Rav 4x4 on the beach

Old April 8th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Rav 4x4 on the beach

Can the 2009 Rav 4 handle some light beach driving so that I may do
some surf fishing?
Old April 9th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Reed

Bruce Burden wrote:
> wrote:
> :
> : Can the 2009 Rav 4 handle some light beach driving so that I may do
> : some surf fishing?
> :
> Yes, with caveats. Realize that very soft sand is a trap for
> most any vehicle.
>
> So, I would suggest that you walk your path first, and check
> the sand before driving on it. If you start to sink in the sand,
> I'd think very carefully before attempting to drive on it. And,
> make sure you have room to turn around.
>
> Also, DO NOT spin your tires. If you get stuck, and try to
> power your want out, you are most likely going to sink furthur
> into the sand. This will make getting your vehicle out much, much
> harder.
>
> Carry a shovel with you, as well as some boards you can put
> under the tires to help you get out of loose sand. The sand will
> be easiest to drive on below the high-tide mark. Getting there
> is generally the trick. :-)
>
> Bruce

Also, if stuck, especially below high tide mark, DO NOT BE AFRAID to
let some air out of tires in effort to get unstuck. "Soft" tires do
better in sand than "hard". Years ago on the Internet there was a set
of pictures of fellow who was stuck, would not listen to others about
tires, more afraid of damaging the tires. Last picture showed just the
roof above water !!
Old April 9th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On 4/8/2009 10:32 PM, Reed wrote:
> Bruce Burden wrote:
>> wrote:
>> :
>> : Can the 2009 Rav 4 handle some light beach driving so that I may do
>> : some surf fishing?
>> :
>> Yes, with caveats. Realize that very soft sand is a trap for
>> most any vehicle.
>>
>> So, I would suggest that you walk your path first, and check
>> the sand before driving on it. If you start to sink in the sand,
>> I'd think very carefully before attempting to drive on it. And,
>> make sure you have room to turn around.
>> Also, DO NOT spin your tires. If you get stuck, and try to
>> power your want out, you are most likely going to sink furthur
>> into the sand. This will make getting your vehicle out much, much
>> harder.
>>
>> Carry a shovel with you, as well as some boards you can put
>> under the tires to help you get out of loose sand. The sand will
>> be easiest to drive on below the high-tide mark. Getting there
>> is generally the trick. :-)
>>
>> Bruce

> Also, if stuck, especially below high tide mark, DO NOT BE AFRAID to let
> some air out of tires in effort to get unstuck. "Soft" tires do better
> in sand than "hard". Years ago on the Internet there was a set of
> pictures of fellow who was stuck, would not listen to others about
> tires, more afraid of damaging the tires. Last picture showed just the
> roof above water !!

Furthermore remember the golden rule in sand. When motion is lost, stop
and regroup. Last thing to do here is spin a tire and bury it. Take a
couple old blankets or fair sized rugs with you. WHen you get bogged
down they can do wonders when placed under tires.
Old April 11th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Fuller Wrath

get ready for rust

Old April 13th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
bob wald

whos makes better small suvs. suzuki or ford/
or volvo or honda/

Old April 14th 09, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain[_4_]

Depends on what you want to use them for and which brand 'you' like.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
2000 Cherokee Sport
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old April 14th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Apr 9, 1:15*pm, SnoMan > wrote:
> On 4/8/2009 10:32 PM, Reed wrote:
>

> > Bruce Burden wrote:
> >> wrote:
> >> :
> >> : Can the 2009 Rav 4 handle some light beach driving so that I may do
> >> : some surf fishing?
> >> :
> >> Yes, with caveats. Realize that very soft sand is a trap for
> >> most any vehicle.

> >> So, I would suggest that you walk your path first, and check
> >> the sand before driving on it. If you start to sink in the sand,
> >> I'd think very carefully before attempting to drive on it. And,
> >> make sure you have room to turn around.
> >> Also, DO NOT spin your tires. If you get stuck, and try to
> >> power your want out, you are most likely going to sink furthur
> >> into the sand. This will make getting your vehicle out much, much
> >> harder.

> >> Carry a shovel with you, as well as some boards you can put
> >> under the tires to help you get out of loose sand. The sand will
> >> be easiest to drive on below the high-tide mark. Getting there
> >> is generally the trick. :-)

> >> Bruce

> > Also, if stuck, especially below high tide mark, DO NOT BE AFRAID to let
> > some air out of tires in effort to get unstuck. "Soft" tires do better
> > in sand than "hard". Years ago on the Internet there was a set of
> > pictures of fellow who was stuck, would not listen to others about
> > tires, more afraid of damaging the tires. Last picture showed just the
> > roof above water !!

> Furthermore remember the golden rule in sand. When motion is lost, stop
> and regroup. Last thing to do here is spin a tire and bury it. Take a
> couple old blankets or fair sized rugs with you. WHen you get bogged
> down they can do wonders when placed under tires.

Important information.
SBJ: 4T65E
http://tinyurl.com/2lcjkv
(Confuses a 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.)
SBJ: Dumb brake question
http://tinyurl.com/2ya3wo
(Discribes the wrong brakes and won't admit it.)
SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
http://tinyurl.com/2j44zv
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.)
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
http://tinyurl.com/2okyfx
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong
and doesn't want to admit it.)

Old April 23rd 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
bob wald

in todays market. ya gotta drive something that doesnt label you a bum n
thats trouble free n gets fair gas mileage.
n thats not too expensive n parts not high to replace n hard to get.
i bought this suzuki cause suzukis known world over as a top motor.
now i have come to realize.suzuki more than likely has their cars made
for them. by nissan id guess.