Refurbishing CA license plates?/68 steering wheel on a 67?

Old February 14th 05, 07:27 AM
Emil Hoff

Default Refurbishing CA license plates?/68 steering wheel on a 67?

I have a '67 with the original gold-on-black California license plates.
Of course, they show their age. Does anybody have any info on
technique (and legality) of refurbishing license plates?

Also, I need to replace the old, cracked, grungy steering wheel. I
really don't care for that foam-plastic "booby," though, and I'd like to
put in a '68 wheel instead. I've been told that a '68 steering wheel
won't go on a '67 steering column, though no one could tell me exactly
why. Could someone explain this in detail, and if there's some way to
adapt it? If I got a '68 wheel and column, would they work on a '67
gear box? (I *really* don't like the '67 booby.)

TIA

Old February 14th 05, 12:07 PM
vince garcia

Emil Hoff wrote:

> I have a '67 with the original gold-on-black California license plates.
> Of course, they show their age. Does anybody have any info on
> technique (and legality) of refurbishing license plates?

If they're straight but just have worn paint and such, you could go
ahead and strip them by using muriatic acid (swimming pool acid). That
would take the paint off, and then you could relaquer them. Personally,
I'd simply have a duplicate set made up from one of the license plate
manufacturers. Technically illegal, tho, but who would know?

> Also, I need to replace the old, cracked, grungy steering wheel. I
> really don't care for that foam-plastic "booby," though, and I'd like to
> put in a '68 wheel instead. I've been told that a '68 steering wheel
> won't go on a '67 steering column, though no one could tell me exactly
> why. Could someone explain this in detail, and if there's some way to
> adapt it? If I got a '68 wheel and column, would they work on a '67
> gear box? (I *really* don't like the '67 booby.)

I don't know what a 67 wheel would not work on a 68 column or gearbox
but maybe someone knows something i don't on that
Old February 14th 05, 02:27 PM
Ralph Snart

>> Also, I need to replace the old, cracked, grungy steering wheel. I
>> really don't care for that foam-plastic "booby," though, and I'd like to
>> put in a '68 wheel instead. I've been told that a '68 steering wheel
>> won't go on a '67 steering column, though no one could tell me exactly
>> why. Could someone explain this in detail, and if there's some way to
>> adapt it? If I got a '68 wheel and column, would they work on a '67
>> gear box? (I *really* don't like the '67 booby.)

> I don't know what a 67 wheel would not work on a 68 column or gearbox
> but maybe someone knows something i don't on that

In 1967 Ford changed the steering column setup midway thru the production
year. One setup has a shorter column with a ragjoint between the steering
shaft and the steering box, and the other has a straight column taht goes
all the way to the steering box. You can compare and contrast the 2
steering columns; if you're lucky it may be a simple bolt in replacement.

Old February 14th 05, 03:28 PM
Dana H. Myers

vince garcia wrote:

> If they're straight but just have worn paint and such, you could go
> ahead and strip them by using muriatic acid (swimming pool acid). That
> would take the paint off, and then you could relaquer them. Personally,
> I'd simply have a duplicate set made up from one of the license plate
> manufacturers. Technically illegal, tho, but who would know?

In California, the license plate manufacturers are inmates
in the state prison system...

;-)

Dana
Old February 14th 05, 05:25 PM
Garth Almgren

On 2/13/2005 11:27 PM, Emil Hoff wrote:

> I have a '67 with the original gold-on-black California license plates.
> Of course, they show their age. Does anybody have any info on
> technique (and legality) of refurbishing license plates?

http://www.darrylsplates.com was recommended in the big block group
once. Seems like quality work, and I can't see how making a license
plate _more_legible_ without altering it's original appearance would be
illegal...

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old February 14th 05, 06:28 PM
Spike

match the colors... base coat of black, make a template to allow the
gold to just cover the top surface of the letters/numbers?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:27:25 GMT, Emil Hoff >
wrote:

>I have a '67 with the original gold-on-black California license plates.
> Of course, they show their age. Does anybody have any info on
>technique (and legality) of refurbishing license plates?
>
>Also, I need to replace the old, cracked, grungy steering wheel. I
>really don't care for that foam-plastic "booby," though, and I'd like to
>put in a '68 wheel instead. I've been told that a '68 steering wheel
>won't go on a '67 steering column, though no one could tell me exactly
>why. Could someone explain this in detail, and if there's some way to
>adapt it? If I got a '68 wheel and column, would they work on a '67
>gear box? (I *really* don't like the '67 booby.)
>
>TIA

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old February 16th 05, 12:21 AM
Rick Olive

Did this for CA plates long ago for a '65 E-Type. IF the plates are
straight match the colors then strip 'em. Apply the gold first (3-4
coats and let it dry between). Now apply the black (same same). Using
very fine sandpaper and a sanding block carefully knock off the black.
Just like new!

Old February 16th 05, 01:45 AM

I've used a guy who does business as Mojo Art Works. One warning,
though, is to run a plastic cover on the front. My front plate was
trashed beyond belief on its maiden voyage, a 5000 mile sprint through
11 western states and two provinces.

180 Out

Old February 16th 05, 06:02 AM
Spike

As I recall, it's illegal to cover a plate in CA... primarily because
of all the plastic covers designed to defeat radar/laser devices.
Better check that before doing so. If it's still illegal, it would be
a perfect invite to be stopped....