OT Daily Drive E-Brake

Old April 3rd 05, 10:02 PM
Shag

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:49:39 -0500, "jjs" > wrote:

>"Busahaulic" > wrote in message
>
>> EXACTLY! New cables stretch. Some stretch a lot. [...]

>Yep. Never found a new cable that was stressed that didn't stretch, for
>example "parking" brakes. (What did VW call that brake in Bug? Anybody got
>an original manual?).

Yeah. I do. They call it a "hand brake." Thanks for bringing that
up. I just got my manual out of the garage and now it's right in
front of me. On page 31 it says "When parking on a sttep slope, set
the handbrake to stop the car rolling. As a precautionary measure, it
is advisable to engage first or reverse gear in additon to the
handbrake." They also mention the "hand brake" in the "Cold Weather
Hints" section on page 33. It says (for cold weather) "The brakes of
all automobiles are more or less exposed to splashing water which in
winter is apt to freeze in the brake drums. Therefore, when parking
your car, do not set the hand brake, but engage first or reverse
gear." In other words, when it's cold enough to freeze water outside,
don't use the hand/parking brake like you normally would. Now I
suppose you'll either ignore this post since it doesn't agree with you
even though it was you who asked if anyone had an original manual, or
you'll **** and moan and try to squirm your way out of it yet again
without admitting you're wrong. Which will it be this time, JJ?
Ignore me or **** and moan? My scanner is broken but if you call me a
liar then I'll go to the trouble of bringing this manual to work with
me and scanning it in there.

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old April 3rd 05, 10:12 PM
Joey Tribiani

"jjs" > wrote in message
> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
>
> > don't take my word for it...check any owners manual and let us know what
> > they suggest....*ALWAYS* apply the parking brake when exiting the
> > vehicle...

> Maybe you could show me some citations along with the YELLING.

im only yelling because you claim to be hard of hearing....but you said you
aren't BLIND so i wanted that to stand out....got it?....i have given you
info, if you choose to verify it, that is fine, if you don't, well thats
fine too...its not like i really give a ****...never have....but for others
that are actually capable of admitting they are mistaken, it could be good
info...

> > and they even go on to say that in an automatic you should shift
> > to neutral to set the parking brake to keep the stress caused by the
> > wieght
> > of the vehicle off the trans...

> I guess Ford thinks differently. "!(warning symbol)... Make sure that the
> gearshift is securely latched in Park (P)."

that is true....as in the situation above...but that is a given...i was
refering to proper steps prior to placing the car in park....i also didn't
say anything about turning the ignition off, or pulling the keys out, or
even locking the car.....why not state those too? (ford makes it a point to
say"turn off ignition whenever you leave your vehicle" right after the "make
sure the gearshift is latched in P"....which by the way is right after
"always set the parking brake fully"...please tell the whole story/warning
you jackass...)

Old April 3rd 05, 10:16 PM
Tim Rogers

"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>..................... and also kept his old 1953
> Pontiac which was still in good shape since it had been in the garage.
> The 53 was an early automatic. The funny thing about this automatis was
> that then there was no Park gear as in modern cars. You simply used
> your parking brake to hold the car.

.................I'm older than you so read this carefully Bill (grin): In
the forties and fifties, Pontiac and Oldsmobile and Cadillac used the
Hydramatic. Chevys and maybe some Pontiacs(?) used a two speed variation of
the Hydramatic that was called the Powerglide. Buick used the Dynaflow which
was similar but had a sloppier feel to it.......especially when accelerating
hard.

............You're right about them not having park on the gear selector but
when then the engine was off, reverse was used to lock-up the tranny which
was just like park in the modern trannys. This lock-up feature while in
reverse was just as effective as what we now know of as 'park'. The plumbing
inside those early automatics was configured to unlock the reverse lock-up
feature when the engine was spinning the torque converter.

Old April 3rd 05, 10:16 PM
Shag

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:12:33 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>"jjs" > wrote in message
>> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
>>
>> > don't take my word for it...check any owners manual and let us know what
>> > they suggest....*ALWAYS* apply the parking brake when exiting the
>> > vehicle...

>> Maybe you could show me some citations along with the YELLING.
>>

>im only yelling because you claim to be hard of hearing....but you said you
>aren't BLIND so i wanted that to stand out....got it?....i have given you
>info, if you choose to verify it, that is fine, if you don't, well thats
>fine too...its not like i really give a ****...never have....but for others
>that are actually capable of admitting they are mistaken, it could be good
>info...

Here ya go. Just for you, JJ. Guess which finger I'm pointing with.
http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/temp/brake.jpg
Now why do you suppose it says that as you're about to drive off that
you should first release the hand brake? Are you that stupid or just
that stubborn? My money is on stupid. Get over it. You're wrong.
Again.

>> > and they even go on to say that in an automatic you should shift
>> > to neutral to set the parking brake to keep the stress caused by the
>> > wieght
>> > of the vehicle off the trans...

>> I guess Ford thinks differently. "!(warning symbol)... Make sure that the
>> gearshift is securely latched in Park (P)."
>>

>that is true....as in the situation above...but that is a given...i was
>refering to proper steps prior to placing the car in park....i also didn't
>say anything about turning the ignition off, or pulling the keys out, or
>even locking the car.....why not state those too? (ford makes it a point to
>say"turn off ignition whenever you leave your vehicle" right after the "make
>sure the gearshift is latched in P"....which by the way is right after
>"always set the parking brake fully"...please tell the whole story/warning
>you jackass...)

---
Old April 3rd 05, 10:40 PM
Shag

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:16:06 GMT, Shag
> wrote:

>Here ya go. Just for you, JJ. Guess which finger I'm pointing with.
>http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/temp/brake.jpg
>Now why do you suppose it says that as you're about to drive off that
>you should first release the hand brake? Are you that stupid or just
>that stubborn? My money is on stupid. Get over it. You're wrong.
>Again.

Just to run it into the ground a little more I went out to my Honda
and got the owner's manual for it. On page 82 it discusses the
"parking brake." It discusses how to apply it and release it. It
doesn't even bother saying exactly what it's for. I'm sure that is
because most people can figure it out. Or... maybe not... It does
say "Driving the vehicle with the parking brake applied can damage the
rear brakes and axles." Hmm... Page 114. "Service Station
Procedures" 1- Park the vehicle and set the parking brake. etc, etc.
Wow, I never read this manual before. They talk a lot about the
parking brake. Page 131- "Automatic Transmission, Parking."
"Parking- Always use the parking brake when you park your vehicle.
Make sure the parking brake is set firmly or your vehicle may roll if
it is on an incline." Later on that same page- "Make sure the parking
brake is fully released before driving away." I'm suprised they had
to spell it out so much what that brake is for. Take heart, JJ!!!
Apparently there are LOTS of people who are stupid as hell. Just like
you! :-D

---
Old April 3rd 05, 10:42 PM
jjs

> that is true....as in the situation above...but that is a given...i was
> refering to proper steps prior to placing the car in park

The manual for the car in question it still doesn't say anything about
placing the tranmission in neutral - which is on the way to Park, and you
can't place the car in Park without applying the brake.

[...] please tell the whole story/warning
> you jackass...)

I see you are back to your old ways.

You trifling buffoon. I tried to be polite.
Killfile.

Old April 3rd 05, 10:43 PM
Shag

http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/newtrails/ba5.html

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! JJ is teh funny. :-)

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:40:20 GMT, Shag
> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:16:06 GMT, Shag
> wrote:
>

>>Here ya go. Just for you, JJ. Guess which finger I'm pointing with.
>>http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/temp/brake.jpg
>>Now why do you suppose it says that as you're about to drive off that
>>you should first release the hand brake? Are you that stupid or just
>>that stubborn? My money is on stupid. Get over it. You're wrong.
>>Again.
>>

>Just to run it into the ground a little more I went out to my Honda
>and got the owner's manual for it. On page 82 it discusses the
>"parking brake." It discusses how to apply it and release it. It
>doesn't even bother saying exactly what it's for. I'm sure that is
>because most people can figure it out. Or... maybe not... It does
>say "Driving the vehicle with the parking brake applied can damage the
>rear brakes and axles." Hmm... Page 114. "Service Station
>Procedures" 1- Park the vehicle and set the parking brake. etc, etc.
>Wow, I never read this manual before. They talk a lot about the
>parking brake. Page 131- "Automatic Transmission, Parking."
>"Parking- Always use the parking brake when you park your vehicle.
>Make sure the parking brake is set firmly or your vehicle may roll if
>it is on an incline." Later on that same page- "Make sure the parking
>brake is fully released before driving away." I'm suprised they had
>to spell it out so much what that brake is for. Take heart, JJ!!!
>Apparently there are LOTS of people who are stupid as hell. Just like
>you! :-D
>

>---
>"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
> - Inspector Harry Callahan

---
Old April 3rd 05, 10:47 PM
Howard Rose

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:49:39 -0500, "jjs" > wrote:

>"Busahaulic" > wrote in message
>
>> EXACTLY! New cables stretch. Some stretch a lot. [...]

>Yep. Never found a new cable that was stressed that didn't stretch, for
>example "parking" brakes. (What did VW call that brake in Bug? Anybody got
>an original manual?).

We call it a hand brake here in the UK. My 1966 and 1961 VW Owners
manuals both call it a hand brake too.

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old April 3rd 05, 10:48 PM
David

EMERGENCY BRAKE

A braking system that acts independently of the main hydraulic system and can slow or stop the car in the event that the
primary system fails. It can also be used to keep the car from rolling on unleveled ground. Also called the "parking" or
"hand" brake.

from http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../bldef-180.htm

Old April 3rd 05, 10:48 PM
Shag

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:48:13 -0400, "David"
> wrote:

>EMERGENCY BRAKE
>
>A braking system that acts independently of the main hydraulic system and can slow or stop the car in the event that the
>primary system fails. It can also be used to keep the car from rolling on unleveled ground. Also called the "parking" or
>"hand" brake.
>

>from http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../bldef-180.htm

I think everyone here "gets it" except ol' JJ. He's a little slow,
but still fun to laugh at sometimes.

---