >>
> >> I'm really looking forward to getting them. So the caveat is there is
> >> a 4-6 week lead time on orders. He was upfront about it, so I knew
> >> that going in. Small company, custom work, etc.
> >>
> >> FCM has gotten good reviews on mazda-speed.com but I haven't read any
> >> comparison reviews with other shocks such as the AFCOs. They're in
> >> pretty much the same ballpark price-wise.

> > In the end, I went with the AFCOs from Flyin' Miata and I'm just
> > starting to learn about them.

> I'm sure they're excellent as well. Anything that can survive Targa
> Newfoundland and a v8 Miata has to be tough. I like the Flyin Miata
> folks. I've been in contact with them and I'm probably going to order
> their Little Enchilada package for my MSM. I'll also be getting a 3.63
> gearset and ECU reflash and then I'll call it a day. At least until that
> blows over with the wifely unit and I'll getting some nickel 15x8 ULs
> and TBD tires. And then I'll probably call it a day...
>
> I'm just wondering, have you done anything as far as stiffening is
> concerned? Because I've read that the FM butterfly brace
> http://goo.gl/H1gCM does wonders in an NA.

In addition to the AFCOs, I added the FM butterfly brace, the Cannon
rear sub-frame brace and a Racing Beat front brace.

The car feels like it is one piece now, and ready to take any power
upgrades I throw at it.

> How was driving school?

Awesome.

I have to say, the folks at Skip Barber have their curriculum very well
designed so that by the third day, I was pretty comfortable driving a
kind of car I'd never before encountered--one with much faster
reactions, both good and bad--at over 100mph.

I think there was only one guy in the school who was faster than I was
and he had a lot of previous experience including previous Skip Barber
schools and lapping sessions.

They were offering a deal where $200 down would secure you a spot for 18
months at 20% off the regular price, so I'm going again.

:-)