air bag light 1990 Miata

Old January 17th 11, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mac[_2_]

Default air bag light 1990 Miata

had the air bag light come on multiple times on the way home tonight.
on off on off. also the wipers were acting sort of flaky at the same
time. any ideas?? 1990 Miata.

Old January 18th 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Brian Minto

Disconnect the battery and fully charge it. The number of flashes does
reveal a coded fault message but it usually stems from low battery rather
than actually faulty airbag.

Brian Minto

Old January 20th 11, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mac[_2_]

Battery is only a year old. another thing that happened, would not
turn over tonight and appears to be the igition switch. figure maybe
it was not making contact and the air bag ckt was reseting.
thanks.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:39:46 -0700, "Brian Minto" >
wrote:

>Disconnect the battery and fully charge it. The number of flashes does
>reveal a coded fault message but it usually stems from low battery rather
>than actually faulty airbag.
>
>Brian Minto

.. .

Old January 20th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 1/19/2011 7:35 PM, Mac wrote:
> Battery is only a year old. another thing that happened, would not
> turn over tonight and appears to be the igition switch. figure maybe
> it was not making contact and the air bag ckt was reseting.
> thanks.
>

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:39:46 -0700, "Brian >
> wrote:
>
>> Disconnect the battery and fully charge it. The number of flashes does
>> reveal a coded fault message but it usually stems from low battery rather
>> than actually faulty airbag.
>>
>> Brian Minto
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> had the air bag light come on multiple times on the way home tonight.
>> on off on off. also the wipers were acting sort of flaky at the same
>> time. any ideas?? 1990 Miata.

from reading many posting at miata.net, my understanding is that a
blinking air bag light can be due to a faulty ignition switch. the
solution suggested over there is to exercise the ignition switch with
the key by moving it back and forth several times. that might be all it
needs to clean out some dirt clogging a contact. but a bad ignition
switch is also a pretty common issue for those that used heavy key
chains in the miata. there are also issues with the capacitors in the
air bag control module that means replacing the module (unless you have
some well honed soldering skills and want to get inside the module
itself), and there is some talk about failed fuses inside of the air bag
module itself that is not user replaceable.

but enough hearsay... this is what rod's manual says:

"Turn the ignition swith to ON and observe the airbag warning light in
the instrument panel.

Airbag Warning Light Does Not Illuminate

Check the METER and the ENGINE fuses in Fuse Block 1 (depending on the
market they will be rated at 10 or 15 amps). Replace any burned fuses
with new fuses of the correct rating. If the new fuses blow, check the
appropiate wiring harness for damage, open or short circuits and oir
connections.

Airbag Warning Light Stays On

This indicates a problem with the SAS unit or its wiring harness
connector. Check the connection; If the fault remains, consult your
Mazda dealer as quickly as possible.

Airbag Warning Light Flashes

A sequence of 3 short flashes repeating: code 3. This code indicates a
problem with the battery (low voltage), faulty wiring between battery,
ENGINE fuse and SAS unit or/and faulty wiring between battery, METER
fuse and SAS unit. Check wiring and connectors. If the fault remains,
consult your Mazda dealer as quickly as possible.

A sequence of 6 short flashes repeating: code 6. This code indicates a
fault in the clockspring or/and a fault in the wiring between the
clockspring and the SAS unit. Check that the clockspring is correctly
adjusted and that all relevant connectors are securely connected. If
the fault remains, consult your Mazda dealer as quickly as possible.

A sequence of 7 short flashes repeating: code 7. Indicates a fault in
the wiring between the SAS unit and the passenger side air bag. Check
that all relevant connectors are securely connected. If the fault
remains, consult your Mazda dealer as quickly as possible.

Warning! Airbag system fault are reported one at a time in order of
priority, If you repair a fault, always check that the warning light
then indicates that all is well with the system: there may be more than
one problem. If the fault remains, consult your Mazda dealer as quickly
as possible."

Old January 21st 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mac[_2_]

Thanks for all the information. I am going to try the ignition switch
cleaing that is on the Miata site.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:29:24 -0500, Christopher Muto

Old January 26th 11, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mac[_2_]

Cleaning the switch seems to have taken care of the issue. has turned
over and started up every time since and no issue with the air bag
light or the wipers. thanks for all the information.

Old January 27th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Mac wrote:
> Cleaning the switch seems to have taken care of the issue. has
> turned
> over and started up every time since and no issue with the air bag
> light or the wipers. thanks for all the information.

Glad to hear that it was an inexpensive fix! Too often, those type of
repairs cost lots of MSUs (Miata Spending Units).

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Miata 1992 Blinking Air Bag Light [email protected] Mazda 2 April 21st 06 03:54 AM
Air bag light cama Alfa Romeo 12 March 13th 06 11:37 PM
air bag light on steviev VW water cooled 7 November 9th 05 03:53 PM
air bag light meirman Chrysler 8 May 3rd 05 12:56 AM
air bag light on dadonc Audi 1 March 19th 05 02:54 PM