A/C Clutch Question

Old June 18th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default A/C Clutch Question

The compressor on my '00 Voyager 2.4 siezed, and the clutch melted
down, so I've ordered a replacement compressor. The car uses a 10PA17C
compressor with a 6 groove belt. It's effectively the same compressor
as what's on my ''95 Eagle vision except with a different pulley on the
clutch. My issue is that the clutch wiring on the new compressor is
different than what's on my van. The van had a oval connector with two
tiny contacts in it. The new clutch has a round connector with a
single contact in it. This new connector is the same as the one on my
'95 Eagle. Is there a way to wire this so that it will work? Is there
any adapter harness that I can get?

I went a head and mounted the new compressor with the hope that I'd be
able to overcome this obstacle. The compressor itself wasn't too bad
to mount. It was the receiver drier that was a trial to install
because of it's sheltered location.

Old June 18th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I would think that the missing connection on the new unit is ground. So
it appears they now get the ground through the connection of the
compressor bolted onto the engine.. and eventually getting to chassis
ground. I would just hook up the power connection to the new clutch.
Should work fine...

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old June 18th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Telstar Electronics wrote:
> I would think that the missing connection on the new unit is ground. So
> it appears they now get the ground through the connection of the
> compressor bolted onto the engine.. and eventually getting to chassis
> ground. I would just hook up the power connection to the new clutch.
> Should work fine...
>
> www.telstar-electronics.com

I have repaired a simular problem by doing s splice. that is cutting
the wire before the connector and doing the same on the old one then
sodering the old connector wires to the new. If indeed the missing wire
is a ground you and either leave it off or sodder it to the hot wire.
at anyrate you will have your old connector end now and should beable
to just plug it in with no problem.

WARNING only do this if you know what your doing. and the wires are
easily accessable. also leave enough exra wire incare you have to
resplice. I would only recomend this if the wireing is easy ie 3 wires
or 2 and not an entire wire harness.

Old June 18th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Old June 18th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Omegasupreme wrote:
> Telstar Electronics wrote:
>
>>I would think that the missing connection on the new unit is ground. So
>>it appears they now get the ground through the connection of the
>>compressor bolted onto the engine.. and eventually getting to chassis
>>ground. I would just hook up the power connection to the new clutch.
>>Should work fine...
>>
>>www.telstar-electronics.com

> I have repaired a simular problem by doing s splice. that is cutting
> the wire before the connector and doing the same on the old one then
> sodering the old connector wires to the new. If indeed the missing wire
> is a ground you and either leave it off or sodder it to the hot wire.
> at anyrate you will have your old connector end now and should beable
> to just plug it in with no problem.
>
> WARNING only do this if you know what your doing. and the wires are
> easily accessable. also leave enough exra wire incare you have to
> resplice. I would only recomend this if the wireing is easy ie 3 wires
> or 2 and not an entire wire harness.

Hi...

I'd strongly recommend that you not consider connecting the
missing ground wire to the hot one.

Take care.

Ken

Old June 18th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"bruce" > wrote in message
> I went a head and mounted the new compressor with the hope that I'd be
> able to overcome this obstacle. The compressor itself wasn't too bad
> to mount. It was the receiver drier that was a trial to install
> because of it's sheltered location.

Just a question....did you flush out the system? I guess I would be a
little
concerned, and perhaps unduly so, that I should have flushed it and maybe
even replaced the expansion valve or tube or whatever is involved in your
system...