Dumbest car commercial ever

Old November 16th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Dumbest car commercial ever

223rem wrote:
> Anyone saw the ad pushing the Toyota Avalon
> *solely* on the basis on the 'advanced technology'
> of its rain-sensitive automatic wipers?

One more useless gadget forced on the public at $300 a pop. The auto
industry is one giant conspiracy.

Old November 16th 05, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"223rem" > wrote in message
> Anyone saw the ad pushing the Toyota Avalon
> *solely* on the basis on the 'advanced technology'
> of its rain-sensitive automatic wipers?
>
> Un****ing unbelievably stupid. Who the hell
> chooses a car on the strength of its windshield
> wiper system?!
>
> Why not talk instead about the very strong V6 the top
> of the line Avalon has? Crazy.

In marketing its called product differentiation

plus, i think that automatic wiper tech is nice and is a great safety
addition.. i used to have it on my 04 ES330 - it was also variable, would go
faster the more it rained and faster you drove. something less you need to
worry about...

Old November 16th 05, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dan J.S. wrote:

> plus, i think that automatic wiper tech is nice and is a great safety
> addition..

A great safety addition? Hm... You probably consider dusk
sensing headlights to also be a 'great' safety feature.

IMO, they far from being great features.
Old November 16th 05, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"223rem" > wrote in message
> Dan J.S. wrote:
>
>> plus, i think that automatic wiper tech is nice and is a great safety
>> addition..

> A great safety addition? Hm... You probably consider dusk
> sensing headlights to also be a 'great' safety feature.
>
> IMO, they far from being great features.

Dusk sensors are cool too! I use it all the time. Which way should we go
with technology? forward or backwards?

I believe in 20 years, cars will drive you wherever you want to go. Dusk
sensors, automatic windshield wipers (so you can enjoy the view), and other
technologies will be part of it. Car companies are spending a lot of money
on these advances, so why not allow them to capitalize on some of them
early.

I also have a NAV system in my car that works great! in both the 4runner and
the Sienna.. OEM ones...

Old November 16th 05, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Rain-sensing wipers are advanced? I thought the big ol' Mercedes had
that twenty years or more ago.

Anyway, probably someone in management told them to get a younger crowd
to consider the Avalon (its demographics, last time I checked, were
well up in years) and that's their first idea, playing up the features
that they think might interest well-heeled technophiles.

Hey, if they want to talk about automatic wipers, maybe they could
sponsor a rerun of "The Mists of Avalon."

Ducking and running,
--Joe

Old November 17th 05, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Dan J.S." > wrote in message

> "223rem" > wrote in message
>> Dan J.S. wrote:
>>
>>> plus, i think that automatic wiper tech is nice and is a great safety
>>> addition..

>> A great safety addition? Hm... You probably consider dusk
>> sensing headlights to also be a 'great' safety feature.
>>
>> IMO, they far from being great features.

I agree!

> Dusk sensors are cool too! I use it all the time. Which way should we go
> with technology? forward or backwards?

And I bet you drive around in the fog with your lights out. ALC systems
don't work reliably under many situatiosns when lights are required (which
isn;t just "dusk" or "dark". They never have.

Anything that replaces the drivers neeed to pay attention and further trains
them to not control the functions of the vehicle is going backwards, not
forwards.

> I believe in 20 years, cars will drive you wherever you want to go. Dusk
> sensors, automatic windshield wipers (so you can enjoy the view), and
> other technologies will be part of it. Car companies are spending a lot of
> money on these advances, so why not allow them to capitalize on some of
> them early.

I'm going to puke. Shoot, I just did, all over my keyboard! Quick! We'd
better change the name of this NG to "alt.autos.riding" immediately!

I case you haven't noticed, this is a group for *drivers*, not *riders*.

> I also have a NAV system in my car that works great! in both the 4runner
> and the Sienna.. OEM ones...

And just when I thought I was done puking.

Big discussions within the NHTSA about these devices and creating unsafe
distractions.

Old November 17th 05, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

James C. Reeves wrote:
> "Dan J.S." > wrote in message
> >
> > "223rem" > wrote in message

> >> A great safety addition? Hm... You probably consider dusk
> >> sensing headlights to also be a 'great' safety feature.
> >>
> >> IMO, they far from being great features.

> I agree!
>

> > Dusk sensors are cool too! I use it all the time. Which way should we go
> > with technology? forward or backwards?

> And I bet you drive around in the fog with your lights out. ALC systems
> don't work reliably under many situatiosns when lights are required (which
> isn;t just "dusk" or "dark". They never have.
>
> Anything that replaces the drivers neeed to pay attention and further trains
> them to not control the functions of the vehicle is going backwards, not
> forwards.
>
> > I believe in 20 years, cars will drive you wherever you want to go. Dusk
> > sensors, automatic windshield wipers (so you can enjoy the view), and
> > other technologies will be part of it. Car companies are spending a lot of
> > money on these advances, so why not allow them to capitalize on some of
> > them early.

> I'm going to puke. Shoot, I just did, all over my keyboard! Quick! We'd
> better change the name of this NG to "alt.autos.riding" immediately!
>
> I case you haven't noticed, this is a group for *drivers*, not *riders*.

I am so feeling you there!

> > I also have a NAV system in my car that works great! in both the 4runner
> > and the Sienna.. OEM ones...

> And just when I thought I was done puking.
>
> Big discussions within the NHTSA about these devices and creating unsafe
> distractions.

IMHO there is a time and place for them, but the problem is that while
they can make good drivers safer (by giving them advance warning of
turnoffs etc. in unfamiliar areas) they can also make poor drivers even
more unsafe (by giving those without the sense to know when they can
mess with gadgets and when they need to be 100% concentrating on the
road yet another distracting toy to play with.)

nate

Old November 17th 05, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article <a3Jef.543649$x96.460850@attbi_s72>,
223rem > wrote:

>Why would any manufacturer mock its own cars
>in an ad that tries to *sell* the car?
>It makes no sense.

David Leisure made a name for himself doing so in Isuzu ads.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 17th 05, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem was motivated to say this in rec.autos.driving on Wed, 16 Nov
2005 07:02:04 GMT:
> Anyone saw the ad pushing the Toyota Avalon
> *solely* on the basis on the 'advanced technology'
> of its rain-sensitive automatic wipers?
>
> Un****ing unbelievably stupid. Who the hell
> chooses a car on the strength of its windshield
> wiper system?!
>
> Why not talk instead about the very strong V6 the top
> of the line Avalon has? Crazy.

I like the part where they go on about the 1/5 second saved by not
having to reach for the wiper switch. Like that is going to get you to
your destination any faster. Just ho dumb does this ad agency think
Toyota drivers are?

--
necromancer
Old November 17th 05, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:
> Anyone saw the ad pushing the Toyota Avalon
> *solely* on the basis on the 'advanced technology'
> of its rain-sensitive automatic wipers?
>
> Un****ing unbelievably stupid. Who the hell
> chooses a car on the strength of its windshield
> wiper system?!

They are making fun of themselves in that ad. They talk about all the
things you can do with the 2/10 of a second that you'll save turning on
your windsheild wipers.

Silverstar commercial Bill the second Driving 7 February 8th 05 05:20 PM
1968 Ford Mustang commercial Markansas Ford Mustang 0 February 5th 05 09:06 AM
FA: Buick 1932 Commercial Movie Script Signed F.A. Bowers Vishanti Antique cars 0 December 19th 04 07:21 PM
C-6 commercial Rufio Corvette 0 August 17th 04 04:42 PM
C6 Commercial DEI Corvette 6 August 16th 04 11:09 PM