WJ: Swap from NV247 to NP242?

Old July 7th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Reverend Natural Light

Default WJ: Swap from NV247 to NP242?

Howdy.

My '99 WJ Grand Cherokee, 4.7L Quadra Trak II NV247, won't drive its
front wheels in 4HI. I found an NP242 from a '94 XJ Cherokee. Will
it fit?

I'd rather have part time 4wd than spend the time fixing the full time
unit.

Were there ever disconnect style front axles for WJs? Is there an
aftermarket locking hub conversion?

Thanks!
Old July 7th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_28_]

Default Swap from NV247 to NP242?

Wrangler/Cherokees no longer have disconnect style front axles, as of 1996
or so. I think the manufacturer concluded the trouble to make them was more
than the marginal fuel savings realized. Warn makes an aftermarket locking
hub conversion for the Wrangler, it may fit your front axle if it is a D30.
Otherwise, several axle upgrades are possible, but I don't think you need
disconnect hubs.

As far as whether the NP242 will fit, I am afraid the only real test is a
trial fit. The basic transmission to transfer case bolt pattern is probably
the same, but other places you can go wrong are transmission output shaft
length and spline count, transfer case length, and front and rear drive
shaft fittings, mounts, speedometer drive... This does sound in principle
like a reasonable upgrade.

Have you checked the Jeep Tech Pages? http://www.jeeptech.com/

Cheers,

Earle

"The Reverend Natural Light" > wrote in message
> Howdy.
>
> My '99 WJ Grand Cherokee, 4.7L Quadra Trak II NV247, won't drive its
> front wheels in 4HI. I found an NP242 from a '94 XJ Cherokee. Will
> it fit?
>
> I'd rather have part time 4wd than spend the time fixing the full time
> unit.
>
> Were there ever disconnect style front axles for WJs? Is there an
> aftermarket locking hub conversion?
>

> Thanks!

How to disassemble the NV247 transfer case torque63 Driving 0 January 13th 08 09:33 PM
How to disassemble the NV247 transfer case torque63 Honda 0 January 13th 08 09:31 PM
NP242 Carl[_3_] Jeep 0 January 16th 07 04:03 AM
CJ to TJ swap Crushed Red Pepper Jeep 16 January 5th 07 03:07 PM
2.0 16V Swap MicroBiz VW water cooled 2 January 4th 06 08:39 PM