1961_Sunbeam_Alpine_1.JPG All British Day Brisbane, QLD. AU 247466 bytes

Old September 21st 09, 10:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Ron@newsguy

Default 1961_Sunbeam_Alpine_1.JPG All British Day Brisbane, QLD. AU 247466 bytes

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1961_Sunbeam_Alpine_1.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	186071
Old September 21st 09, 10:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
rob

so who knows the differences between these and a tiger?

Old September 21st 09, 11:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"rob" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> so who knows the differences between these and a tiger?

Engine.

Tiger has a 260ci small block Ford.
--
Pat

Old September 21st 09, 11:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Ron

"rob" > wrote in news:4ab7efec$0$23941
:

> so who knows the differences between these and a tiger?

Leroy maybe able to answer that one.
Externally, the Tiger had a single bar grill.
Old September 22nd 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Max Magister

Basically the difference is this: the Alpine had the 4-cylinder engine
while the first couple of years of the Tiger had a Ford 260 shoehorned into
the front (you had to change at least one of the sparkplugs from under the
dash, through an access panel in the firewall) and in its last year the 289
engine, I believe. That last model dropped the side chrome strip, gained a
cross-hatched grille, and got some chrome trim along the wheel openings and
rocker panel. Then Chrysler bought out the parent company, Rootes, and I
guess they weren't about to market a car with a Ford engine in it, and they
didn't have a small V8 that would fit, so that was the end of the Tiger.
I'm sure there were other modifications, like the addition of traction bars
on the rear axle to keep the wheels on the ground during acceleration,
stiffer front springs and shocks, and possibly also a different transmission
to handle the extra torque. I remember driving a couple of Tigers and being
shocked at the acceleration.

Max

ng.com...

Old September 22nd 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Max Magister

[...]

ng.com...

Old September 22nd 09, 12:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
rob

well yeah that i knew, but i thought maybe there was body work of cosmetic
changes

Old September 22nd 09, 12:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
rob

yeah i worked with a guy in Riverside California that took the 260 out of
his and put in a very "warmed over" 289. took 8 hours to get the engine
in....

Old September 22nd 09, 12:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
rob

i believe that says Tiger on the side of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvMj5LuT5hk

Old September 22nd 09, 01:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Leroy Curtis

In article >, Max Magister
> writes
>Basically the difference is this: the Alpine had the 4-cylinder engine
>while the first couple of years of the Tiger had a Ford 260 shoehorned into
>the front (you had to change at least one of the sparkplugs from under the
>dash, through an access panel in the firewall) and in its last year the 289
>engine, I believe. That last model dropped the side chrome strip, gained a
>cross-hatched grille, and got some chrome trim along the wheel openings and
>rocker panel. Then Chrysler bought out the parent company, Rootes, and I
>guess they weren't about to market a car with a Ford engine in it, and they
>didn't have a small V8 that would fit, so that was the end of the Tiger.
>I'm sure there were other modifications, like the addition of traction bars
>on the rear axle to keep the wheels on the ground during acceleration,
>stiffer front springs and shocks, and possibly also a different transmission
>to handle the extra torque. I remember driving a couple of Tigers and being
>shocked at the acceleration.

That's as good a potted history of the Tiger a one could find. You're
quite right about the chassis, Max; a Panhard rod was added to the
Alpine's rear suspension to curb the severe axle tramp that occurred
under acceleration in the prototype car, built for Rootes by Carroll
Shelby. Naturally, the floorpan and bulkhead had to be modified somewhat
to accommodate the larger engine and gearbox, and the Alpine's worm and
sector steering was jettisoned in favour of a more precise rack and
pinion set-up. The gearbox was the Ford unit as used in the early
Cobras, but AFAICT the rear axle was unmodified apart from a change in
ratio.
--
Regards

Leroy Curtis

Please replace "nospam" with "baram" in my address if you wish to
reply by Email