Great Advantages of a Hydrogen Generator For Car

Old August 26th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
virig[_2_] virig[_2_] is offline
Banned

Default Great Advantages of a Hydrogen Generator For Car

Alternative energy vehicles such as hydrogen powered cars and electric
powered cars are expensive.
http://carwithwater.googlepages.com/..._generator_car
Old August 26th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 26, 3:16*am, virig > wrote:
> Alternative energy vehicles such as hydrogen powered cars and electric
> powered cars are expensive.http://carwithwater.googlepages.com/..._generator_car

There is no reason for a hydrogen burning car to be expensive.
Conversion is only a little harder than converting to LNG, and is a
very similar conversion. IC engines burn hydrogen fine with a little
work.
Old August 26th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Aug 26, 6:28�am, Don Stauffer in Minnesota >
wrote:
> On Aug 26, 3:16�am, virig > wrote:
>
> > Alternative energy vehicles such as hydrogen powered cars and electric
> > powered cars are expensive.http://carwithwater.googlepages.com/..._generator_car

> There is no reason for a hydrogen burning car to be expensive.
> Conversion is only a little harder than converting to LNG, and is a
> very similar conversion. IC engines burn hydrogen fine with a little
> work.

Don, how do you propose to get fuel injectors to work with hydrogen
inexpensively?
Engineman
Old August 27th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

myth busters showed its possible to run a car on hydrogen in a garage
just by feeding hydrogen into the carburator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEkV-E0mP8
Old August 27th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 26, 11:09*am, " > wrote:
> On Aug 26, 6:28 am, Don Stauffer in Minnesota >
> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 26, 3:16 am, virig > wrote:

> > > Alternative energy vehicles such as hydrogen powered cars and electric
> > > powered cars are expensive.http://carwithwater.googlepages.com/..._generator_car

> > There is no reason for a hydrogen burning car to be expensive.
> > Conversion is only a little harder than converting to LNG, and is a
> > very similar conversion. IC engines burn hydrogen fine with a little
> > work.

> Don, how do you propose to get fuel injectors to work with hydrogen
> inexpensively?
> Engineman

Don't know. What do these NG conversions do. Are they only for
carbureted cars? Seems to me I have seen more modern cars fitted with
NG. My point is, if you can convert a car for NG or propane, you can,
with only a little more work, make it work with hydrogen. People have
been making hydrogen conversions for decades.

Old August 27th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>myth busters showed its possible to run a car on hydrogen in a garage
>just by feeding hydrogen into the carburator.

Yes. It's also possible to blow yourself up easily if you don't get
the mixture right.

Somewhat swankier versions of this principle have been used for decades
to run engines off of methane and natural gas. For years, Carrier sold
commercial air conditioning units that used a Briggs and Stratton engine
modified to run off natural gas.
--scott
Old August 28th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King[_2_]

wrote:
> On Aug 26, 3:16?am, virig > wrote:
>
> > Alternative energy vehicles such as hydrogen powered cars and electric
> > powered cars are
> > expensive.http://carwithwater.googlepages.com/..._generator_car

> There is no reason for a hydrogen burning car to be expensive.
> Conversion is only a little harder than converting to LNG, and is a
> very similar conversion. IC engines burn hydrogen fine with a little
> work.

Don, how do you propose to get fuel injectors to work with hydrogen
inexpensively?
Engineman

Hydrogen does not need the fuel pressure, that gasoline does to atomize.

Hydrogen is gaseous, and therefore exits the injectors in a gas form. The
problem with hydrogen is that: it will burn in an environment of 5% oxygen
or an environment of 95% oxygen.

Therefore, you need to regulate the amount of hydrogen, whether bought in
tanks at a welding supply, or if generated as oxygenated hydrogen from
water.

I've popped several tope ends, as I was learning to run the car with
hydrogen only, as a fuel source. There is a way to generate oxygenated
hydrogen in volume, to run a car with it as a primary fuel source. There is
a trade off in mileage, but who cares when water is at most $.10 per gallon.

Good luck,

RK

Old August 28th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

> wrote in message
> myth busters showed its possible to run a car on hydrogen in a garage
> just by feeding hydrogen into the carburator.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEkV-E0mP8

Mythbusters indeed showed that cylinder hydrogen would burn easily in a
conventional engine, but they did not have fine controls, and this would not
have
run long this way.

The home electrolysis units, or the items that supposedly run off alternator
"excess"
are just scams. Mythbusters also tried them, as did Popular Mechanics

Lets combine our acronyms and say that LNG, methane, propane, etc are all
going to
be described as LG (liquified gas)

There ARE systems available for LG, for fuel injected cars. There are
technical
problems to be addressed, but this is real and current technology. You can
even use
a compressor to take natural gas from your home pipes and compress it into
LG in
your car's LG storage tank. Boone Pickens does it. It is not as simple and
cheap as the
old natural gas conversion units, but can be done, and once amortized, works
well.

I have run lawn mowers off compressed propane from a soldering torch, just
by being careful
to meter in a compatible volume of gas into the carburetor.

Gas, liquified at home, runs on the order of a dollar and some cents per
gallon.

Old August 29th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 28, 10:56*am, "HLS" > wrote:

> There ARE systems available for LG, for fuel injected cars. *There are
> technical
> problems to be addressed, but this is real and current technology. *You can
> even use
> a compressor to take natural gas from your home pipes and compress it into
> LG in
> your car's LG storage tank. *Boone Pickens does it. *It is not as simple and
> cheap as the
> old natural gas conversion units, but can be done, and once amortized, works
> well.
>
> I have run lawn mowers off compressed propane from a soldering torch, just
> by being careful
> to meter in a compatible volume of gas into the carburetor.
>
> Gas, liquified at home, runs on the order of a dollar and some cents per
> gallon.

Pickens says natural gas is plentiful. But I heat my house with NG.
Every year the price goes up. This fall it is over 50% higher than
this time last year. If it is so plentiful why is it so expensive? If
more people use it in vehicles, I am afraid I won't be able to heat my
home.

Also, compressed NG has range limitations. Does an LNG setup have
boil-off problems? If I let the car sit in the garage for a week, do I
loose gas?
Old August 30th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

As I understand it, the range is limited by the fuel storage container.
You CAN contain LG, just as you can contain gasoline lights.

Natural gas is plentiful just now, but that does not equate to it being
cheap. Gasoline is in an unnaturally expensive mode just now.

There is no free lunch.

Natural gas may be cheaper for the moment, but do not count on it for
the future. We have bigger fish waiting to fry us.

I am sure you know exactly what I mean.