Got 'em!

Old May 27th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

Default Got 'em!

On 26.5.2011. 21:03, Alan Baker wrote:

> I'm interested in both form AND function with function being the more
> important.

dunno, older I get, more form I want

anywhooo. busted 2 tires few days back, so I can go shopping now.
thinking to go wide. 6.5" is standard width(I guess for 195/50/15s),but
I'd like something wider, 7.5 or 8. I'll use current wheels for winter
setup...
Old May 28th 11, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
Domagoj Bagaric > wrote:

> On 26.5.2011. 21:03, Alan Baker wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in both form AND function with function being the more
> > important.

> dunno, older I get, more form I want
>
> anywhooo. busted 2 tires few days back, so I can go shopping now.
> thinking to go wide. 6.5" is standard width(I guess for 195/50/15s),but
> I'd like something wider, 7.5 or 8. I'll use current wheels for winter
> setup...

Well from my own experience I can now tell you that 7.5 is definitely
not too wide for 195/50-15s. It may vary depending on the actual
dimensions of different tires, but my Toyo T1Rs look like they were made
to be on 7.5" rims.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old May 31st 11, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

">
> At $149 a piece-the same price as for every other finish in that size,
> I'm don't think that it's actual nickel plating.
>
> But I wasn't expecting it to be.
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Alan Baker
> Vancouver, British Columbia
> <http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg>

I think he's just meaning that that nickel finish color may not show brake
dust as quickly as the aluminum finish. I have to agree that the nickel
finish looks incredible. Nice choice.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 31st 11, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> ">
> > At $149 a piece-the same price as for every other finish in that size,
> > I'm don't think that it's actual nickel plating.
> >
> > But I wasn't expecting it to be.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > --
> > Alan Baker
> > Vancouver, British Columbia
> > <http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg>

> I think he's just meaning that that nickel finish color may not show brake
> dust as quickly as the aluminum finish. I have to agree that the nickel
> finish looks incredible. Nice choice.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Thanks.

The whole thing has got me enthused about my car again. I was actually
out there cleaning all the plastic, rubber and the top this evening.

And I'm also really looking forward to doing a suspension refresh. If
you can believe it, the car is running on the original shocks, springs
and dustboot/bumpstops.

Old June 5th 11, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:16:02 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article >, "Chris D'Agnolo"
> > wrote:
>
>> I think he's just meaning that that nickel finish color may not show
>> brake dust as quickly as the aluminum finish. I have to agree that
>> the nickel finish looks incredible. Nice choice.

> Thanks.
>
> The whole thing has got me enthused about my car again. I was actually
> out there cleaning all the plastic, rubber and the top this evening.
>
> And I'm also really looking forward to doing a suspension refresh. If
> you can believe it, the car is running on the original shocks, springs
> and dustboot/bumpstops.

As an obsessive reader of the FM webpage, I suggest the following for a
keeper NA:

1990-97 NB (to update early cars with the later suspension) FM V-Maxx
coil overs http://goo.gl/kUfvB - $695 US

FM butterfly brace http://goo.gl/H1gCM - $399 US

Flyin` Miata sway bars http://goo.gl/GorQm - $199 US

Not exactly an inconsequential amount of money, but they would transform
your car.

I'm about to pop for the little enchilada. I've been trying to resist,
but...
Old June 5th 11, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article > ,
Carbon > wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:16:02 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article >, "Chris D'Agnolo"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I think he's just meaning that that nickel finish color may not show
> >> brake dust as quickly as the aluminum finish. I have to agree that
> >> the nickel finish looks incredible. Nice choice.

> > Thanks.
> >
> > The whole thing has got me enthused about my car again. I was actually
> > out there cleaning all the plastic, rubber and the top this evening.
> >
> > And I'm also really looking forward to doing a suspension refresh. If
> > you can believe it, the car is running on the original shocks, springs
> > and dustboot/bumpstops.

> As an obsessive reader of the FM webpage, I suggest the following for a
> keeper NA:
>
> 1990-97 NB (to update early cars with the later suspension) FM V-Maxx
> coil overs http://goo.gl/kUfvB - $695 US

Seen those, but my plan is to go much higher in quality. My plan for
this car is "do it once, do it right".

So the FM coilovers I'm look at are the AFCOs.

> FM butterfly brace http://goo.gl/H1gCM - $399 US

Yup. That's definitely on the list.

> Flyin` Miata sway bars http://goo.gl/GorQm - $199 US

New bars are also on the list...

....as are all new suspension bushings (as well as diff, etc.)...

....maybe even all new V8Roadster tubular control arms.

:-)

> Not exactly an inconsequential amount of money, but they would transform
> your car.

Frankly, money isn't much of an issue when it comes to this. Even if I
do it all up high-end, I'm probably going to spend less than $10K on the
whole thing, and that will bring my capital cost of ownership to only
about $30K for 25-30 years of ownership. That is far less than most
people spend on cars.

Old June 5th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 23:05:16 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article > , Carbon
> > wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:16:02 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> The whole thing has got me enthused about my car again. I was
>>> actually out there cleaning all the plastic, rubber and the top this
>>> evening.
>>>
>>> And I'm also really looking forward to doing a suspension refresh.
>>> If you can believe it, the car is running on the original shocks,
>>> springs and dustboot/bumpstops.

>> As an obsessive reader of the FM webpage, I suggest the following for
>> a keeper NA:
>>
>> 1990-97 NB (to update early cars with the later suspension) FM V-Maxx
>> coil overs http://goo.gl/kUfvB - $695 US

> Seen those, but my plan is to go much higher in quality. My plan for
> this car is "do it once, do it right".
>
> So the FM coilovers I'm look at are the AFCOs.
>

>> FM butterfly brace http://goo.gl/H1gCM - $399 US

> Yup. That's definitely on the list.
>
>> Flyin` Miata sway bars http://goo.gl/GorQm - $199 US

> New bars are also on the list...
>
> ...as are all new suspension bushings (as well as diff, etc.)...
>
> ...maybe even all new V8Roadster tubular control arms.
>
> :-)
>
>> Not exactly an inconsequential amount of money, but they would
>> transform your car.

> Frankly, money isn't much of an issue when it comes to this. Even if I
> do it all up high-end, I'm probably going to spend less than $10K on
> the whole thing, and that will bring my capital cost of ownership to
> only about $30K for 25-30 years of ownership. That is far less than
> most people spend on cars.

You know, if you do get the new control arms I have an idea about a
power upgrade...
Old June 5th 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article > ,
Carbon > wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 23:05:16 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article > , Carbon
> > > wrote:

> >> As an obsessive reader of the FM webpage, I suggest the following for
> >> a keeper NA:
> >>
> >> 1990-97 NB (to update early cars with the later suspension) FM V-Maxx
> >> coil overs http://goo.gl/kUfvB - $695 US

> > Seen those, but my plan is to go much higher in quality. My plan for
> > this car is "do it once, do it right".
> >
> > So the FM coilovers I'm look at are the AFCOs.
> >

> >> FM butterfly brace http://goo.gl/H1gCM - $399 US

> > Yup. That's definitely on the list.
> >
> >> Flyin` Miata sway bars http://goo.gl/GorQm - $199 US

> > New bars are also on the list...
> >
> > ...as are all new suspension bushings (as well as diff, etc.)...
> >
> > ...maybe even all new V8Roadster tubular control arms.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> >> Not exactly an inconsequential amount of money, but they would
> >> transform your car.

> > Frankly, money isn't much of an issue when it comes to this. Even if I
> > do it all up high-end, I'm probably going to spend less than $10K on
> > the whole thing, and that will bring my capital cost of ownership to
> > only about $30K for 25-30 years of ownership. That is far less than
> > most people spend on cars.

> You know, if you do get the new control arms I have an idea about a
> power upgrade...

So do I... ...and so does my good friend Terry...

....the master machinist hotrod/dragster engine builder..

:-D

Old June 15th 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Alan Baker" <>>
>> You know, if you do get the new control arms I have an idea about a
>> power upgrade...

> So do I... ...and so does my good friend Terry...
>
> ...the master machinist hotrod/dragster engine builder..
>
> :-D
>
> --
> Alan Baker
> Vancouver, British Columbia
> <http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg>

It's getting SERIOUS around here ;-) Too much fun Allen! Go for it!
Chris
99BBB

Old June 15th 11, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <>>
> >> You know, if you do get the new control arms I have an idea about a
> >> power upgrade...

> > So do I... ...and so does my good friend Terry...
> >
> > ...the master machinist hotrod/dragster engine builder..
> >
> > :-D
> >
> > --
> > Alan Baker
> > Vancouver, British Columbia
> > <http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg>

> It's getting SERIOUS around here ;-) Too much fun Allen! Go for it!
> Chris
> 99BBB

Well it won't be happening soon if it happens, and if/when it happens,
I'd love to find something more unique to do than just a straight LS3
kit... ...but I don't know what that might be yet.