Pontiac 1962 Catalina GTO 2dr cnvt Red lsrv .JPG (1/1)-37-210

Old March 29th 08, 08:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
doby

Default Pontiac 1962 Catalina GTO 2dr cnvt Red lsrv .JPG (1/1)-37-210

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac 1962 Catalina GTO 2dr cnvt Red lsrv .JPG
Views:	65
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	129189
Old March 30th 08, 03:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
MagisterMax

Hi Doby, Are you sure about this name? I don't think the GTO was built on
the Catalina base but rather on the Tempest. Did this Catalina have a
special name, maybe like Ventura? I really don't know the US Pontiacs all
that well after the 50s.

Max

Old March 30th 08, 04:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

MagisterMax added these comments in the current discussion du jour

> Hi Doby, Are you sure about this name? I don't think the GTO was
> built on the Catalina base but rather on the Tempest. Did this
> Catalina have a special name, maybe like Ventura? I really don't
> know the US Pontiacs all that well after the 50s.

It is obviously kustom krap, moron! "We" all know that the first GTO
was 1964 and was really a submodel of the Tempest so that John Delorean
could slide one past GM's management by violating the rule on max
engine size when he put a performance 389 in a car ruled to be no more
than 330.

P.S. if you looked at Doby's interior picture, you can see that it is
obviously a modern-day bucket seat trim set and hardly what one might
find in a Catalina or even a Ventura in 1962. Oh, and a Ventura was a
Catalina with "genuine Morrokide" trim, aka Naugahide, aka vinyl. The
idea was to give the Ventura the look of the Bonneville leather bench
seat at an affordable price.

And you call yourself a car expert? Bah!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"And, that's all I'm going to say about that" - Forrest Gump

Old March 30th 08, 04:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
MagisterMax

Hey Un-Powered, You've got to learn to stay out of the conversations of your
betters. The Pontiac comment had nothing to do with you nor with anything
you know, so your derogatory gratuitous comments are not wanted. Come to
think of it, you're not wanted, not at home by wifey who's probably
barricaded herself inside her half of the home for years, not by your
neighbours who've no doubt got dogs on the loose to keep you indoors, not by
anyone at Chrysler who have taken away your lease benefits as a prelude to
cutting off your medical coverage, not by anyone on any newsgroup you've
ever visited, not by the poor benighted girl you call your daughter who
hides from the very mention of your name, not even by God I dare say. You
really are all alone and universally despised and rejected so if we wanted
your comments we'd put a kink in your catheter to give you the only physical
stimulation you've had in decades. Now, go to the cesspool you came from
and slither back under the slime, you troll.

max

Old March 30th 08, 05:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

MagisterMax added these comments in the current discussion du jour

> Hey Un-Powered, You've got to learn to stay out of the
> conversations of your betters. The Pontiac comment had nothing to
> do with you nor with anything you know, so your derogatory
> gratuitous comments are not wanted. Come to think of it, you're
> not wanted, not at home by wifey who's probably barricaded herself
> inside her half of the home for years, not by your neighbours
> who've no doubt got dogs on the loose to keep you indoors, not by
> anyone at Chrysler who have taken away your lease benefits as a
> prelude to cutting off your medical coverage, not by anyone on any
> newsgroup you've ever visited, not by the poor benighted girl you
> call your daughter who hides from the very mention of your name,
> not even by God I dare say. You really are all alone and
> universally despised and rejected so if we wanted your comments
> we'd put a kink in your catheter to give you the only physical
> stimulation you've had in decades. Now, go to the cesspool you
> came from and slither back under the slime, you troll.

Trolled you again, Mad Max! Blow away, you've been bested by some
dumb American. What I find so gratifying about whacking on you
occasionally is how weaker your replies become each time. You know
NO-thing about me and NO-thing about my career. Now, anytime you want
to tell my wife or my daughter something, bring it on, if you can,
idiot. You are exactly what I've described you as - a nutbag teacher
who only knows what he's read in some book, and nothing whatsoever
about the real world of automotive technology. Whine away, you're
amusing me and embarrasing yourself before the world.

Old March 30th 08, 07:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
doby

I was never into the Pointiac cars after owning one piece of crap. I just took
the info off of that supplied by the Kruse signage. I can tell you that I did
find 2 or three cars I questioned and looked up when I was labeling the photos
and double checked in books. Not knowing the GTO's, I just put down what was
furnished. I just now looked up the 62 Pointiacs and it doesn't even mention
GTO's except to say they were now an expanded line. The book has the Tempest
listed as a model but not mention at all in any model of GTO's I know the
Tempest was different suspension that the Olds F-85 and the little Buick
Special. So I'll will remove the Catilina and just refer to it as a GTO.

Old March 30th 08, 08:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
MagisterMax

Hear that buzzing sound? All the time? It's the botflies in your head.

Old March 30th 08, 08:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
MagisterMax

Hi Doby, No, it's the other way around. This one is the Catalina even
though someone put a GTO emblem into the grille. There were no GTO models
in 1962 in any event, so this one's just a Catalina Convertible.

Max

Old March 30th 08, 11:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Mike G.

Just a little GTO history;

The Pontiac GTO was an automobile built by Pontiac from 1964 to 1974, and by General Motors Holden in Australia from 2004 to 2006.
It is often considered the first true muscle car. From 1964 until midway through 1973 it was closely related to the Pontiac
Tempest and for the 1974 model year it was based on the Pontiac Ventura. The 21st century GTO is essentially a left hand drive
Holden Monaro, itself a coupe variant of the Holden Commodore.

1964

The first Pontiac GTO was an option package for the Pontiac LeMans, available with the two-door sedan, hardtop coupe, and
convertible body styles. For US$ 296, it included the 389 in³ V8 (rated at 325 hp (242 kW) at 4800 rpm) with a single Carter AFB
four-barrel carburetor and dual exhaust, chromed valve covers and air cleaner, 7 blade clutch fan, a floor-shifted three-speed
manual transmission with Hurst shifter, stiffer springs, larger diameter front sway bar, wider wheels with 7.50 x 14 redline
tires, hood scoops, and GTO badges. Optional equipment included a four-speed manual transmission, two-speed automatic
transmission, a more powerful "Tri-Power" carburation rated at 348 hp (260 kW), metallic drum brake linings, limited slip
differential, heavy-duty cooling, ride and handling package, and the usual array of power and convenience accessories. With every
available option, the GTO cost about US$ 4,500 and weighed around 3,500 pounds (1,600 kg).

1965

The Tempest line, including the GTO, was restyled for the 1965 model year, adding 3.1 inches (79 mm) (7.9 cm) to the overall
length while retaining the same wheelbase and interior dimensions. It sported Pontiac's characteristic vertically stacked quad
headlights. Overall weight increased about 100 pounds (45 kg). Brake lining area increased nearly 15%. The dashboard design was
improved, and an optional rally gauge cluster ($86.08) added a more legible tachometer and oil pressure gauge.

The 389 engine had revised cylinder heads with re-cored intake passages, improving breathing. Rated power increased to 335 hp (250
kW) @ 5,000 rpm for the base 4-barrel engine; the Tri-Power was rated 360 hp ((268 kW) @ 5,200 rpm. The Tri-Power engine had
slightly less torque than the base engine, 424 [[Foot-pound force|ft·lbf]] (574 N·m) @ 3,600 rpm versus 431 ft·lbf (584 N·m) @
3,200 rpm. Transmission and axle ratio choices remained the same.

The restyled GTO had a new simulated hood scoop. A rare, dealer-installed option was a metal underhood pan and gaskets that
allowed the scoop to be opened, transforming a cosmetic device into a functional cold air intake. The scoop was low enough that
its effectiveness was questionable (it was unlikely to pick up anything but boundary layer air), but it at least admitted cooler,
denser air, and allowed more of the engine's formidable roar to escape.

1966

1966 Pontiac GTO coupe seen with 1967 Rally II wheelsPontiac's intermediate line was restyled again for 1966, gaining more
curvaceous styling with kicked-up rear fender lines for a "Coke-bottle" look, and a slightly "tunneled" backlight. The tail light
featured a rare louvered cover, only seen on the GTO. Overall length grew only fractionally, to 206.4 inches (524 cm), still on a
115 inch (292 cm) wheelbase, while width expanded to 74.4 inches (189 cm). Rear track increased one inch (2.5 cm). Overall weight
remained about the same. The GTO became a separate model series, rather than an optional performance package, with unique grille
and tail lights, available as a pillared sports coupe, a hardtop sans pillars, or a convertible. Also an automotive industry
first, plastic front grilles replaced the pot metal and aluminum versions seen on earlier years. New Strato bucket seats were
introduced with higher and thinner seat backs and contoured cushions for added comfort and adjustable headrests were introduced as
a new option. The instrument panel was redesigned and more integrated than in previous years with the ignition switch moved from
the far left of the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Four pod instruments continued, and the GTO's dash was highlighted by
walnut veneer trim. The 1966 model year is viewed by many as the most iconic of all GTOs because of its independent model status
and because it was the last year Pontiac offered the 389 Tri Power engine configuration.

1967

Styling remained essentially unchanged for 1967, but the GTO saw several significant mechanical changes.

1968

GM redesigned its A-body line for 1968, with more curvaceous, "fastback" styling. The previous 115 inch (292 cm) wheelbase was
shortened to 112 inches (2,800 mm) (284 cm) for all two-door models. Overall length was reduced 5.9 inches (150 mm) and height
dropped half an inch (12 mm), but overall weight was up about 75 pounds (34 kg). Pontiac abandoned the familiar stacked headlights
for hidden headlights behind the split grille (actually a US$52.66 option, but seen on many GTOs). The signature hood scoop was
replaced by dual scoops on either side of a prominent hood bulge extending rearward from the protruding nose.

A unique feature was the body-color Endura front bumper. It was designed to absorb impact without permanent deformation at low
speeds. Pontiac touted this feature heavily in advertising, showing hammering at the bumper to no discernible effect. Though a
rare option, a GTO could be ordered with "Endura Delete", in which case the Endura bumper would be replaced by a chrome front
bumper and grille from the Pontiac Le Mans. This model year further emphasized the curvacious "coke bottle" styling, as viewed
from the side.

1969

The 1969 model did not have the vent windows, had a slight grille and taillight revision, moved the ignition key from the
dashboard to the steering column, and the gauge faces changed from steel blue to black. In addition, the rear quarter-panel
mounted side marker lamps changed from a red lens shaped like the Pontiac "V" crest to one shaped like the broad GTO badge.

1970

The Tempest line received another facelift for the 1970 model year. Hidden headlights were deleted in favor of four exposed round
headlamps outboard of narrower grille openings. The nose retained the protruding vertical prow theme, although it was less
prominent. While the standard Tempest and LeMans had chrome grilles, the GTO retained the Endura urethane cover around the
headlamps and grille.

1971

The 1971 GTO had another modest facelift, this time with wire-mesh grilles, horizontal bumper bars on either side of the grille
opening, more closely spaced headlamps, and a new hood with the dual scoops relocated to the leading edge, not far above the
grille. Overall length grew slightly to 203.3 inches (516 cm

1972

In 1972, the GTO reverted from a separate model line to a US$353.88 option package for the LeMans and LeMans Sport coupes. On the
base LeMans line, the GTO package could be had with either the low-priced pillared coupe or hardtop coupe. Both models came
standard with cloth and vinyl or all-vinyl bench seats and rubber floor mats on the pillared coupe and carpeting on the hardtop,
creating a lower-priced GTO. The LeMans Sport, offered only as a hardtop coupe, came with Strato bucket seats upholstered in
vinyl, along with carpeting on floor and lower door panels, vinyl door-pull straps, custom pedal trim and cushioned steering
wheel, much like GTOs of previous years. Other optional equipment was similar to 1971 and earlier models. Planned for 1972 as a
GTO option was the ducktail rear spoiler from the Pontiac Firebird, but after a few cars were built with that option, it was
cancelled. Rally II and honeycomb wheels were optional on all GTOs, with the honeycombs now featuring red Pontiac arrowhead
emblems on the center caps, while the Rally IIs continued with the same caps as before, with the letters "PMD" (for Pontiac Motor
Division).

1973

Once again an option package for the LeMans, the 1973 GTO shared the reskinned A-body with its "Colonnade" hardtop styling, which
eliminated true hardtop design because of the addition of a roof pillar but retention of frameless doorwork. Rear side windows
were now of a fixed design that could not be opened and in a triangular shape. New federal laws for 1973 demanded front bumpers
capable of withstanding 5 mile per hour (8 km/h) impacts with no damage to the body (5 mph rear bumpers became standard in 1974).
The result was the use of prominent and heavy chrome bumpers front and rear. The overall styling of the 1973 Pontiac A-body
intermediates (LeMans, Luxury LeMans, GTO and Grand Am) was generally not well received by the car buying public.

1974

Wanting to avoid internal competition with the "Euro-styled" Pontiac Grand Am, and looking for an entry into the compact muscle
market populated by the Plymouth Duster 360, Ford Maverick Grabber and AMC Hornet X, Pontiac moved the 1974 GTO option to the
compact Pontiac Ventura, which shared its basic body shell and sheetmetal with the Chevrolet Nova. Critics dubbed it "a Chevy Nova
in drag."

The US$195 GTO package included a three-speed manual transmission with Hurst floor shifter, heavy-duty suspension with front and
rear anti-roll bars, a shaker hood, special grille, mirrors, and wheels, and various GTO emblems. The only engine was the 350 in³
(5.7 L) V8 with 7.6:1 compression and a single four-barrel carburetor. It was rated at 200 hp (149 kW) @ 4,400 rpm and 295 ft·lbf
(400 N·m) @ 2,800 rpm. Optional transmissions included a wide-ratio four-speed with Hurst shifter or the three-speed Turbo
Hydra-Matic.

The GTO option was available in both the base Ventura and Ventura Custom lines as either a two-door sedan or hatchback coupe. The
base Ventura interior consisted of bench seats and rubber floor mats, while the Ventura Custom had upgraded bench seats or
optional Strato bucket seats along with carpeting, cushioned steering wheel, and custom pedal trim.

Bias-belted tires were standard equipment, but a radial tuned suspension option added radial tires along with upgraded suspension
tuning for improved ride and handling.

Cars Magazine tested a 1974 GTO with the optional four-speed and obtained a 0-60 mph time of 7.7 seconds and a quarter mile
reading of 15.72 seconds @ 88 mph (142 km/h).

Sales were an improvement over 1973, at 7,058, but not enough to justify continuing the model.

1975 to 1999

Pontiac had planned to offer a 1975 GTO, again based on the compact Ventura and powered by a Pontiac-built 350 in³ V8. The Ventura
and other GM compacts underwent substantial styling and engineering changes, the latter including front and rear suspensions
similar to the sporty Firebird. In the end, however, the GTO was discontinued following a corporate decision to switch to Buick V8
engines on the 1975 Ventura line, though Pontiac V8s were continued in all other division models.

In 1975, an enterprising Pontiac dealer in the Eastern United States reportedly decided to "create" a new GTO. Sensing that the
1974 GTO should have continued on the intermediate LeMans platform rather than downsized to the Ventura line, this dealer
advertised and sold an undetermined number of 1975 Pontiac GTOs. These cars were factory-ordered by the dealer as LeMans Sport
Coupes equipped with the 400 or 455 in³ V8s with four-barrel carburetors, Turbo Hydra-Matic transmissions, Strato bucket seats and
console, power steering, power disc brakes, Rally II or Honeycomb wheels, and Radial Tuned Suspension with whitewall or
white-lettered radial tires. The dealer replaced the Pontiac and LeMans nameplates with "GTO" badges inside and out. This
dealer-made 1975 GTO could be ordered with any LeMans exterior/interior combination along with any other extra-cost options
available on the regular LeMans.

In 1976, Jim Wangers reportedly presented a LeMans Sport Coupe as a new GTO Judge prototype with a 400 in³ V8 that was painted
Carousel Red to Pontiac division officials as a possible GTO revival to supplement dramatic sales increases for the Firebird Trans
Am (now accounting for 50% of Firebird sales) for those buyers who wanted a sporty performance car but needed a roomier back seat
and larger trunk. However, division officials turned down the idea of an intermediate-sized GTO, but the concept was considered
and approved for production; not as a GTO revival, but as the 1977 Pontiac Can Am.

During the subsequent 30 years, Pontiac considered several plans to revive the GTO nameplate, but none came to fruition. In 1988,
when Oldsmobile planned to create a 442 based on the Cutlass Calais, Pontiac built a prototype GTO based on the Grand Am, equipped
with a Quad 4 engine. The revived 442, introduced for the 1990 model year, proved to be a low seller, leading Pontiac to quietly
cancel the GTO revival.

Japanese automaker Mitsubishi marketed a GTO coupe, although it was sold in U.S. and Canada as the Mitsubishi 3000GT to avoid
legal conflicts with Pontiac. Fans of the original GTO considered the appropriation of a famous muscle car by a Japanese automaker
to be sacrilegious, much as sports car fans of the 1960s had been infuriated by Pontiac borrowing the name of the Ferrari racer.

1999 concept car

During the 1999 Detroit Auto Show, a GTO concept car with a heritage-inspired Coke-bottle shape, grille, and hood scoop, was
introduced to the world. It was only a design experiment and had no engine. The concept never made it into production.

Old March 31st 08, 12:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Eisboch[_1_]

Some pictures of my "Goat":

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	129386  Click image for larger version

Name:	Goat-small.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	129387  Click image for larger version

Name:	gto1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	129388