C5 Questions

Old August 30th 04, 04:36 PM
Gerd Henjes

C5Guy... I agree with you 100% that the runflats are noisy and rude... but
there aren't too many of us going to throw away a new set of tires. I just
love the Goodyear Supercar tires on my '04 Z-06... only wish I could have
had them on my '97, which I sold in March still with the original runcraps.

Gerd

Old August 30th 04, 05:12 PM
C5Guy

Gerd,

i agree that throwing away a set of perfectly good tyres as, well, stupid
but when the time comes but my RFs only lasted 20,000 miles anyway....and
that was taking it easy.....IMHO the compound and construction is just too
hard to last out any real distance especially if you are a "energetic"
driver.

C:>

. ..

Old August 30th 04, 05:12 PM
C5Guy

Old August 31st 04, 12:45 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

Dad > wrote in message
> I put these on my '98 and it did wonders for it, thought the Hotchkiss

were

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...ber=Z06STABKIT
> You will love the C5 with non runflats. Also have the Corsa, X pipe, and

K&M
> air filter but can't really say it created much HP.
> --
> Dad
> 04 C5 CE Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd

These look good, and I like the pricing. Thanks.

Old August 31st 04, 12:45 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

Old August 31st 04, 01:14 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

Gerd Henjes > wrote in message
.. .
> Larry...
>
> Whoever you were talking to about your new C5 was a complete moron.

Probably because it was my Viper Tech.....

> It's a Blackwing airfilter, probably good for 10 h.p.

I'm the moron on that one. I got the name wrong. But I think he said
that the Nightwing and the Corsa together were good for about 20 hp, give or
take,
and the "chip" for another 20 (apparently there is no "chip")

> There are no chips for these cars going back to '97. You need to have a
> tuner upload a revised tune to the cars computer flashram.

Is there any physical difference in the Z06 (LS-6?) vs. 04 Coupe (LS-1?)
or is it the programming on the flashram? And are there any downsides to
engine longevity (akin to running nitrous too long for example) that comes
from the revised tune?

> Leave the sway bars alone. If you really just have to spend the money get
> the Z-06 bars and shocks.

I'm not looking to spend money needlessly, but will spend it for results.
My 96 Viper (now replaced by my 04 Corvette) handled corners on a much
flatter bias, with no roll, or sway. I notice my on my stock suspension 04
Coupe that there is some lean and sway on esses, even in local mountains
(haven't had it on the track yet). I'd like to cure that. I notice that
my test drive of the Z06 did not yield the same sense of "looseness" (if
you will). So I'm trying to tighten up transient response on the esses,
without loadingn up the springs too much, and keeping a flat aspect to the
chassis in cornering. But I'm not looking to degrade the ride a dramatic
amount, and I don't want to completely lose compliance on bumpy roads. I
figured the best approach was to stay with soft coils and shocks, and add
heavier anti-sway bars. But as you can tell, other than a couple of track
classes, I'm pretty much a novice on suspension response, and I have no
knowledge of how to best set up suspensions. I do know enough to worry
that wholesale changes, without adjustments to camber and toe-in, may worsen
the handling, rather than improve it. My Viper guy did lower the rear end
3/4 of an inch, and the front 1/2 inch, but I don't really notice a
difference in just that change.

> I got 27k from my runflats on my '97, why would I throw that use away...
>
> oh, I forget you've got money to burn and bought the C-5 over the C-6,

yeah
> right.

In my post, I said I'd make the change at 15,000 miles on the new tires.
I owned a 99 C5 Convertible for 2.5 years, and I noticed that I got
approximately 22,000 miles from the run flats. I figure that at 15,000
miles, the usability of the tire measured against the increased road noise
is at a point where I'm getting enough bang for the buck that I'm not
throwing away money.

I bought the C-5 over the C-6 for a combination of reasons. I was # 1 on
the waiting list (for about 11 months, or from the first rumor of a C6
hitting popular magazines) for the C-6 Convertible. But when my dealer
called for me to come in and fill out the order sheet, there were many
photographs of the new C6 already circulating, and an interview with Phil
Hill in which he commented that the C6 was going to fix the problems with
the C-5. They were basically these:

1. Better looking interior ---- I have a Black C5, so I LIKE the
completely black interior better than plastic colored to look like aluminum.

2. Less exhaust sound in the interior --- Everything is quieter than a no-
cat 96 Viper. I want MORE noise, not less.

3. Less noise in general with more sound deadening insulation --- again,
this is my sports car. I have a sedan for when I want things quiet.

4. Five inches shorter, and one inch narrow for better European
acceptance -- I've owned a 77, 81 and 82 Porsche 911. I LIKE the GT sizing
of the C5. I'm not looking to downsize.

5. Better quality illumination without the expense of pop-up headlights --
unless I'm mistaken the C5 is the last modern sports car to have the pop up
headlights, and most of my driviing is done during hours that there is
sunlight. I really like the pop ups (and hope they will work for a long
time). This was a major style change that I prefer in the C-5 over the C-6
at least currently. I'm sure that like Ferrari and Viper, I'll get used to
the new headlamps, and wonder what I ever liked about pop ups at some point
in time.

But now that you mention MONEY, my dealer wanted to place a mark up ABOVE
MSRP for the first several Coupes and Convertible C6s that came into the
dealership. They wanted $10,000, but were willing to extend a lower mark up
to repeat purchasers, such as myself. But not as low as MSRP for the
initiial round of deliveries. I don't begrudge them wanting to make money.
But on the other side of the equation, my car was built on June 21, 2004,
and they were willing to sell that for $9,000 UNDER MSRP, even without the
GM loyalty rebate which I didn't qualify for. To be able to drive a brand
new Vette out the door for essentially the same price as I was selling my 96
Viper for, and save at least $11,000 over the C-6, and possibly more like
$19,000 (1 SB, Q55, Manual coupe vs. C6 Convertible I was waiting for) WAS
very compelling. I don't equate leaving some rubber on tires I remove with
walking away from tens of thousands of dollars.

I may be sorry to have chased the savings when I start seeing C6s on the
street, and I'm not in one of them, but I can't help but think I can chase
fairly equivalent performance for a lot less money.

Regards,
Larry

Old August 31st 04, 01:14 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

Old August 31st 04, 01:15 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

C5Guy > wrote in message

> >.....change the tires out
> > in about 15,000 miles to either the C6 run flats or something in a non
> > runflat.

> I changed mine for Mich. Pilot Sports.....when I drove the car home, I
> thought they'de given me the wrong car....the ride was smooth, quite, and
> the handling was way up....mind you, the old runflats were a bit "slick"
>
> C:>

Thanks, I'll take a look at them. I assume you purchased a plug kit and a
portable compressor?

Old August 31st 04, 01:15 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

Old August 31st 04, 01:17 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

Gerd Henjes > wrote in message
. ..
> C5Guy... I agree with you 100% that the runflats are noisy and rude... but
> there aren't too many of us going to throw away a new set of tires. I just
> love the Goodyear Supercar tires on my '04 Z-06... only wish I could have
> had them on my '97, which I sold in March still with the original

runcraps.

> Gerd

I think you might have missed the part of my post that said I would change
the tires out at 15,000 miles, not new. I can see where you might think I
was throwing around money if you felt I was throwing away new tires. I'm
not. Based on my 99 C5 Convertible, I get about 22,000 miles max from the
stock tires (don't know how much they've changed) and the story I get is
that the unlikeable noise from the run flats, and rough ride starts to
become annoying at about 1/2 of the tread of the runflats.

Larry