Buying a 147... advice needed asap.. thanks

Old December 9th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
topgooner71

Default Buying a 147... advice needed asap.. thanks

Hi everyone. Ex 147 owner here. Had her written off a few months ago.
Saw a 147 at a dealer today. (Not an alfa dealer).

2001 (51)
1.6
5 door
Cloth seats.
18,000 MILES....! (eighteen)
£4995.
It is a Turismo, and not Lusso....(my last one was a lusso)

OK, my questions a
is it possible that the mileage could have been 'clocked' not even sure
it is possible these days...It certainly seems really new and
clean..(nothing a good valet couldnt have sorted though)

What is missing from the Turismo, that is on a Lusso?

The dials were WHITE....what's that about.. ? (import?)

here is a pic of it..
http://picasaweb.google.com/charlie71/Alfa

Want to buy it on Monday if all is OK with it... So any swift advice
will be appreciated.
thanks

Charlie
Old December 9th 06, 08:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

topgooner71 > wrote:

> Hi everyone. Ex 147 owner here. Had her written off a few months ago.
> Saw a 147 at a dealer today. (Not an alfa dealer).
>
> 2001 (51)
> 1.6
> 5 door
> Cloth seats.
> 18,000 MILES....! (eighteen)
> £4995.
> It is a Turismo, and not Lusso....(my last one was a lusso)
>
> OK, my questions a
> is it possible that the mileage could have been 'clocked' not even sure
> it is possible these days...It certainly seems really new and
> clean..(nothing a good valet couldnt have sorted though)

It's actually easier to clock a modern car - all you need is a laptop
and the right software.

However, it's not all that common for cars to be clocked.

> What is missing from the Turismo, that is on a Lusso?

Can't help with that one. I think it's mainly minor trim differences.

ie. cloth rather than velour seats, possibly wood trim.

> The dials were WHITE....what's that about.. ? (import?)

Not sure. I think they're standard on the Turismo - which is marketed as
being more 'sporty' than the Lusso.

> here is a pic of it..
> http://picasaweb.google.com/charlie71/Alfa
>
> Want to buy it on Monday if all is OK with it... So any swift advice
> will be appreciated.
> thanks

Get enough money knocked off for a cambelt change - it's not due on the
mileage (recommended is 48k miles), but it's overdue on age (Recommended
is 3-4 years) - so you need around 500 quid off that price or the belt
change being done before you buy it.

Seems like a reasonable, but not great price. If you're planning on
keeping it for several years, the mileage makes it a decent purchase,
though.

Personally, I think 156s offer much better value for money, as well as
looking better. However, it's all down to personal preference.

What would really put me off the 147 is that it's only a 1.6 which
struggles to haul the weight of a modern car around.

Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old December 9th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
John, UK.

topgooner71 wrote:
> Hi everyone. Ex 147 owner here. Had her written off a few months ago.
> Saw a 147 at a dealer today. (Not an alfa dealer).
>
> 2001 (51)
> 1.6
> 5 door
> Cloth seats.
> 18,000 MILES....! (eighteen)
> £4995.

About right if it were a Lusso, try £500 less for turismo.

> It is a Turismo, and not Lusso....(my last one was a lusso)
>
> OK, my questions a
> is it possible that the mileage could have been 'clocked' not even sure
> it is possible these days..

I'm sure there is a way, but mine is an 02 with just over 15k.

..It certainly seems really new and
> clean..(nothing a good valet couldnt have sorted though)
>

> What is missing from the Turismo, that is on a Lusso?

arm rest between seats.
Automatic dual zone climate control.
Elegant alloy wheels, but I see this one has had them fitted by last
owner.
cruise control.
6 disc CD player. Imports can have a 10 CD stack as mine has.
Remote audio controls on steering wheel
5 door has electric windows front and rear.

> The dials were WHITE....what's that about.. ? (import?)

Nothing to do with imports. anyway I have an import [imported through
Ireland] and I have not found any dealer who could point out any
difference, apart from the small Lusso badge's on the bottom of the
front wings. I fitted my own.The only thing I have found, was that the
dealers were a bit sorry that they didn't get my order, and may be it
was because I saved £2600 by getting it through an independant Ex Alfa
dealer.

> here is a pic of it..
> http://picasaweb.google.com/charlie71/Alfa

Looks ok.

> Want to buy it on Monday if all is OK with it... So any swift advice
> will be appreciated.
> thanks

Charlie

Just make sure everything works as it should. [no warning lights ect.]
get the engine hot.
and listen for rattle's near the cambelt side.
It's now 5 years old, so cambelts should be changed regardless of the
18k miles.
remember this is an approx £400 job.
Try it out on a bumpy road and listen for knocking from front and back
suspension.
And make sure the gear lever changes smoothly.
Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

John, UK.

Old December 9th 06, 09:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
John, UK.

SteveH wrote:
> topgooner71 > wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone. Ex 147 owner here. Had her written off a few months ago.
> > Saw a 147 at a dealer today. (Not an alfa dealer).
> >
> > 2001 (51)
> > 1.6
> > 5 door
> > Cloth seats.
> > 18,000 MILES....! (eighteen)
> > £4995.
> > It is a Turismo, and not Lusso....(my last one was a lusso)
> >
> > OK, my questions a
> > is it possible that the mileage could have been 'clocked' not even sure
> > it is possible these days...It certainly seems really new and
> > clean..(nothing a good valet couldnt have sorted though)

> It's actually easier to clock a modern car - all you need is a laptop
> and the right software.
>
> However, it's not all that common for cars to be clocked.
>
> > What is missing from the Turismo, that is on a Lusso?

> Can't help with that one. I think it's mainly minor trim differences.
>
> ie. cloth rather than velour seats, possibly wood trim.
>
> > The dials were WHITE....what's that about.. ? (import?)

> Not sure. I think they're standard on the Turismo - which is marketed as
> being more 'sporty' than the Lusso.
>
> > here is a pic of it..
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/charlie71/Alfa
> >
> > Want to buy it on Monday if all is OK with it... So any swift advice
> > will be appreciated.
> > thanks

> Get enough money knocked off for a cambelt change - it's not due on the
> mileage (recommended is 48k miles), but it's overdue on age (Recommended
> is 3-4 years) - so you need around 500 quid off that price or the belt
> change being done before you buy it.
>
> Seems like a reasonable, but not great price. If you're planning on
> keeping it for several years, the mileage makes it a decent purchase,
> though.
>
> Personally, I think 156s offer much better value for money, as well as
> looking better. However, it's all down to personal preference.
>
> What would really put me off the 147 is that it's only a 1.6 which
> struggles to haul the weight of a modern car around.

> Hi Steve,
> I find the 1.6 ltr. is a little heavy from a standstill compared to my son's 2.0 ltr

but when running around towns in traffic it doesn't make much
difference which type of car you drive.
But I find on a run where you can get going it pulls great from 65mph
upwards to +100mph.
I ran with a M3 BMW at 120mph, and he could have went a lot faster than
me, but traffic and conditions meant his extra speed was a waste of
time.
And when you think about it, how often do you go that fast anyway?

John,UK.

Old December 9th 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

John, UK. > wrote:

> Hi Steve,
> I find the 1.6 ltr. is a little heavy from a standstill compared to my
> son's 2.0 ltr but when running around towns in traffic it doesn't make
> much difference which type of car you drive. But I find on a run where you
> can get going it pulls great from 65mph upwards to +100mph. I ran with a
> M3 BMW at 120mph, and he could have went a lot faster than me, but traffic
> and conditions meant his extra speed was a waste of time. And when you
> think about it, how often do you go that fast anyway?

I generally have a rule of 'not less than 150bhp' these days - although
my company shed is a bit less at 138bhp, but it's a diesel, so it has
the torque anyway.

The 1.6 and 2.0 engines are very different - the 2.0 is a lot smoother
as it has a balancer shaft plus the variable timing seems to work much
better on the 2.0 - they have loads of low-down grunt in comparison with
the 1.8 which has similar peak power.

The 1.6 is OK if you want to rev it everywhere, but the 2.0 is more
relaxing when you're being lazy.
Old December 9th 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
topgooner71

John, UK. wrote:
> topgooner71 wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone. Ex 147 owner here. Had her written off a few months ago.
>>Saw a 147 at a dealer today. (Not an alfa dealer).
>>
>>2001 (51)
>>1.6
>>5 door
>>Cloth seats.
>>18,000 MILES....! (eighteen)
>>£4995.

> About right if it were a Lusso, try £500 less for turismo.
>

>>It is a Turismo, and not Lusso....(my last one was a lusso)
>>
>>OK, my questions a
>>is it possible that the mileage could have been 'clocked' not even sure
>>it is possible these days..

> I'm sure there is a way, but mine is an 02 with just over 15k.
>
> .It certainly seems really new and
>
>>clean..(nothing a good valet couldnt have sorted though)
>>

>>What is missing from the Turismo, that is on a Lusso?

> arm rest between seats.
> Automatic dual zone climate control.
> Elegant alloy wheels, but I see this one has had them fitted by last
> owner.
> cruise control.
> 6 disc CD player. Imports can have a 10 CD stack as mine has.
> Remote audio controls on steering wheel
> 5 door has electric windows front and rear.
>

>>The dials were WHITE....what's that about.. ? (import?)

> Nothing to do with imports. anyway I have an import [imported through
> Ireland] and I have not found any dealer who could point out any
> difference, apart from the small Lusso badge's on the bottom of the
> front wings. I fitted my own.The only thing I have found, was that the
> dealers were a bit sorry that they didn't get my order, and may be it
> was because I saved £2600 by getting it through an independant Ex Alfa
> dealer.
>

>>here is a pic of it..
>>http://picasaweb.google.com/charlie71/Alfa

> Looks ok.
>
>>Want to buy it on Monday if all is OK with it... So any swift advice
>>will be appreciated.
>>thanks

> Charlie
>
> Just make sure everything works as it should. [no warning lights ect.]
> get the engine hot.
> and listen for rattle's near the cambelt side.
> It's now 5 years old, so cambelts should be changed regardless of the
> 18k miles.
> remember this is an approx £400 job.
> Try it out on a bumpy road and listen for knocking from front and back
> suspension.
> And make sure the gear lever changes smoothly.
> Good luck and hope all goes well for you.
>
> John, UK.

Thanks both.
It had an armrest, and cruise control too ,100% with the wheels I
suspect it IS a Lusso in that case, and the insurance website I typed
the reg into wrongly called it a Turismo.

I owned a 147 1.6 for 2 years previously, and was happy with the engine,
so not too worried about that.

I do agree about the 156, but the other half will be driving it a fair
bit too, and she much prefers the 147. I'm happy with 'compromising'
with a 147 instead of a 156 rather than the peugeot 206 she wanted...!

I can get the cambelt changed for £200, so will get that taken off the
price, or get them to do it there.

thanks again.

Charlie
Old December 12th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Martyn

topgooner71 wrote:
> [...]

> > remember this is an approx £400 job.
> > Try it out on a bumpy road and listen for knocking from front and back
> > suspension.
> > And make sure the gear lever changes smoothly.
> > Good luck and hope all goes well for you.
> >
> > John, UK.
> >

> Thanks both.
> It had an armrest, and cruise control too ,100% with the wheels I
> suspect it IS a Lusso in that case, and the insurance website I typed
> the reg into wrongly called it a Turismo.
>
> I owned a 147 1.6 for 2 years previously, and was happy with the engine,
> so not too worried about that.
>
> I do agree about the 156, but the other half will be driving it a fair
> bit too, and she much prefers the 147. I'm happy with 'compromising'
> with a 147 instead of a 156 rather than the peugeot 206 she wanted...!
>
> I can get the cambelt changed for £200, so will get that taken off the

Hi Charlie,
Please not everyone is clocker, I bought my lovely 156 2.0TS Sportwagon
voloce brand new
in 2001 it is a 51 plate and so far it has only been driven 9200 miles,
used weekends when it is dry. So some are genuine check Mots etc and
general condition.
Regards Martyn

Old December 12th 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Pete[_1_]

On 11 Dec 2006 18:03:03 -0800, "Martyn" >,
wrote:

>Hi Charlie,
>Please not everyone is clocker, I bought my lovely 156 2.0TS Sportwagon
>voloce brand new
>in 2001 it is a 51 plate and so far it has only been driven 9200 miles,
>used weekends when it is dry. So some are genuine check Mots etc and
>general condition.
>Regards Martyn

Shame that you could not be as conservative with your quoting <G>

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old December 13th 06, 12:41 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Martyn

Pete wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2006 18:03:03 -0800, "Martyn" >,
> wrote:
>

> >Hi Charlie,
> >Please not everyone is clocker, I bought my lovely 156 2.0TS Sportwagon
> >voloce brand new
> >in 2001 it is a 51 plate and so far it has only been driven 9200 miles,
> >used weekends when it is dry. So some are genuine check Mots etc and
> >general condition.
> >Regards Martyn

> Shame that you could not be as conservative with your quoting <G>
>
> Pete
> --
> >
> 156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso

Hello Pete,
Sorry I do not understand your comment re "shame that you could not be
as conservative with your quotes" What quotes ? I am lost here trying
to understand what you are talking about
The point of your remark is what exactly ?
martyn

Old December 14th 06, 07:12 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Rickard

Martyn wrote:

>> Shame that you could not be as conservative with your quoting <G>

> Hello Pete,
> Sorry I do not understand your comment re "shame that you could not be
> as conservative with your quotes" What quotes ? I am lost here trying
> to understand what you are talking about
> The point of your remark is what exactly ?

Guidance on quoting other posts in a thread on a newsgroup can be found
here (amongst others):

http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette/

It just makes it a lot easier for others to follow

I hope this helps
Tony

Odd leakdown test, good compression, advice needed devnull Technology 5 April 14th 06 11:50 PM
Advice needed replacing A3 brakerotors and strut mounts. [email protected] VW water cooled 5 October 22nd 04 05:14 PM
advice on buying an A4 adam Audi 1 July 20th 04 05:43 PM
Early GTV: Buying Advice Simon C Alfa Romeo 2 June 29th 04 09:20 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM