HELP! FUSE QUESTION!!!!!

Old January 22nd 05, 03:57 AM
69vwdude

Default HELP! FUSE QUESTION!!!!!

i have a 1969 vw bug, stock 1600cc single port engine. when i shift into
reverse, the number 1 fuse goes out, which is the ignition fuse. wut is
wrong? any ideas to fix it?

Old January 22nd 05, 03:05 PM
Speedy Jim

69vwdude wrote:
> i have a 1969 vw bug, stock 1600cc single port engine. when i shift into
> reverse, the number 1 fuse goes out, which is the ignition fuse. wut is
> wrong? any ideas to fix it?

Your car has been tampered with.
There is _no_ fuse for the Ignition.

Somebody has gotten the wiring to the fuse block
switched around. While the Blk wire from the Ignition
switch *does* go to the fuse block, it simply goes to
a brass jumper and back into the Main harness on the
way to the Coil. The fuses in position #1 and #2
feed the horn, turn signals, brake lights, wiper.

Go to:
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html
and download the diagram for:
1970 1600 USA de
(That will be closest to yours)

The other folks are probably right about
a short in the wiring for the backup lights.

After you find the short, look on my web site for:
" How to wire the carb (choke and solenoid) to the coil."
for the details of the Backup Light wiring in the engine bay.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old January 23rd 05, 02:28 AM
MUADIB®

Great theft deterrent.

Sounds to me like somebody has wired the car wrong.

reversed the wiring to the coil.

something of that nature.....and connected the Backup light wire to
the wrong side of the coil.

I am quite sure this has been discussed before for some reason as a
"Do not do this" type of discussion.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old January 23rd 05, 03:29 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

> Great theft deterrent.
>
> Sounds to me like somebody has wired the car wrong.
>
> reversed the wiring to the coil.
>
> something of that nature.....and connected the Backup light wire to
> the wrong side of the coil.

Usually that would just kill the engine without blowing a fuse AFAIK.

> I am quite sure this has been discussed before for some reason as a
> "Do not do this" type of discussion.

Yes the ign wire to the coil should not have a fuse, but I have seen that
before. Esp. when there was a wiring problem that caused the wires to burn
up previously.

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old January 23rd 05, 03:51 AM
Jim Adney

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:57:25 -0500 "69vwdude"
> wrote:

>i have a 1969 vw bug, stock 1600cc single port engine. when i shift into
>reverse, the number 1 fuse goes out, which is the ignition fuse. wut is
>wrong? any ideas to fix it?

I didn't think that VW ever ran the ignition thru any fuse. The backup
light SHOULD have its own fuse in an inline holder next to the coil.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA