difficulty shifting bus

Old February 21st 05, 12:14 PM
phillawlor

Default difficulty shifting bus

My 76 Westy is having difficulty shifting, especially into reverse. The
clutch normally does go to the floor, I'd like to tighten the cable is it
in the same place as a bug?

Article posted with MyNewsGroups
http://mynewsgroups.sourceforge.net
Share your knowledge in... rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Old February 21st 05, 03:41 PM
phillawlor

Oh no, you are scaring me...yes reverse is the main culprit right now. I
can get into reverse if I do that while the engine isn't running, but it
will grind after i have been using other gears.

Old February 21st 05, 04:49 PM
Speedy Jim

phillawlor wrote:
> Oh no, you are scaring me...yes reverse is the main culprit right now. I
> can get into reverse if I do that while the engine isn't running, but it
> will grind after i have been using other gears.

Then adjustment *may* help. You should have ~ 1" of free play
at the top of the pedal after adjustment.

A Caution note: A clutch cable that needs much adjustment often
means that the cable is stretching and getting ready to break.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old February 22nd 05, 01:55 AM
phillawlor

OK, I'll keep that in mind and have a spare ready to go.

Old March 13th 05, 03:21 AM
mez

In article .com>,
Speedy Jim > wrote:

> phillawlor wrote:
> > Oh no, you are scaring me...yes reverse is the main culprit right now. I
> > can get into reverse if I do that while the engine isn't running, but it
> > will grind after i have been using other gears.

> Then adjustment *may* help. You should have ~ 1" of free play
> at the top of the pedal after adjustment.
>
> A Caution note: A clutch cable that needs much adjustment often
> means that the cable is stretching and getting ready to break.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

I thought I had a problem with the cable on my Squareback. I tightened
it, but I needed to tighten it again and eventually I realized the
problem was the clutch pedal assembly when the portion of said assembly
which attached to the cable broke off. I had to replace it on the street
in front of some friends' house (a busy residential street 1 block from
the main college student shopping/eating/partying area).

Replacing the cable or pedal assembly solo (my friends weren't home by
the time I returned with the parts) is very difficult as one really
needs one end held whilst the other is attached.