clutch royally f-ed

Old January 5th 04, 09:18 PM
James

Default clutch royally f-ed

I drive a 97 Pathfinder SE with 4by and manual tranny. Recently, the
clutch pedal has stopped working. If the car is in gear, it is hard to
get out of gear. If it is out of gear, it is nearly impossible to get
into gear. It is as if the clutch pedal is not dis-engaging all the
way (or at all sometimes) from the flywheel. Has anybody else
expeirienced or heard of this?
The dealer reccomended that the Master Cylinder for the clutch be
replaced, but that only fixed the problem for a few days--already I
can hardly shift again!!
Old January 5th 04, 10:57 PM
Roger Brown

James wrote:

> I drive a 97 Pathfinder SE with 4by and manual tranny. Recently, the
> clutch pedal has stopped working. If the car is in gear, it is hard to
> get out of gear. If it is out of gear, it is nearly impossible to get
> into gear. It is as if the clutch pedal is not dis-engaging all the
> way (or at all sometimes) from the flywheel. Has anybody else
> expeirienced or heard of this?
> The dealer reccomended that the Master Cylinder for the clutch be
> replaced, but that only fixed the problem for a few days--already I
> can hardly shift again!!

There is also a slave cylinder. A bad m/c is usually indicated by fluid leaking down off the clutch pedal.

--
Roger
Old January 5th 04, 10:57 PM
Roger Brown

Old January 5th 04, 11:31 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/5/04 13:18, James's monkeys randomly typed:

> I drive a 97 Pathfinder SE with 4by and manual tranny. Recently, the
> clutch pedal has stopped working. If the car is in gear, it is hard to
> get out of gear. If it is out of gear, it is nearly impossible to get
> into gear. It is as if the clutch pedal is not dis-engaging all the
> way (or at all sometimes) from the flywheel. Has anybody else
> expeirienced or heard of this?
> The dealer reccomended that the Master Cylinder for the clutch be
> replaced, but that only fixed the problem for a few days--already I
> can hardly shift again!!

Looks like they just did a guess and swap rather than a diagnosis.
It could be that they just didn't bleed it properly after replacing
the master cylinder. Or you could have a bad slave cylinder or
the clutch release itself. Once you get down in the clutch area,
is almost always cheaper to shotgun it and replace everything since
the parts are cheaper than the labor to get at them.

Still, would expect the dealer to have done at least 30 seconds
of testing before swapping anything...silly me.

--
Fan of the dumbest team in America.

Old January 5th 04, 11:31 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Clutch Questions Jeff Strickland BMW 5 December 14th 04 11:45 PM
Burning clutch on brand new A4 Peter Bell Audi 2 November 8th 04 07:00 PM