WJ help needed

Old July 31st 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bill

Default WJ help needed

I know that it must have been addressed before, but I need help with 17"
rims/tires. I need help deciding which to buy. I drive many miles daily, so
rain, snow and treadwear are the issues. Treadwear is the top priority, but
won't compromise performance for longevity. Suggestions?

If a 2" lift or so would make it easier, I would install it as well.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Bill Pahl
Old July 31st 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Reverend Natural Light

On Jul 31, 8:02 am, bill > wrote:
> I know that it must have been addressed before, but I need help with 17"
> rims/tires. I need help deciding which to buy. I drive many miles daily, so
> rain, snow and treadwear are the issues. Treadwear is the top priority, but
> won't compromise performance for longevity. Suggestions?

You know what they say about opinions....

I put Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires on my ZJ and loved them. Good
handling, good smooth quiet highway ride, good mileage, lasted a long
time, and kicked ass in the snow.

Old August 1st 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jim Crandell

bill wrote:
> I know that it must have been addressed before, but I need help with 17"
> rims/tires. I need help deciding which to buy. I drive many miles daily, so
> rain, snow and treadwear are the issues. Treadwear is the top priority, but
> won't compromise performance for longevity. Suggestions?
>
> If a 2" lift or so would make it easier, I would install it as well.
>
> Thank you in advance for your replies.
>
> Bill Pahl

The best tires I've ever put on my TJL are Michelin M/S's. If you use
it primarily for highway use, these work well and wear like iron.
They're outstanding in snow, but I don't mud-bog, so I can't offer an
opinion on that. I've run them about 30,000 miles so far, and have more
than half the tread left on them; I'd say they're good for another 15-20k.
Old August 1st 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jim Crandell

Old August 2nd 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Jim Crandell wrote:
> bill wrote:
>> I know that it must have been addressed before, but I need help with
>> 17" rims/tires. I need help deciding which to buy. I drive many miles
>> daily, so rain, snow and treadwear are the issues. Treadwear is the
>> top priority, but won't compromise performance for longevity.
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> If a 2" lift or so would make it easier, I would install it as well.
>> Thank you in advance for your replies.
>> Bill Pahl

> The best tires I've ever put on my TJL are Michelin M/S's. If you use
> it primarily for highway use, these work well and wear like iron.
> They're outstanding in snow, but I don't mud-bog, so I can't offer an
> opinion on that. I've run them about 30,000 miles so far, and have more
> than half the tread left on them; I'd say they're good for another 15-20k.

I have the M+S on a ZJ and have well over 60K on them. They still have
all sorts of tread left, but I'll be replacing them with either the AT-2
or another set of M+S next year as they are simply getting old.
Suspect the AT-2 will get the nod for just a bit more cleatiness in soft
dirt, grass, etc.

In the winter, I show off and use fully studded snows cause I like to
drive in the mountains and prefer to be able to stop on the downhills.
Old August 2nd 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Lon wrote:
> Jim Crandell wrote:
>> bill wrote:
>>> I know that it must have been addressed before, but I need help
>>> with 17" rims/tires. I need help deciding which to buy. I drive
>>> many miles daily, so rain, snow and treadwear are the issues.
>>> Treadwear is the top priority, but won't compromise performance for
>>> longevity. Suggestions?
>>>
>>> If a 2" lift or so would make it easier, I would install it as
>>> well. Thank you in advance for your replies.
>>> Bill Pahl

>> The best tires I've ever put on my TJL are Michelin M/S's. If you
>> use it primarily for highway use, these work well and wear like iron.
>> They're outstanding in snow, but I don't mud-bog, so I can't offer an
>> opinion on that. I've run them about 30,000 miles so far, and have
>> more than half the tread left on them; I'd say they're good for
>> another 15-20k.

> I have the M+S on a ZJ and have well over 60K on them. They still
> have all sorts of tread left, but I'll be replacing them with either
> the AT-2 or another set of M+S next year as they are simply getting
> old. Suspect the AT-2 will get the nod for just a bit more cleatiness in
> soft dirt, grass, etc.
>
> In the winter, I show off and use fully studded snows cause I like to
> drive in the mountains and prefer to be able to stop on the downhills.

Last set was the Michelin M/S, the only fault with them was they tended
to clog in mud. But they also wore like iron and will be my next set.

Replaced them with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T and they don't pack up
as much in the muck. Thing is they are wearing out twice as fast as
the Mich M/S and not lasting on the ZJ. So after these rubberized
turds wear out I'm going back to Mich M/S.

--
DougW

Old August 2nd 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

DougW wrote:

> Lon wrote:
>> Jim Crandell wrote:

>>> The best tires I've ever put on my TJL are Michelin M/S's. If you
>>> use it primarily for highway use, these work well and wear like iron.
>>> They're outstanding in snow, but I don't mud-bog, so I can't offer an
>>> opinion on that. I've run them about 30,000 miles so far, and have
>>> more than half the tread left on them; I'd say they're good for
>>> another 15-20k.

>> I have the M+S on a ZJ and have well over 60K on them. They still
>> have all sorts of tread left, but I'll be replacing them with either
>> the AT-2 or another set of M+S next year as they are simply getting
>> old. Suspect the AT-2 will get the nod for just a bit more cleatiness in
>> soft dirt, grass, etc.
>>
>> In the winter, I show off and use fully studded snows cause I like to
>> drive in the mountains and prefer to be able to stop on the downhills.

> Last set was the Michelin M/S, the only fault with them was they tended
> to clog in mud. But they also wore like iron and will be my next set.
>
> Replaced them with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T and they don't pack up
> as much in the muck. Thing is they are wearing out twice as fast as
> the Mich M/S and not lasting on the ZJ. So after these rubberized
> turds wear out I'm going back to Mich M/S.

I've got just over 60k on BFG AT-KOs - best rubber I've found. Same packing
issue as you describe but a great compromise if you do a lot of pavement
running.

--
Will Honea

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

DIY help needed.. SunK BMW 2 February 3rd 07 10:50 PM
A/C help needed Steve Walker Technology 3 June 21st 06 03:35 AM
We Needed A Big Gas Tax [email protected] Ford Mustang 421 December 23rd 05 03:44 AM
JIM: HELP NEEDED. Teleplus Gatineau Ford Explorer 2 January 27th 05 02:53 PM