MSM and cooling

Old August 14th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

Default MSM and cooling

So today it was about 104 degrees out and I was taking a little trip
in the '04 MSM. Everything was in the green, until I got off the
freeway after an 80mph or so sprint with traffic. I get stopped at the
light at the end of the ramp, get the green, and start to pull around
the corner...I look down, and the temp gauge is higher than it usually
is(!)

Normally, the temp gauge rides right about vertical on this miata. In
this instance, which happens to be the only time I've ever seen it
deviate from that spot, the edge of the needle cleared the 'barbs' on
the thermometer icon on the gauge.

So I got up to 45mph or so and shut the AC off, and within 10 seconds
the gauge went back down to where it normally sits, and it stayed
there the rest of the way home. I turned the AC back on after a minute
or so and saw no difference.

Coolant level is full, no leaks. Engine was running fine the whole
time. It was a bit unnerving though. When I changed the coolant a few
months ago I cut the coolant 50/50 with distilled water, and now I'm
thinking I should maybe run it a little leaner than that and go maybe
70/30 instead. What's the general consensus out there? I'm in Phoenix,
it doesn't get very cold here. I guess I could drain out a quart or so
from the bottom and then top the system off with distilled to get me a
leaner mix in the system......if it would help.

Thanks,
Old August 15th 10, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
Hal > wrote:

> now I'm
> thinking I should maybe run it a little leaner than that and go maybe
> 70/30 instead. What's the general consensus out there? I'm in Phoenix

I think that's an excellent idea, though I wouldn't start to worry
unless the needle got past 3/4, and wouldn't shut down the A/C unless it
flirted with the red zone. Stay out of boost and you should be fine.

I had to play A/C tag on one 110F August visit to Tucson. Pulling the
license plate out of the mouth did the trick, but the real cause turned
out to be an intermittent cooling fan motor.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old August 15th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.[_3_]

On 2010-08-14 6:18 PM, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>> now I'm
>> thinking I should maybe run it a little leaner than that and go maybe
>> 70/30 instead. What's the general consensus out there? I'm in Phoenix

> I think that's an excellent idea, though I wouldn't start to worry
> unless the needle got past 3/4, and wouldn't shut down the A/C unless it
> flirted with the red zone. Stay out of boost and you should be fine.
>
> I had to play A/C tag on one 110F August visit to Tucson. Pulling the
> license plate out of the mouth did the trick, but the real cause turned
> out to be an intermittent cooling fan motor.

Why not just add a bottle of "Water Wetter" and fix the problem that way?
Stuart H.
'91 Eunos Roadster.
Old August 22nd 10, 07:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

On 8/15/2010 2:32 PM, Stuart H. wrote:
> On 2010-08-14 6:18 PM, Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> now I'm
>>> thinking I should maybe run it a little leaner than that and go maybe
>>> 70/30 instead. What's the general consensus out there? I'm in Phoenix

>> I think that's an excellent idea, though I wouldn't start to worry
>> unless the needle got past 3/4, and wouldn't shut down the A/C unless it
>> flirted with the red zone. Stay out of boost and you should be fine.
>>
>> I had to play A/C tag on one 110F August visit to Tucson. Pulling the
>> license plate out of the mouth did the trick, but the real cause turned
>> out to be an intermittent cooling fan motor.
>>

> Why not just add a bottle of "Water Wetter" and fix the problem that way?
> Stuart H.
> '91 Eunos Roadster.

The thermostat might be sticking partially open. I've had this happen
twice with different thermostats.

Another weird thing about my MSM Frank Berger Mazda 24 August 15th 10 06:07 AM
Help me understand...(2004 MSM) Hal Mazda 1 December 28th 09 07:55 AM
2004 MSM Hal Mazda 12 October 13th 09 05:04 AM
MSM 4 Sale Chris D'Agnolo Mazda 6 January 30th 08 02:08 AM