The dreaded 156 comes back tomorrow

Old November 26th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

Default The dreaded 156 comes back tomorrow

A follow up to anyone who remembers my previous postings..

After looking into the price of a replacement/recon engine I decided to have
work done on the existing engine.

Another piston was fooked so the oil pump was considered suspect.

The engine is at the engineers having the block lime bored, a new oil pump,
full set of new rings and new shells.
This is all being done for £600 hence my deciding to give it a go.

I am hoping to get it back tomorrow.

Fingers crossed eh?

Rick

Old November 29th 06, 05:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
gazza82

£600 is a very good price .... run it in nicely and it should last
several thousand miles!!

Old November 29th 06, 06:51 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"gazza82" > wrote in message
oups.com...
£600 is a very good price .... run it in nicely and it should last
several thousand miles!!
-------

You'd think, we will see.

I haven't got it yet though, Alfa are dragging their feet supplying an oil
pump.

Old November 29th 06, 08:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
alfistagj

R D S wrote:

> A follow up to anyone who remembers my previous postings..

> Another piston was fooked so the oil pump was considered suspect.
>
> The engine is at the engineers having the block lime bored, a new oil
> pump,
> Rick

Rick,
Just one question.
What caused the oil pump to fail??
To be honest, Alfa's oil pumps are bombproof, so something else is
absolutely the cause.
Find that cause or you'll end up destoying the next pump, and the next one,
and the next one .....
--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)

Old November 29th 06, 08:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"alfistagj" > wrote in message
. ..

> R D S wrote:
>
>> A follow up to anyone who remembers my previous postings..

>> Another piston was fooked so the oil pump was considered suspect.
>>
>> The engine is at the engineers having the block lime bored, a new oil
>> pump,
>> Rick

> Rick,
> Just one question.
> What caused the oil pump to fail??
> To be honest, Alfa's oil pumps are bombproof, so something else is
> absolutely the cause.
> Find that cause or you'll end up destoying the next pump, and the next
> one, and the next one .....

Given the amount* of oil that this thing has burned since I was unfortunate
enough to spot it and buy it on Ebay I would guess that it was just
generally badly worn. Probably from not getting enough oil.

I pity the poor mechanic who I took it to when it first failed, it is
probably wearing him down as much as it is me.

*I know they burn lots of oil but I have put 7 x 5 litre cans in it since
April, do about 150 miles per week max, and it has been off the road for
about 25% of the time.

Rick

Old December 1st 06, 09:03 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Plucked from my inbox....

>> Given the amount of oil that this thing has burned since I was
>> unfortunate enough to spot it and buy it on Ebay I would guess

>Why do I hate the word "guess"??

>> that it was just generally badly worn. Probably

>"probably" a word just like "guess". I hate the word.
>Be sure, don't accept "probably", get the job done correctly.

Its having pistons/rings/bearings/shells/bores and an oil pump. What
else would you do to get the job done properly?

'Guess' and 'Probably', you may have guessed by now that I am probably
not a mechanic, or an engineer.
Hence the use of the words.

>> from not getting enough oil.
>> I pity the poor mechanic who I took it to when it first failed, it is
>> probably

>should I repeat myself??????

>> wearing him down as much as it is me.
>> *I know they burn lots of oil

>who tried to make you believe that????

Err, do you read this group?

>Properly maintaned angines di not burn oil!!!!

Should I repeat myself??????

>> but I have put 7 x 5 litre cans in it since April, do about 150 miles per
>> week max, and it has been off the road for about 25% of the time.
>>
>> Rick
>>

>Can't surpress the feeling you'll be in trouble again shortly.
>Therefor "Good luck" (oh how do I hate the word "luck".........)

Well here's another word you may take exception to, 'hope'

>--
>Ciao from The Netherlands
>alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)
>GT 2.0 JTS (2005)
>Montreal 2.6V8 (1428700 - 1973/4)

Thanks for your input,

Rick

Old December 3rd 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Steve Byatt

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Plucked from my inbox....
>
>>> Given the amount of oil that this thing has burned since I was
>>> unfortunate enough to spot it and buy it on Ebay I would guess

>>Why do I hate the word "guess"??

>>> that it was just generally badly worn. Probably

>>"probably" a word just like "guess". I hate the word.
>>Be sure, don't accept "probably", get the job done correctly.

> Its having pistons/rings/bearings/shells/bores and an oil pump. What
> else would you do to get the job done properly?
>
> 'Guess' and 'Probably', you may have guessed by now that I am probably
> not a mechanic, or an engineer.
> Hence the use of the words.
>
>>> from not getting enough oil.
>>> I pity the poor mechanic who I took it to when it first failed, it is
>>> probably

>>should I repeat myself??????

>>> wearing him down as much as it is me.
>>> *I know they burn lots of oil

>>who tried to make you believe that????

> Err, do you read this group?
>
>>Properly maintaned angines di not burn oil!!!!

So... where does the oil go then? My GTA has a "properly maintained" engine
but still drinks more than Gazza.

> Should I repeat myself??????
>
>>> but I have put 7 x 5 litre cans in it since April, do about 150 miles
>>> per
>>> week max, and it has been off the road for about 25% of the time.
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>

>>Can't surpress the feeling you'll be in trouble again shortly.
>>Therefor "Good luck" (oh how do I hate the word "luck".........)

> Well here's another word you may take exception to, 'hope'
>
>>--
>>Ciao from The Netherlands
>>alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)
>>GT 2.0 JTS (2005)
>>Montreal 2.6V8 (1428700 - 1973/4)

> Thanks for your input,
>
> Rick

Had to put the back seat in today... Kate[_3_] Jeep 11 September 7th 06 11:06 PM
LLB strikes back Old Wolf Driving 11 July 20th 06 08:03 PM
replacement seats for a 1988 CRX DX with good back support? [email protected] Honda 1 October 19th 05 12:13 PM
tomorrow, it joins a poultice too inner throughout her humble autumn Jessica General 0 January 15th 05 11:47 AM