OT : Where in america to live ?

Old November 1st 05, 11:56 PM
Anthony W

Default OT : Where in america to live ?

Unfortunate some of the best places to live in the USA are also the
worst places to make a living.

With that said, Montana used to be cheap but rich California skiers are
ruining it. Idaho is still pretty nice, I went to college there one
year and I've always wanted to move back. Most any state will have "out
in the sticks" places that are pretty cheap. I'm sure you could find a
place you like on either side of the rockies. The best bet is to avoid
the most populated states (NY, NJ, CA...)

Tony

Old November 2nd 05, 12:04 AM
Ben Boyle

Consider moving to somewhere in rural Michigan. We have snow, no hurricanes and tornados are not a major concern nor are
earthquakes. In the location I am in $250,000 USD will buy a very nice house and plenty of land.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:09 AM
Lorem Ipsum

Default Where in america to live ?

"tricky" > wrote in message
> Excuse thise extreme OT post ! Just wondering all your opinions on the
> best place in the USA to live.
>
> For a long time I have been thinking that america looks BIG and cool.
>
> I have thought for a long time that it would be nice and easier to find a
> nice place to live there than in the UK.

If I may, I have lived in England and before that Metz, France. I left
Oxford, England in 1968. Don't call me obsolete yet; I have prospered and
lived in many parts of the USA since then: Connecticut, Rhode Island,
Virginia, Chicago (in the city itself, not a suburb), Georgia, Minnesota,
Iowa, New Mexico and Ohio and now I am back in Minnesota.

I have also traveled most of the USA and the places that remain very
attractive are Missouri and Tennessee, but haven't spent enough time in
those places to get over the wonder of first encounters.

What you need to do is to tell us what you like: Urban Culture, Rural,
whatever. Just spew it out and let us try to figure it. We need to know what
you are in terms of your cultural environment.

And if/when you do, we (speaking for my mate Molly McGuire and myself) we
will do whatever is necessary to make you welcome.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:13 AM
Lorem Ipsum

"tricky" > wrote in message
> See - there you go again Speedy !!! Jan says scary - I say cool, I think
> Jan is closer !!
>
> The house I am in cost me 176 K UK Pounds, about 250K us$ ?

Are you kidding us? 176,000UK is close to a half-million dollars in the USA.
For that you can get a tiny 2 bedroom home in San Francisco, or buy a whole
block in my little town of Minnesota.

Suddenly I feel sooooo small.

jj

Old November 2nd 05, 12:17 AM
Lorem Ipsum

Tricky, you can live anywhere you like. Get with the specs: weather,
temperature, culture... we have it all here, but what the USA does NOT have
in the most remote possibility, is British sensibility. Nowhere.

Why not visit? We will help you make your way across the USA so you can see
for yourself.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:23 AM
Speedy Jim

Lorem Ipsum wrote:

> "tricky" > wrote in message
>
>>See - there you go again Speedy !!! Jan says scary - I say cool, I think
>>Jan is closer !!
>>
>>The house I am in cost me 176 K UK Pounds, about 250K us$ ?

> Are you kidding us? 176,000UK is close to a half-million dollars in the USA.
> For that you can get a tiny 2 bedroom home in San Francisco, or buy a whole
> block in my little town of Minnesota.
>
> Suddenly I feel sooooo small.
>
> jj

British Pound Exchange Rate vs. U.S. Dollar

GBPUSD=X 1 1.7654 Nov. 1, 2005

176,000 £ = $310,710

Jim
Old November 2nd 05, 01:00 AM
P.J. Berg

tricky wrote:
> Excuse thise extreme OT post ! Just wondering all your opinions on the best
> place in the USA to live.
>
> For a long time I have been thinking that america looks BIG and cool.
>
> I have thought for a long time that it would be nice and easier to find a
> nice place to live there than in the UK.
>
> The UK is small and even in a nice place your are close to a 'NOT NICE'
> place !!! We are lucky we dont get poisonous creatures living here ( we
> have the adder (snake) but I don't know of anyone thats seen one ! )
>
> I woudnt want to live near quake zones or tornado alley - or recently near
> hurricane zones, For a long time I have thought New England would be nice.
> Main or near it.
>
> I like sun - dont mind snow - dont like wind !
>
> It would be nice to here what all you think about where you live and where
> you would like to live .
>
> Thanks for your 'OT' time !
>
> Rich

Try to live anywhere in the states for a short stint before you commit
to make a move, some love it, a lot hate it...

Take into considderation the shear(SP?) number of people, and wast
diversity differing between heavily populated areas and non so..

J.
Old November 2nd 05, 01:19 AM
Remco

tricky wrote:
> Excuse thise extreme OT post ! Just wondering all your opinions on the best
> place in the USA to live.
>
> For a long time I have been thinking that america looks BIG and cool.
>
> I have thought for a long time that it would be nice and easier to find a
> nice place to live there than in the UK.
>
> The UK is small and even in a nice place your are close to a 'NOT NICE'
> place !!! We are lucky we dont get poisonous creatures living here ( we
> have the adder (snake) but I don't know of anyone thats seen one ! )
>
> I woudnt want to live near quake zones or tornado alley - or recently near
> hurricane zones, For a long time I have thought New England would be nice.
> Main or near it.
>
> I like sun - dont mind snow - dont like wind !
>
> It would be nice to here what all you think about where you live and where
> you would like to live .
>
> Thanks for your 'OT' time !
>
> Rich

I like Connecticut because I'm near large water, entertainment and work
(in that order
Weather is mildly maritime tempered. We do get snow, but it really only
slows you down for a day, maybe. Decent skiing only a couple of hours
away. We do get an occasional storm but nothing like along the gulf
coast - one might lose power for a couple of hours, nothing serious.
Being less than one hour away from NYC, it can be busy here but one can
escape it pretty quickly.

One major negative is that it is one of the most expensive in the US.

I would love to live on Cape Cod or Block Island, Massachusetts. Really
nice but there's very little work out there. Maybe one day, when
telecommuting is more en vogue...

Remco

Old November 2nd 05, 01:37 AM
Remco

tricky wrote:
> See - there you go again Speedy !!! Jan says scary - I say cool, I think Jan
> is closer !!
>
> The house I am in cost me 176 K UK Pounds, about 250K us$ ?
>
> So that would be my budget . I like remoteness, and simple living. - land
> is more important that the house.

You might be able to score a nice rural house in the North East for
that with some decent space (Upstate NY, Maine, Vermont).
You will get a fair bit of snow there. Summers are very pleasant.

In the north east we do have have bears, cayotes and plenty of
dangerous snakes, though...

So when you coming, Rich?? (and how are you gonna get your cars over
here

Remco

Old November 2nd 05, 02:51 AM
Funkie

I would agree with the guys that have said you need to narrow down what you
like. The US has a lot of variety. There are usually sacrifices to getting
what you want. For example: you like sun , you will probably find a lot of
people. You like mountains you might find skiers or deserts!