DIC Mileage Challenge Results

Old October 13th 08, 01:02 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

Default DIC Mileage Challenge Results

2008 Z06

3000 total miles.

New Mobil 1

Tires @ 31 psi

CITY DRIVING

Includes numerous 0-80 mph WOT jaunts. I just can't help it.

61.5 miles divided by 6.086 gallons = 10.11 miles per gallon

DIC mileage = 11.2

Ave. speed = 18 mph

DIC ERROR = (10.11 - 11.2)/10.11 * 100

= 10.8% HIGH

THE TRIP

Trip was Fresno to Modesto CA two (2) times.

Leg #1 - Fresno to Modesto

Distance = 95.2 miles

Ave. mph = 50.6 Includes 20 miles of getting out of and into town.

DIC mileage = 22.0 mpg.

Leg #2 - Modesto to Fresno and back to Modesto

Distance = 192.2 miles

Ave. mph = 51.4

DIC mileage = 22.4 mpg

Leg #3 - Modesto to Madera CA - All highway miles.

Mild to Wild Exhaust "open"

Includes two WOT passes of a bunch of cars. 109 mph tops.

Distance = 63.2 miles

Ave. mph = 70.1

DIC mileage = 25.1 mpg

TRIP OVER

Filled back up with gas.

357.2 miles divided by 16.548 gallons of gas = 21.58 miles per gallon
average. ACTUAL.

DIC Mileage average = 22.0*95.2/357.1 + 22.4*192.2/357.1 + 25.1*63.2/357.1

= 22.37 miles per gallon

DIC ERROR = (21.58 - 22.37)/21.58 * 100

= 3.7% HIGH

Conclusions: The DIC mileage is consistently higher than actual. The DIC
mileage is a little high, but accurate enough. I still think you should
occasionally check your mileage the old fashioned way to check accuracy. The
flow sensor in this case was in new condition. The LS7 engine seems to get
maximum mileage at 80 mph in cruise control. Weather was cool and the oil
only got up to 160 degrees F.

Arnold, please do the actual calculation and report back. If you are not
capable, post your mileage and gallons used and we'll do the math for you.

Ed

Old October 13th 08, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 12, 7:02*pm, "Spud" > wrote:
> 2008 Z06
>
> 3000 total miles.
>
> New Mobil 1
>
> Tires @ 31 psi
>
> CITY DRIVING
>
> Includes numerous 0-80 mph WOT jaunts. I just can't help it.
>
> 61.5 miles divided by 6.086 gallons = 10.11 miles per gallon
>
> DIC mileage = 11.2
>
> Ave. speed = 18 mph
>
> DIC ERROR * * = (10.11 - 11.2)/10.11 * 100
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * = 10.8% HIGH
>
> THE TRIP
>
> Trip was Fresno to Modesto CA two (2) times.
>
> Leg #1 - Fresno to Modesto
>
> Distance = 95.2 miles
>
> Ave. mph = 50.6 Includes 20 miles of getting out of and into town.
>
> DIC mileage = 22.0 mpg.
>
> Leg #2 - Modesto to Fresno and back to Modesto
>
> Distance = 192.2 miles
>
> Ave. mph = 51.4
>
> DIC mileage = 22.4 mpg
>
> Leg #3 - Modesto to Madera CA - All highway miles.
>
> Mild to Wild Exhaust "open"
>
> Includes two WOT passes of a bunch of cars. 109 mph tops.
>
> Distance = 63.2 miles
>
> Ave. mph = 70.1
>
> DIC mileage = 25.1 mpg
>
> TRIP OVER
>
> Filled back up with gas.
>
> 357.2 miles divided by 16.548 gallons of gas = 21.58 miles per gallon
> average. ACTUAL.
>
> DIC Mileage average = 22.0*95.2/357.1 + 22.4*192.2/357.1 + 25.1*63.2/357.1
>
> = 22.37 miles per gallon
>
> DIC ERROR = (21.58 - 22.37)/21.58 * 100
>
> = 3.7% HIGH
>
> Conclusions: The DIC mileage is consistently higher than actual. The DIC
> mileage is a little high, but accurate enough. I still think you should
> occasionally check your mileage the old fashioned way to check accuracy. The
> flow sensor in this case was in new condition. The LS7 engine seems to get
> maximum mileage at 80 mph in cruise control. * Weather was cool and the oil
> only got up to 160 degrees F.
>
> Arnold, please do the actual calculation and report back. * If you are not
> capable, post your mileage and gallons used and we'll do the math for you..
>
> Ed

REPLY:

Eddie, Until you can dispense with the guff, Im not participating in
your Test program .
Old October 14th 08, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

> Arnold, please do the actual calculation and report back. If you are not
> capable, post your mileage and gallons used and we'll do the math for you.
>
> Ed

REPLY:

Eddie, Until you can dispense with the guff, Im not participating in
your Test program .

Ok come on Arnie, please come out and play. We won't pick on you (crossed
fingers).
Here, you can sit in my Corvette. Let me open the door for
you......................

Old October 15th 08, 08:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

On Oct 12, 8:02 pm, "Spud" > wrote:

2000 C5, 6-speed, B&B exhaust, 125k+ miles.

Since the previous thread, I filled up with Citgo high-test and
stabbed the trip reset. As of today:

25.2 mpg actual (gallons used / miles traveled).
27.0 mpg on DIC.

That's about the worst I've ever seen, but I've been driving in
horrible Washington DC traffic through the whole tank. Probably 1/3
highway, 1/3 gridlock, 1/3 backroads. Last time I checked, it was
closer to 28 actual and 30 on the DIC.

Old October 16th 08, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 13, 7:03*pm, "Spud" > wrote:
> > Arnold, please do the actual calculation and report back. If you are not
> > capable, post your mileage and gallons used and we'll do the math for you.

> > Ed

> REPLY:
>
> Eddie, *Until you can dispense with the guff, *Im not participating in
> your *Test program .
>
> Ok come on Arnie, please come out and play. * We won't pick on you (crossed
> fingers).
> Here, you can sit in my Corvette. *Let me open the door for
> you......................

REPLY: No. Straighten up .
Old October 16th 08, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

> 25.2 mpg actual (gallons used / miles traveled).
> 27.0 mpg on DIC.
>
> That's about the worst I've ever seen, but I've been driving in
> horrible Washington DC traffic through the whole tank. Probably 1/3
> highway, 1/3 gridlock, 1/3 backroads. Last time I checked, it was
> closer to 28 actual and 30 on the DIC.

Wow. That's quite impressive considering it's combined driving.

Old October 18th 08, 09:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

DIC Challenge Info:

Odometers read high in both C4 & C5. DIC read
high both cars. C5 would have done better in
no-wind over a level course. This run was
mountainous and hot in the desert.

======== ============ ======
'02 C5/LS-1/stock -- dyno tuned for max torque
at 4,025 rpm, GU6 3.42rar, 6-spd, 275/40ZR18.
(non-runflats).
I-8 SAN-YUM-SAN 65-80mph, Outbound headwind:
15mph gusting 45. Active handling-off during
severe wind gusts. Inbound tailwind: 5mph.
Mostly cruise control - ON.

GPS(total)= 376.7 (incl some local miles)
Avg Speed = 71 mph
Odometer = 389.4
Fill up = 13.3 gal. (91 grade)
Computed = 28.3 mpg (based on GPS)
DIC: = 29.6 mpg
========= ========== =========
'89 C4/L98 Auto, RPO G44 3.07rar, D3X speedo
gear, orig tire size. Stock except: Denso injectors
7-commutes (2.4 miles stop-go plus 16.8
miles freeway (65 mph), Gentle right foot.

GPS(total)= 272.5 miles (a few dropouts)
Avg. Speed= 53 mph
Odometer = 282.1 miles
Fill up = 12.1 gallons (89 grade)
Computed = 22.5 mpg (based on GPS)
Indicated Average: 24.2mph
========= ========== =========
========= ========== =========
Old October 18th 08, 10:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

> GPS(total)= 376.7 (incl some local miles)

Good test PJ.

Say, I've got the factory installed GPS. Can I track mileage in it?

The GM GPS is a pretty confusing piece of electronics. And I consider
myself somewhat of a techie.

Guess I'll get the 1" thick GPS manual out..........

Ed

Old October 18th 08, 11:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Spud" > wrote in message

>> GPS(total)= 376.7 (incl some local miles)
>>

> Good test PJ.
>
> Say, I've got the factory installed GPS. Can I track mileage in
> it?
>
> The GM GPS is a pretty confusing piece of electronics. And I
> consider myself somewhat of a techie.
>
> Guess I'll get the 1" thick GPS manual out..........
>
> Ed

What, you mean it isn't on a CD/DVD so you can watch it while you
drive. Actually I was wondering the same thing since I never got GMs
version of how the world turns. Started using a GPS laptop program
when I was correcting MPH on my last Mustang when I went back to stock
tires. Still has the digital slack but otherwise it is pretty much on
the money.

Old October 19th 08, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Spud wrote:
>> GPS(total)= 376.7 (incl some local miles)
>>

> Good test PJ.
>
> Say, I've got the factory installed GPS. Can I track mileage in it?
>
> The GM GPS is a pretty confusing piece of electronics. And I consider
> myself somewhat of a techie.
>
> Guess I'll get the 1" thick GPS manual out..........
>

> Ed

dunno what the factory GPS does.

GM isn't alone. I also "do tech" and it was
tough figuring out how to enter destinations in
a new Garmin. Finally, RTFM -- fortunately all
in one chapter of the 80+ pages.

Only gripe with the stand-alone unit is that
it's necessary to manually stop the elapsed
timer when pausing for lunch or an errand.
--
pj