Flashing dash LED on '98 GTV 2.0TS

Old June 29th 11, 06:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
IanE

Default Flashing dash LED on '98 GTV 2.0TS

I have a 1998 GTV 2.0TS which has been pretty reliable since I got
it.

One thing that has confused me and I've not got to grips with is that
there is an LED on the dash which flashes permanently, whether the
ignition is on or off. This hasn't been a problem but I haven't used
the car for a few weeks and the battery is very low. When I jump
started it the indicator lights on the dash were flashing as if the
hazard warning lights were on (which they weren't).

I tried charging the battery in the vehicle and after 10 hours on an
electronically controllled charger it was still drawing 3 Amps. I
unplugged it overnight and it wouldn't turn over this morning. I
checked the battery and it only showed 11.1V with no load.

I have taken the battery off the car and am charging it again now - it
initally was taking 6A but it's dropped down to 3A. I'll check the
voltage presently, but a couple of questions.

1. Why is the LED flashing all the time? Should it not go off with the
ignition on? Can I do anything about this?

2. Has anyone seen this behaviour of the indicator telltales flashing
when the car is running with a weak battery?

3. Is there any common cause for an electrical drain I can check for?

TIA!

IanE

Old June 30th 11, 04:56 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 29/06/2011 18:30, IanE wrote:
> I have a 1998 GTV 2.0TS which has been pretty reliable since I got
> it.
>
> One thing that has confused me and I've not got to grips with is that
> there is an LED on the dash which flashes permanently, whether the
> ignition is on or off. This hasn't been a problem but I haven't used
> the car for a few weeks and the battery is very low. When I jump
> started it the indicator lights on the dash were flashing as if the
> hazard warning lights were on (which they weren't).

That's the giveaway. It thinks the battery has been disconnected, so has
triggered.

> I tried charging the battery in the vehicle and after 10 hours on an
> electronically controllled charger it was still drawing 3 Amps. I
> unplugged it overnight and it wouldn't turn over this morning. I
> checked the battery and it only showed 11.1V with no load.
>
> I have taken the battery off the car and am charging it again now - it
> initally was taking 6A but it's dropped down to 3A. I'll check the
> voltage presently, but a couple of questions.
>
> 1. Why is the LED flashing all the time? Should it not go off with the
> ignition on? Can I do anything about this?

Not unless you can find the alarm fob. It's an alarm

> 2. Has anyone seen this behaviour of the indicator telltales flashing
> when the car is running with a weak battery?

Yes. Precisely this, with the POS aftermarket alarm that was fitted to
SWMBO's GTV

> 3. Is there any common cause for an electrical drain I can check for?

See above

You're quite possibly a bit stuffed. If you don't have the fob, I'd hie
to your nearest auto-electrician / independant and have them tear it out.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 147 TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 1st 11, 11:52 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Andy

Do you have the cylindrical key that is required to disarm the factory
fitted
alarm? There is a little lift out cover on the offside wing if I remember
correctly.

Andy (ex GTV TS owner)

--
Andy Wilson